• Young (Ramsey 69)
    • Bailey (Buendía 74)
    • Augustinsson (Digne 82)
    • Dendoncker (Luiz 83)
    • Archer (Ings 83)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/11/22 at 23:59

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

A coming together? Digne boots his ankle and doesn’t kick the ball. How is it not a penalty? It’s accidental, granted, but it’s still a blatant penalty/foul. Without question. 

And this is what you get out of our first away win of the season? Yeah, forget about two wins in a row in the league with a new manger. Focus on the negative.... And by the way, no way was that a penalty. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Lomaski said:

The replay is clear, the Brighton player gets to the ball first and hits it against Digne's standing leg, who then kicks the Brighton player. Penalty all day long and, for a change, we get lucky at the hands of VAR.

You can't just run into someone who's about to clear the ball from his own penalty area and claim a pen. If it were that easy it would be used as a tactic every game by every club and the game would be littered with penalties all the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

You can't just run into someone who's about to clear the ball from his own penalty area and claim a pen. If it were that easy it would be used as a tactic every game by every club and the game would be littered with penalties all the time.

No-one runs into anyone, March moves in and wins the ball and is then kicked, which by definition is a foul, so yes, it's a penalty.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, a-k said:

image.jpeg.f4b67856cef71d3ab1d61654256c59e4.jpeg

Vile man , belongs in the gutter, showed his true colours when the spitting incident occured, Sky should have sacked him. Besides his personality issues, his football knowledge sucks.

Edited by Podster

Was looking at the Brighton forum to see what they thought of all that and a lot of them were also complaining about this guy Undav they had up front. I had no idea he existed and I watched the game

Saw MOTD's slowed down zoomed in replay of the Digne challenge and yeah it's a pen. They also made a  convincing case for the Brighton goal being a foul as well though, had mostly turned away from the screen in disgust when it first went in. Mostly surprisingly effusive about Ings and Villa's positional organisation, with no reference at all to our scandalous tactics in the last 30

34 minutes ago, Lomaski said:

No-one runs into anyone, March moves in and wins the ball and is then kicked, which by definition is a foul, so yes, it's a penalty.

Ah, he "moves" in, he doesn't run into the kick, I see. 🙄

It's not a penalty and wasn't given as a penalty either by on field official or VAR, move on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, est1874 said:

Ah, he "moves" in, he doesn't run into the kick, I see. 🙄

It's not a penalty and wasn't given as a penalty either by on field official or VAR, move on.

He doesn't run into the kick - he wins the ball and touches it away from Digne who then wallops him because Digne was already in the motion of trying to clear it.

It is a pen by the rules but thank f**k for once we got the run of the green. Been too long.

As for the way we won. I have absolutely no problem with that.

In fact if we did that and won every game 1-0 and won the league I'd have no problem with it. Mainly because that wouldn't happen.

Last week, we played Manure off the pitch in front of our home fans and looked dangerous every time we went forward.

This week, away from home we won in a different way. It's an elite sport and you do what you do to win. Congrats to the whole team and Unai.

• Like 4

A thoroughly, thoroughly professional performance.  Having a clear sense of organisation and approach gives us so much more presence on the pitch.  'Resilience' isn't a word that's been synonymous with Villa for quite some time but that's absolutely what we were.  For Emery to achieve this in a matter of weeks is impressive and exciting.  I thought we reduced Brighton to what they appear to be, from my ever so casual eye: a clever, neat, but essentially very ordinary football side.  Most of that was down to a sorely missed sense of order and players given the confidence to absolutely commit to their command.  Very heartening.

TODAY'S PLAYER RATINGS (season's average in here)

MARTINEZ 7 (6.6) Brighton pressed but never pierced our backline and Martinez did almost everything right, standing stoutly behind our formidable defence.  Science may wish to study his ability to stretch and manipulate time.

MINGS 7 (6.85) Some shaky moments early on were superseded by Mings calming down, not getting too agitated, and rediscovering his head.  Mings managed himself well, if that makes sense.

KONSA 8 (6) Another excellent performance.  Classic Konsa in a way, measured, timely, composed and intelligent with the minimum fuss.  Mopped up everything, doing the little things but getting virtually every little thing right.

DIGNE 7 (5.78) Quietly commanding on the left flank, frustrating Brighton time and time again.  A lapse in concentration for the penalty incident.

CASH 7 (6) Fought earnestly, as he always does, and part of an impressively organised defensive performance, but would have liked to have seen a bit more of the surge he provided moments before Ings's decisive winner.

KAMARA 8 (6.63) Composure personified.  So calm, assured and organised the guy should, and almost certainly could, play in a tux.  An obvious gem.

LUIZ 6 (6.31) Pretty quiet today although we're much tidier when he's on the pitch.  Made up for the looseness of the first goal (that was probably more Martinez's fault) with a crucial challenge for the winning goal.  A worthy vindication.

MCGINN 6 (4.8) Amidst the missing periods, incomplete passes and general sense of pointlessness at least got himself around the pitch a bit.  A few moments of choice arsework towards the end.

BUENDIA 6 (5.79) Not his day today.  In certain formations and with particular personnel Buendia really hums.  But he can sometimes seem a little disconnected from everyone else.  I'm still a big fan but it's fair to expect a little more at times.

RAMSAY 6 (5.8) Played a little within himself today.  Perhaps isn't going to thrive if Emery's given approach is more of a neutering, containing one.  He can't be the Boy Wonder every week.

INGS 8 (6.18) Much more than his two goals today, this was a classic attacking spearhead performance from Old Man Ings, full of lovely touches and telling interventions.  Lead the line, a real focal point at all times, played like he'd seen it all.  Reassuring that we can still get a very good return from legs that aren't quite still there.

YOUNG 7 (6.5) Quickly becoming a reassuring sight.  Which is slightly surprising but very welcome.

OTHER SUBS N/A (Fort well held by all)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrBlack said:

It's just another example of VAR trying to screw us over. So much so, that I'm convinced that is why they didn't give Brighton a penalty for the Digne incident. Even if you don't think it was a penalty, it is still being given every time against us. For the first time ever a VAR decision went our way, and I am convinced it was them evening up the Brighton goal they failed to disallow.

I think it's fair to say we remember the bad decisions that go against us more than the ones we get our way, that's pretty normal, but this perspective is crazy

Edited by Davkaus

7 hours ago, Hughes said:

And this is what you get out of our first away win of the season? Yeah, forget about two wins in a row in the league with a new manger. Focus on the negative.... And by the way, no way was that a penalty. 

I was there, had a great day. But it was a penalty.

Love some of those posts on "North Stand Chat", such as:

"Most will go back to Worcester or Stafford. Proper Brummies don’t support that lot." :D

A great win.

Was it a penalty? They always used to say that the referee's decision is final.... and it is now. ;)

A touch of the old Everton (back pass to the keeper from the half way line) and "1-0 to the Arsenal" about our time management yesterday... 12. Queen Elizabeth II - Page 117 - 2022 Names - DeathList Forum

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I enjoyed the MOTD analysis, they highlighted our defensive plan which worked exceptionally well. We look so well drilled already, the team know what to do and do it well, together as a unit. That’s in just over a week. There’s so many new features to our game that we’ve seen in such a short space of time. 

Also loved Douggie’s reaction to our second goal. Straight round to celebrate in Mac Allister’s direction, superb stuff. 

8 hours ago, est1874 said:

He isn't just running into him though.

Running for the ball and gets it first.

Digne is clearly fouling him.

Great win, and if we win more away from home by sh!thousing our way through the last 20 minutes then I'm on board that train.

Their non-penalty, well sometimes they're given and sometimes they're not. This one wasn't given so I'm not even going to waste time on it.

Kamara, Konsa and Ings were imperious today, and the rest stuck to their roles effectively. 

What a nice way to finish off the pre world cup part of the season, and if you'd have told me a month ago Unai Emery was going to come in and win his first two league matches, Man Ure (H) and Brighton (A) I'd have been suggesting you lay off the crack.

UTV

• Like 1

I think VAR acted how it should act. It wasn't a clear and obvious error, it was line ball, split second thing where the player in possession has arguably fouled a guy tackling him. Clearly Digne wasn't trying to foul, he was trying to clear the ball and missed it by a split second. 

But it was a foul and VAR would usually give a penalty there. Oh well. We've been on the wrong end of similar VAR decisions so I'm not going to feel bad about it. 

I absolutely think we could have had a free kick for their first goal, so it's swings and roundabouts as usual with these decisions.

• Like 1

Â