Musk's Twitter Purchase

KentVillan

8 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Crazy thought - Maybe, just maybe one of the most successful billionaires and serial entrepreneurs in the world knows what he is doing.

Maybe Steve Jobs knew what he was doing when he decided that fruit smoothies were the answer to his terminal cancer, rather than, I don't know, medicine.

Being rich and being successful in one area of your life doesn't mean you can't be a complete **** idiot in other areas. 

• Like 3

Just now, Davkaus said:

Maybe Steve Jobs knew what he was doing when he decided that fruit smoothies were the answer to his terminal cancer, rather than, I don't know, medicine.

Being rich and being successful in one area of your life doesn't mean you can't be a complete **** idiot in other areas. 

He brought to light that a successful businessman might know how to improve the running of a business that was previously poorly ran, not sure what terminal illnesses and smoothies have to do with it. 

• Thanks 1

And, as ever, with Musk it's worth remembering his wealth comes from starting off in a very rich family and having a few early successes which mostly seem to have come from being in the right place at the right time, and having shares in an hilariously overvalued business.

He's a fairly smart man, but his moves with Twitter are stupid.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Crazy thought - Maybe, just maybe one of the most successful billionaires and serial entrepreneurs in the world knows what he is doing.

I don't think anyone has any doubts that he knows what he's doing

12 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

He brought to light that a successful businessman might know how to improve the running of a business that was previously poorly ran, not sure what terminal illnesses and smoothies have to do with it. 

If we're going to assume that someone who has been successful with one business knows what he's doing in all other business ventures, we may as well wrap up the thread.

It's a daft perspective when we can see the carnage with our own eyes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

If we're going to assume that someone who has been successful with one business knows what he's doing in all other business ventures, we may as well wrap up the thread.

It's a daft perspective when we can see the carnage with our own eyes.

So what on earth were going on about smoothies not curing cancer for then? Pretty stupid argument if you ask me. 

It’s hard to paint a picture that Musk did a good deal buying Twitter for $44b and has done a good job as boss since his arrival.

He can only point to an uptick in users because people are looking on at the flaming car crash he created. I doubt it is converting into more revenue.

He randomly fired people, brought some back. Locked the office doors, and locked himself out. Rehired the man with the keys so they could get in. Any staff who remain will be working very hard to get new jobs. 

It’s losing over $4m a day and probably going to get worse as advertisers leave them. More hate. More bots. More bugs.

Theres no way this is some genius at work. 

2 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

So what on earth were going on about smoothies not curing cancer for then? Pretty stupid argument if you ask me. 

Its an example of a very successful businessman also being extremely stupid in another scenario. Just because you've been successful you are still fallable, it's possible for a successful tech CEO to rock up somewhere and 'do it wrong'.

1 minute ago, TreeVillan said:

There's no need to be so arsey, mate. Woke up on the wrong side of the bed? I thought it was pretty clear, but I'll spell it out even more plainly.

Being a businessman does not mean you're experienced or knowledgeable about all business domains in the world, nor does success with one business mean that your approach works with different businesses with entirely different cultures . Successful people typically have a very narrow area of expertise, and someone who is intelligent and successful in one venture is not infallible from making incredibly poor decision in other circumstances. As we see before us right now.

@pas5898's post was essentially "well he's rich and successful, so maybe he knows what he's doing", but it's not as simple as that.

• Like 1

He’ll get away with a lot because of his money. The costs associated with firing, rehiring, firing again will be small to him. If he has a problem he’ll buy his way out of it by offering some facebook, apple or google engineers silly money to move across. It’s unsustainable in the long term, however, it doesn’t look like he has a long term plan.

Edited by Genie

39 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Crazy thought - maybe politicians with a great education, good background in public interests and ability to raise funds for causes they care about know what they are doing.

Oh no, they mostly don't.

Remember when you were a kid and thought adults know what they are doing? Well, the world turns out to be full of idiots. 

I am not saying Musk is an idiot - I am saying he doesn't necessarily have to be a good owner of twitter based on his background and previous business history alone. 

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

If he has a problem he’ll buy his way out of it by offering some facebook, apple or google engineers silly money to move across.

Yep, they just be queueing up for those jobs where the employer is just as likely to fire you on a whim the next day then not pay the severance pay you are legally entitled to.

I reckon most would stay put tbh

• Like 1

I mean, how many successful businessmen have invested heavily in their passion...lets swap out Twitter for say a Football Club! And found themselves totally lost and lost a shedload of money.

Being successful in one area means nothing about being successful in another.

Of course the REALLY smart people know this and surround themselves with experts and listen to that expert opinion carefully.

If Musk makes a huge success of Twitter because of some brilliant strategy that literally no one can see because he's such a genius operating on a different plane to mere mortals, I'll eat my hat.

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Yep, they just be queueing up for those jobs where the employer is just as likely to fire you on a whim the next day then not pay the severance pay you are legally entitled to.

I reckon most would stay put tbh

Yes.  I think in my own field.  I know of certain individuals who have risen quickly and far by being highly aggressive and authoritarian.   But I also know people won't work for them because their reputation goes before them.  Good people there leave and good people elsewhere won't stand their shit.  So they end up with poor people working for them who are mainly just pleased to have a job.

They also tend to get found out by superiors / shareholders and fall just as quickly as they rise.  I have watched my former boss who was an abhorrent individual rise to the very very top and now after crashing back to Brum in the lowest job you could seriously expect.   I know he tried to buy his way onto one local firm on the way down and the directors wouldn't even speak to him.  My bet is he went door to door in a downwards spiral till the smallest most desperate firm opened up to him - He would have had at least 2 enormous severance packages in his fall.

His character got him into so much trouble he's had to leave the industry altogether now.

1 hour ago, pas5898 said:

Remember when Randy Lerner, a successful billionaire and sports team owner, bought Aston Villa?

Â