• Young (Ramsey 69)
    • Bailey (Buendía 74)
    • Augustinsson (Digne 82)
    • Dendoncker (Luiz 83)
    • Archer (Ings 83)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/11/22 at 23:59

44 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I agree but I am sort of amazed it wasn’t given… the standard of referring is so poor they seem obsessed with making headlines and being the star of the show. 

Some will say it's a stone wall penalty, mainly because of all the instances we have seen in previous games, it's actually quite shocking and unbelievable, but they got that call bang on, VAR how it's supposed work. 

• Like 2

On balance, it’s probably a penalty. But if it was given against us, I not sure it would make the top ten or twenty of terrible decisions made against us since we’ve returned to the top flight. 

Anyway…fantastic result for us today.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

1 hour ago, swollef said:

Who gives a flying  F**k    

How many have we had refused

Remember when Trez didn't get a penalty against Brighton because the ball may have just touched the Brighton defender's foot?

Unwittingly granted, but Digne's standing foot takes the ball.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Some will say it's a stone wall penalty, mainly because of all the instances we have seen in previous games, it's actually quite shocking and unbelievable, but they got that call bang on, VAR how it's supposed work. 

Disagree. It’s a penalty. I’m amazed it wasn’t given. It’s a heavy touch by Digne and the Brighton player nips in before getting absolutely pelted. Not sure how Digne’s standing foot ‘gets the ball’. 

But I don’t care. We’ve had some howlers given against us in recent times so we deserve a bit of luck. 

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

It isn't the Brighton player moving towards Digne that makes the contact.

It's Dignes air shot that makes the contact. An air shot he makes because the Brighton player got to the ball first.

The next "phase" where the ball has hit the defenders standing leg dont override that for me (even if that happened before Digne booted the Brighton player).

Be interested to see if Brighton get a VAR apology as I thought it was a stonewall penalty. Kicking someone isn't negated because the ball touched another part of your body

He didn't get to ball first, the ball hit Dignes standing leg , watch the replay FFs .

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

. Not sure how Digne’s standing foot ‘gets the ball’. 

It's straight forward physics , the ball hit his shin then bounces towards the Brighton players boot, how can they call that a penalty, they can't say Dignes standing leg wasn't meant to hit the ball and give a penalty. Don't you think it hit his standing leg? Or do you think the Brighton player got there first (he didn't) 

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

A coming together? Digne boots his ankle and doesn’t kick the ball. How is it not a penalty? It’s accidental, granted, but it’s still a blatant penalty/foul. Without question. 

Digne was in mid swing so he could not stop his momentum...not his fault that brighton player ran into him and got a boot in the ass

Edited by OLDVILLAIN
drunk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Digne was in mid swing so he could not stop his momentum...not his fault that brighton players ran into him and got a boot in the ass

This is bang on, I've seen them given, but is not a penalty, a rare occasion VAR has worked.

Don’t give a toss about the VAR decision, some people seem more upset about it than the obvious foul on Luiz for the goal. Heavy contact is made on Luiz’s standing leg before he steals the ball, not so much hot air being spouted about that. Also I bet that angle wasn’t shown to the VAR official given how quickly the goal was awarded.Who decides what to replay to VAR ref ?

• Like 2

My word that was gritty, turgid, cynical and even a bit agricultural at times......

.... and I loved every minute of it!

Been a long time since I have seen us be ruthless enough to do everything inside the rules (and a fair few outside) to get the win.

Great stuff.

• Like 2

Not seen the non penalty for Brighton, but does annoy me when it seems Villa are scrutinised more than the leading Nazi's were at the Nuremberg war trials when VAR's do us a favour.

And yet the other way round, when Kane trips over his own feet, he is called clever

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Galway Lion said:

Don’t give a toss about the VAR decision, some people seem more upset about it than the obvious foul on Luiz for the goal. Heavy contact is made on Luiz’s standing leg before he steals the ball, not so much hot air being spouted about that. Also I bet that angle wasn’t shown to the VAR official given how quickly the goal was awarded.Who decides what to replay to VAR ref ?

Agreed. Luiz was fouled for their goal. I don't see anyone disagreeing with that viewpoint though, hence why it's not getting much air time here.

It's just another example of VAR trying to screw us over. So much so, that I'm convinced that is why they didn't give Brighton a penalty for the Digne incident. Even if you don't think it was a penalty, it is still being given every time against us. For the first time ever a VAR decision went our way, and I am convinced it was them evening up the Brighton goal they failed to disallow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, chappy said:

England win the World Cup in the morning and Villa win in the afternoon, what a day!

This confused the hell out of me. I only just found out there was some sort of cricket game on. 

Â