73 members have voted

1. 1. Will you watch the World Cup

• Yes, As any games as possible
    • None, complete boycott
    • Your own countries games
    • Just the big games
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/11/22 at 23:59

Working from home so will have the games on in the background.   

I think a winter world cup sucks and the country its being played in makes it worse.   

But for the average man which I am then 4 games a day is great.  

The time to protest was when Russia and Qatar were awarded the tournaments.

Saving up now for 4 years time USA Canada and Mexico is what it's all about.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 13:45, zab6359 said:

don't care one bit, just want it over so we can get the boxing day games under way.

Absolutely, can't wait until football returns. The more I see on twitter and news what they are doing out there the more it fuels my resolve not to watch it.

Southgate drained what little love I had for international football away to the point I just can’t watch England play anymore … so that along with being way too busy at work means I’ve not watched any of it , not even to laugh at the welsh being humiliated 

maybe I’ll get into once the knockout stages start

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Oh, jesus, yes, as much as possible. Despite its myriad flaws, it's still the most interesting and democratic and exciting sporting event on earth. Truly nothing like it. 

FIFA and Qatar 22 is the very antithesis to democracy. This sport(swash)ing event and its organising bodies are corrupt to the core. 

What an odd choice of words.

• Like 2

The World Cup should be a celebration of unity and diversity. Nations coming together on the world stage to celebrate the beautiful game and the joy it brings to all people, regardless of their race, sexuality or religion. 

This in Qatar, this isn’t it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, El Zen said:

FIFA and Qatar 22 is the very antithesis to democracy. This sport(swash)ing event and its organising bodies are corrupt to the core. 

What an odd choice of words.

100% correct choice of words. I’m sure you agree that FIFA and Qatar are not tantamount to the sport of football as human endeavor. You don’t have to love FIFA to love and support an almost pan-global football tournament. 

5 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

100% correct choice of words. I’m sure you agree that FIFA and Qatar are not tantamount to the sport of football as human endeavor. You don’t have to love FIFA to love and support an almost pan-global football tournament. 

I love a World Cup. 

But this is a corrupt shitshow.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

So how did we all fare?

I think if I added up all of the minutes of viewing together, it would amount to maybe 100 minutes.

I caught the second half of the final and the penalty shootout (Sunday dinner took precedence meaning extra time was mostly missed). Last fifteen(ish) of Argentina - Australia and the last ten minutes of Morocco making Ronaldo cry made up the rest of the viewing.

Have read some of the relevant threads and the ever enjoyable Southgate chat. And seen the the odd clip here and there. For the record, Japan’s goal was still in play.

Sounds like people enjoyed it. That’s good. Can’t say I feel too bothered about missing it. International football just leaves me a bit cold.

I’m pleased for Emi.

My World Cup journal

I only watched a few games, I didn't go into the tournament thinking that I'd not watch the games out of some sort of moral outrage, it just so happened that mostly I didn't feel like watching, I think it was because of when it happened, this time of year just doesn't feel right for a World Cup, if it had have taken place in the summer I probably would have watched more if not the whole thing as I normally do.

I will probably watch more of the Women's World Cup in the summer, not because it's better, but because that's the right time for World Cup.

I watched maybe 5% of the tournament. Fell asleep during the second half of both the semis and turned it off after the second goal in the final.

Still more than any given CL season these days. Football is too broken for me to give it any time anymore.

Not a single game, not a single full attack. 

I was in a pub for the England-France game to drink with a mate, but the game more or less passed me by completely. 

To say I didn't watch any of it, I would be lying, but I never went out of my way to watch it, except for the Argentina penalty shootouts (to see Emi in action) a few hours later on youtube.

Whenever I was on night shift, usually somebody would put the games on, and I would watch a couple of minutes here and there. I never watched a full game though, because work, and the game that would happen to be on would be so batshitly boring.

Yet another thing grinding my gears is the gaslighting from FIFA trying to convince everyone that this is the best world cup ever. I call bullshit, and f*** you, FIFA!

• Like 1