• Bailey (Ramsey 59)
    • Buendía (Ings 59)
    • Mings (Konsa 59)
    • Cash (Young 74)
    • Digne (Augustinsson 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/11/22 at 23:59

Regardless of individual performances, we conceded twice (could have been more) when we were one goal ahead due to a ridiculous high defensive line which was getting destroyed. That had to be addressed at once. It wasn't and we conceded again.

We can blame Olsen all we like (and he's worse than Nyland as far as I'm concerned), but the problems started before he could display his inadequacy.

I hope Emery realises that straight away and we don't have to witness such masochism again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blunther said:

Young did well I thought. 

Manager, as much as I love him, gets a poor from me for the keeper choice. He's not good enough for this level. I get giving the second choice a run out if he's a competitive keeper, but it's not a **** charity. Martinez should be in goal in the cups until we get a second keeper that cam push him for the right to play. 

I’m happy if Martinez plays against Brighton. Wouldn’t be surprised if he had some mystical niggle soon to avoid injury before the WC.

McGinn just lacks the quality to consistently make his passes, and control a football. Sorry Meatball, but you have been awful all season.

Mcginn continously left Cash exposed.

Olsen is not good enough.

Mings lacked any intensity coming on as a sub.

The defense went into panic mode as soon as we conceded the first goal.

Once again the performance levels dropped as soon as we went behind.

Ref was awful.

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He picked him and I have no idea why. 

I hate managers binning trophies to rotate players that don't need rotating.

Olsen has no loyalty to Emery. Emery didn't sign him and promise him cup games.

Why did he play him.

Winnable game.

Winnable cup tbfh 

I’m afraid I agree with a lot of this. The club bangs on about winning trophies but then changes 4 of the back 5 in the third round, 4 days before a 6 week break. 

I don’t think we were that bad tonight and Olsen was primarily the reason we lost but that’s just it isn’t it, he shouldn’t have been playing. 

Of all the positions on a football pitch, the keeper does not need to be rested. 

4 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Ben fosters retired 

If you listen to his show, he said he'd come back as reserve keeper for a prem team as be happy to work with the number 1, and also mentioned us. 

I'd be on the phone tomorrow to him if I was emery

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Villa 59 said:

Hope our first half performance is not a sign of things to come under Unai as it was bloody awful!

we had most of the b team on first half....so not worried at all.

• Like 1

Just now, AVTuco said:

Mings changed the game when he came on. Him and Chambers were just horrible, ridiculously bad. Olsen obviously too.

Emery is new, so I won't slack him, but many wrong choices today. ManU threw long balls all game, and we just stuck to the high line.  Not brilliant.

Young by far our best player today.

Mings was dreadful. At times he can look far too casual. 

1 minute ago, Joshie2000 said:

If you listen to his show, he said he'd come back as reserve keeper for a prem team as be happy to work with the number 1, and also mentioned us. 

I'd be on the phone tomorrow to him if I was emery

It’s not for me tbh. He gets injured too. No point having an injury prone semi retired keeper 

Choosing to look at the bright side here which is that Emery has learned some very valuable lessons tonight:

• Never play Robin Olsen again and replace him as back-up ASAP.

• Augustinsson and Chambers are not starters either.

• Konsa and Mings, for first-choice centre-halves, are also suspect.

• McGinn is effectively done at this level. 90 mins of absolutely nothing tonight. And there is no feature of his game that is useful to us coming off the bench unless it's to use his arse to shield the ball at the corner flag in injury time, but even then...... 

• Watkins and Ings just can not play together. I don't care, they just can't. How many times have we tried it now? 3 different managers, 3 different systems, same shit result.

• Lots of work to do, lots of players to buy (again).

• Like 1

Game was very good in parts. Horrible in other.

Starting Olsen was a massive mistake. There was no reason to rest Martinez.

We know after Nyland how much panic attacks an unstable keeper can give to a defence.

I believe we would have won had we started with Martinez.

• Like 1

Â