73 members have voted

1. 1. Will you watch the World Cup

• Yes, As any games as possible
    • None, complete boycott
    • Your own countries games
    • Just the big games
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/11/22 at 23:59

Issues have been speculated ao much already but about a week away. Just a poll to see what the support is for it

I am meh myself, will probably watch some games if they are on but not the same interest as other tournaments

• Like 1

The idealist in me is saying "Boycott, boycott, boycott" like an aggressive rottweiler.

Unfortunately, I can see myself watching (and being comatosed by) the home nations games, and anything that looks interesting.

Every world cup prior (last one slightly less so given Southgates borefest approach) I've known every game, scheduled my work and life commitments around England games and done everything I can to watch as many games as possible. 

There's a combination of factors but this year I think I'll probably just ignore the whole thing.

Factors being:

- the host - discriminatory, human rights abusing, murdering, backwards bunch of ****. I don't want to see the fruits of their slave labour.

- the timing - just doesn't feel right being in winter.

- the football - southgates going to destroy any enjoyment football brings, so no incentive to watch even our own games.

- the FA - corrupt and tone deaf, and showing no signs of getting better.

Not watching, if enough people do it, indirectly hurts the revenue's of the people that support this sham of a world cup. But realistically, its only by not going to it that anything would be felt. It's as strong a message as the average person can send.

Id normally be in a pub watching the game,  so in a time of hardship it won't be a bad thing if I spend less on beer than I might have done if it had been happening in a "normal" country at a normal time of year.

• Like 1

Selected "Undecided" cos I haven't really given it much thought. But more than likely will when the time comes. Though, i'm not really feeling enthusiastic or excited about it. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

Even if 3 million people boycott every game (and that's very generous) it's nothing but a drop in their money driven game.

But if you boycott it, I applaud you.

I will most likely be stuck and watch every minute of it if I can. 

26 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

It's a month of football on TV.  If I were to boycott all football in countries governed by words removed then I'd have to boycott all domestic football too.

My selfish issue is the timing. Summer I can use an excuse to meet up and watch with friends outside but Qatar vs Ecuador doesnt have the same appeal on a November night 

I think every football fan knows that professional football is corrupt.

A substantial part of the money which finds its way into the English professional leagues has dubious origins, and that bribery and backhanders are endemic in the game.

We know it and we do our absolute best to ignore it.

We know that the corruption reaches its most egregious when it comes to International tournaments - what's more, governments know it and say nothing.

We know that the limits of the moral code of those who play the game, amounts to as much cheating as can be got away with.

World Cups are famous for the cheating, whether it was Schumacher's assault on Battiston, the Mexican drug scandal, or the "hand of God".

Italy versus South Korea (2002) was one of the most scandalous games in World Cup history.

Boycotting the World Cup would be both futile, and an act of vanity.

I would say that the best option would be to watch it, but to spend as little money on it as possible.

Because the reason the media and governments are silent about the corruption, is that such tournaments generate money for business and tax revenue for governments.

So I'll definitely be watching!

I'll click on BBC news then on the sport, if there's a game on I fancy I might. But I won't be involved or looking forward to a game. 

I think Villa should have an open training session in the middle somewhere and invite fans along 

I won’t set out to watch any games. If I’m out having a drink and the pub I’m in has a game on, I’ll catch some of it. It’ll be to that extent alone, I’m not going to seek out a pub to ensure it’s on, or watch it at home.

I’ll keep an eye on the threads of the Villa players going, staying updated as to whether they’ve avoided injury. 

So for the sake of the poll, I’ve selected total boycott because it’s the closest option, but it likely won’t prove to be completely accurate.

• Like 1

I'll watch the odd game here and there, but I have no interest in the tournament and have not read a single article about the teams, groups or whatever.

Could not name you how any of the groups look or when they play. I'm even less interested in this than I am about the CL. 

Obviously I'd be more invested if Sweden had qualified and we had a different manager but there is so much about this tournament to dislike that it wouldn't have made much difference. I'm not even gonna bother with the WC betting thing we have at work.

Kinda feel sorry for whoever wins this championship because it will always be tainted and with a big * next to it.