• Young (Ramsey 69)
    • Bailey (Buendía 74)
    • Augustinsson (Digne 82)
    • Dendoncker (Luiz 83)
    • Archer (Ings 83)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/11/22 at 23:59

Great result, solid enough performance if not pretty, restricted Brighton to one single chance other than the goal we gifted them.

I guess in an ideal world it’d be nice to see us knocking the ball around the team to wind down time but then we’re not Man City and we’ll probably never be Man City. So in the absence of that I guess being ‘professional’ (or outright shithousing) will have to do, even if it is pretty tedious.

Fantastic start for Emery and now an extended break to make us better again hopefully.

Thought there were a lot of good, combative individual performances today and it would be easy to give Ings MoTM for his two goals but truth be told neither were good finishes so I went for McGinn who I thought put in probably his best performance of the season to date (albeit he’s starting from a low bar).

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Gave Douglas Luiz motm just for how well he reacted to his mistake plus the shithousery of him turning to celebrate in from of MacAllister. Could have went to 6 or 7 players though. 

It was Martinez's mistake.

What a difference a manager make. Yes, we still make silly mistakes at times, but overall we make more things right than wrong.

Our “crap” players suddenly looks like they belong in Premier League, even McGinn wasn’t useless.

The impact Emery have had is beyond my wildest dreams, we should be able to get into the top half easily.

Have to admit I closed my eyes instinctively the moment Augustinsson came on, and kept them shut for the rest of the match.

Did he do as bad as in the midweek, or were there any redeeming qualities to spot?

• Like 1

We pretty much shit-housed our way to victory with time-wasting and tactical fouling (7 yellow cards?) and I have slightly mixed feelings about it.   Obviously great to get the three points and we've probably long needed to be more cunning and clever instead of our usual naivety but that was a bit much for me.  Martinez is going to get two yellows one of these days for his fannying around. I'd rather we could see out a game by keeping the ball and talking it to the corners than just keep giving it back to them and sit deep.

But we were solid, we stopped a very good in-form side from playing for much of the game and created a few good chances ourselves. 

The officials, the linesmen as well as  the ref,  got so many easy decisions wrong today it was quite something even by the usual PL low-bar officiating standards. 

The Kamara booking was a joke - yes he went in high but won the ball, the other player went in just as high but was late, so who has committed a foul there?  These seem to be given all the time these days where the guy who doesn't get the ball gets caught by a follow through and falls to the floor screaming gets given the foul.  It's pathetic.   

I think Digne was lucky to get away with the penalty shout though even though we've had worse ones turned down.

Credit to McGinn, not great on the ball, but he worked harder than anyone to frustrate them last 20 minutes. 

Anyhoo, 5 points off bottom three, only four points off top 6 and three away from a European place, which is a lot better than I expected just a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 2

Fantastic result.

I'm extremely pleased with that. To come from behind and win is something I thought was impossible for this group of players.

We didn't play well, but had a few good moments, and had to defend really well. These kind of results is what get teams like ours European football. It's not the outplay the opposition and win a majority of the time, thats for the teams with the very best players.  Half the time we will need to grind out a win when we deserve a draw, or grind out a draw when we should lose.

Throw in we lacked any real pace in attack and had McGinn on the pitch (who actually did okay, but still lacked quality).

Referee was rubbish as usual, however the commentary was worse, as usual! The commentary is so biased, ill informed, and inaccurate these days.

Martinez - 6 - Poor pass to Luiz for their goal. Otherwise solid.

Cash - 7 - Solid in defense, good pull back for Buendia's header against the post.

Konsa - 7 - Cleaned everything up that Mings couldn't, poor playing out from the back. Need a better centre back so he can play back up ideally.

Mings - 8 - Imperious at the back today. Too slow on the ball when playing out for my liking.

Digne - 7 - Did well defensively, penned in and couldn't really contribute going forward. The rejected penalty shout was rightly rejected. If that was a penalty, then Mac Allisters goal should've been ruled out for a foul.

Kamara - 7 - Worked hard, usaually in the right place at right time defensively, going to be a very important player for us, not there yet though.

Luiz -8 - Good distribution as usual, put himself about, caught unawares on the goal, but was played into trouble. More than made up for that with the assist.

McGinn - 7 - Worked hard, disrupted Brighton well, Won the penalty, but got bypassed too easliy on his flank at times.

Buendia - 6 - Worked hard, played some good passes, but also gave the ball away a lot. Should've scored that header.

Ramsey - 8 - Did well defensively, worked hard, assisted the penalty. Was our most dangerous player. Faded in the second half.

Ings - 8 - Scored two goals! Although the penalty was nearly saved, and the second got a lucky deflection. Linked up well at times, but did little else outside the goals. Not a viable option in the medium to long term.

Subs:

Bailey - 6 - Didn't really offer the threat we would expect, but was ill. Worked hard and defended as best he could.

Augustinson - 6 - Defended okay, not much else to say.

Young - 6 - Played as an outside right back / wing back. Did little on the ball, gave Cash extra protection.

Archer - 6 - Ran hard and pressed well, looked bright, but had nothing to feed off.

DenDonker - 6 - Stronger defensive presense than Luiz, almost played as a third centre back at times.

• Like 2

That was a brilliant result, and the time wasting at the end was superb.

A great effort by the entire team. This manager is amazing.

Ings was MOM. His best game for us. Although McGinn was MOM in extra time. (I thought it was an error to play him, but what do I know.)

All the players are responding to the manager.

Happy times ahead. 👍👍👍

• Like 1

Great 3 points, it certainly wasn't pretty and we also got a bit of fortune.The amount of possession we gave away will need to be fixed though as we will get a spanking from teams with better forwards than Brighton if we continue cheaply giving it away.

Mcginn did well for the last 20 minutes but was again very wasted and despite his 20 minutes of good play, I prefer it when he doesn't play as we look calmer and have better retention.
3 wins in our last 4 though and 2 out.of 2 for emery 

• Like 1

Â