• Bailey (Ramsey 59)
    • Buendía (Ings 59)
    • Mings (Konsa 59)
    • Cash (Young 74)
    • Digne (Augustinsson 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/11/22 at 23:59

The high line is suicide without strong press on the ball. Needs practice but in time can work.

The team was clearly instructed to play out from the back. Which worked sometimes but needed better moment-to-moment decision making when the play simply wasn't there. 

I hope Emery doesn't try to empty his complete encyclopedia of football in the players head all at once. These boys are sensitive after all the pain and confusion the last 12 months. 

I’ve been a villa fan for a very long time now and I don’t think any individual performance has ever made me so aggressively angry as Olsen has tonight. I can’t describe how angry he has made me. That pass to United for the third goal is straight out of the “I’m throwing the game” handbook. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Can’t remember seeing worse goalkeeping for Villa. Maybe Nyland in one of his games. But one player lost this game, which feels like a terrible thing to say, but we win that game with Emi in goal, or at least any kind of competent replacement. 

I hope we never see Olsen in goal for us again. 

Let’s win on Sunday and remember that we’re in safe hands under Emery, and we’ll only improve going forward.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, messi11 said:

The Honeymoon is Over Mr Emery!

The high line killed us today! Just wouldn't play that against the pace of Rashford and co. Stupid really.

Starting Oslen killed us the most. clearly not comfortable passing out and also decided dip goalkeeping gloves in butter which is not fault of the managers. 

Expect better against Brighton. 

Wow

1 minute ago, Lerner's Driver said:

That's fair.

Now he knows. 

He needed to see them in a competitive game so this was better than in the league.

I'm ok with the performance on the most part, and I'm fine with the result.

Emery is going to make mistakes as he learns what the squad can do.

He now knows we need a new backup keeper and a mcginn upgrade.

Think he knew we needed better defenders already.

I can't believe how much of a free pass Cash is getting either, dreadful when he came on

• Like 1

to be honest, i think overall there are a lot of positives to take from that game, you can see what Emery is trying to do.

we played on the front foot and with energy, we didnt sit back and defend, concede possession and live with our hearts in our mouths, i can actually see what we are trying to do, and some players look good, its nice to see a team out there playing and i kind of understand what we are trying to do, even if it doesnt work all the time.

However, some players really showed themselves up tonight, we literally handed them 3 goals on a plate, literally 3 goals and they did virtually nothing for them.

Olsen should be sacked after that performance, shockingly bad.

Chambers tbh cant play the high line emery likes, he's too slow and doesnt track players well, he just isnt suited to the emery style tbh, wasnt sure before, but it was clear tonight.

McGinn is just so slow and ponderous, shouldnt be anywhere near the starting 11.

But, overall, i think most of the team, and the style of play showed some real positives overall, the 3 stupid gifted goals aside.

• Like 2

Awful defending and lacked composure throughout, but we were good in parts. Hopefully Unai Emery has seen what we all have and found this useful. 

We’ve just put five past United in a week, and we’re all disappointed. Time to move on and plan for Brighton, with Olsen, Chambers and McGinn on the bench. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Cue the overreactions...  Knew this was going to happen after our first loss...

1st half was great and shows Emery's tactical preparation.  Completely shut them down at home and patiently probed forward to create a few chances.  2nd half was a shitshow...  Poor performances from our bench players (Olsen twice, Chambers, & Augustinsson) cost us the game.  Substitutions were good, rotating out players who will be playing on Sunday and got us back into the game after their 1st goal.  Bailey and Buendia looked bright from the bench and Watkins showed both his best and his worst tonight.  JJ is going to thrive in this role on the wing, but McGinn looks horrific.  The Kamara/Luiz partnership in the center looked solid again and Konsa was again punching above his normal showing tonight.  Plenty of things to be happy about, IMO.

MoM:  Ashley Young...  Still shocked that he's 37 because he plays like he is 7-8 years younger.  Was our best player tonight.

Exactly right, couldn't have put it better myself. I expect a few household Villa names to be moved on come the next two transfer windows.

• Like 2

Mings changed the game when he came on. Him and Chambers were just horrible, ridiculously bad. Olsen obviously too.

Emery is new, so I won't slack him, but many wrong choices today. ManU threw long balls all game, and we just stuck to the high line.  Not brilliant.

Young by far our best player today.

Â