Musk's Twitter Purchase

KentVillan

7 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Shouldn't they just have separate social media for the left and the right, so no one has to go on pretending that their platform is an uncensored platform where a balanced political view can be enjoyed?

Just let the lefties and righties have their own asylum where they enjoy their own lived experience.

No, the vast majority of Americans are between just left of centre to just right of centre.  Yes the minority are the loudest on the platform by a long way but it’s good for Americans to see both sides.  Then on top of that, only a small percentage of Americans use Twitter and Twitter is a fairly global platform and not only used for politics.  Also for us non-Americans, it daily laughter at the American craziness.

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

For claiming that the human right to free speech is pertinent when discussing the boneheaded moves of privately owned social media platform

Ah OK, probably not. Think the guy was just highlighting that shutting down journalists you don't agree with is a bit bad.

2 hours ago, bickster said:

No

I think it would be an interesting experiment because most people need to argue with others who disagree with them to reinforce their beliefs.

It's why Jehovah's Witnesses go out on the knock, having rehearsed all the answers to the most common doubts, they find their beliefs are strengthened, when they seem to win the argument.

With no common enemy to disagree with, believers begin to disagree with each other: that's why churches split into sects.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

10 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I think it would be an interesting experiment because most people need to argue with others who disagree with them to reinforce their beliefs.

It's why Jehovah's Witnesses go out on the knock, having rehearsed all the answers to the most common doubts, they find their beliefs are strengthened, when they seem to win the argument.

With no common enemy to disagree with, believers begin to disagree with each other: that's why churches split into sects.

Isn’t what you describe the Truth Social platform for right wingers?

32 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I've never heard of that!

Apparently it hasn't been a resounding success despite Trump championing it. As for Mastodon it's apparently a bit too complicated or whatever to be able to replace Twitter.

Or so I've been told. I have no experience of either.

Just now, bickster said:

That could be a good thing. A simpleton filter

Yeah guess so. But if they aim to grow (not sure it's a aim) it will hinder it. 

Isn't the thing with Mastodon that it's divided into sub categories? Be interesting to see how they solve financing if it does blow up. Somehow they will need to pay for the server halls and such.

Musk seems more and more like a dictator as this Twitter idiocy goes on. He says he’s a free speech fundamentalist, but that’s only when it supports his conservative pro-Putin views.

I hope Twitter keeps burning until there’s nothing left so he has to dump most of his Tesla shares. There’s genuine brilliant employees in his companies who get zero credit because Elon takes every speck of limelight he can. Disgusting individual.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah guess so. But if they aim to grow (not sure it's a aim) it will hinder it. 

Isn't the thing with Mastodon that it's divided into sub categories? Be interesting to see how they solve financing if it does blow up. Somehow they will need to pay for the server halls and such.

My understanding is: It's a decentralized service that allows people to either sign up to a server hosted by someone (I used https://techhub.social) or you can host one yourself. The official https://mastodon.social does not accept any more users. The idea is that you sign up to the server that match your interest and you can then interact with users and follow on other servers.

It's a bit of a faff and I can only suspect that a future magainbreds.social server will be a echo-chamber for the ages.

Not sure how moderation is handeled but I suspect that will be up to the owner of the server in question

• Like 2

Mastodon is a 'federated social network'. That essentially means its like Twitter but if Twitter was divided up into separate spaces that have different rules but can interact. Its like Twitter having 'clubs' within it where each club has it's own policies.

• Like 3

Mastodon isn't complicated at all. You can join a server that nominally is for people with like-minded interests, and there is a feature to just see toots from that server only, but really you don't need to use that feature. The main feed shows all toots from all servers (unless they've been explicitly banned by your server's admin for some reason, for instance if they're distributing spam or illegal content).

It basically works the exact same way as twitter - you join up and you see a timeline of your followers and anything boosted (retweeted) by them regardless of what server their accounts are hosted on.

It honestly doesn't matter what server you join. You can just be safe and join mastodon.social which is the "main" original one.

I've found it to be just as good as twitter, if not better in many ways. There are plenty of people on there now. The only thing missing imo is the "big" corporate accounts, like the BBC or the Guardian or whatever. So it isn't so useful as a news feed yet as Twitter is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It certainly would be interesting to know what causes the greatest dopamine high, while 'enjoying' a typical interaction on social-media.

Comparing the response to a 'like', 'dislike', 'derision' , or seeing a rival humiliated and joining in a pile-on, would be fascinating and might offer some guidance to what sort of manipulation should be allowed.

I am sure Stanley Milgram would have created some very interesting experiments to reveal something about humans on-line.

• Like 2

Why's he trying to run Twitter via polls of his followers? 

It's a sham. Would be like Trump trying to run America by making MAGA a club and running polls of MAGA members. 

Â