Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Just watched his press conference, such a breath of fresh air listening to Professor Emery.

His talk of improvement, tactical awareness, pressure, controlling the game and being critical of himself is so refreshing. Seems humble to talk of himself in that way yet he is an elite manager.

Also talked a few times of respecting the fans and utilising the energy of the fans.

We are so lucky to have Unai Emery as Villa manager.

UTV.

Spot on, Emery is the manager we have been waiting years for. I was happy to give him a free hit this season but he’s already shown his worth. I’ve said it many times but we needed a manager who was obsessed with the game, we finally have one. 

• Like 2

He's right. 5 points is nothing over 13 games. 

He's also right it needs us to get A LOT of points.  The teams above us will be getting pts over 1.6 points per game, so to get past them we need to maintain the 1.8 ppg he's getting at the mo. No reason he can't do it. He's done it playing most of the better teams in the league so far.

Going to be interesting to see how it goes, especially missing kamara for at least the next 2.

47 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Love the mentality

Tbf it felt like he was more playing it down when asked about it (a few times) in the press conference. Was more emphasising how difficult it would be and it's not the target now, but with a good consistent run of results then maybe that changes.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Just watched his press conference, such a breath of fresh air listening to Professor Emery.

His talk of improvement, tactical awareness, pressure, controlling the game and being critical of himself is so refreshing. Seems humble to talk of himself in that way yet he is an elite manager.

Also talked a few times of respecting the fans and utilising the energy of the fans.

We are so lucky to have Unai Emery as Villa manager.

UTV.

Loved Deano but his time had come to an end. I feel like this is the next chapter, we have never had anyone like Unai before. Absolutely love the guy and his passion for the club. He knows what hes doing.

7 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

The Guardian analyze De Zerbi’s style. Reminds me of something…

”Like most top teams, Brighton play out from their goalkeeper, Robert Sánchez. But unlike them, Brighton will often continue patiently recycling the ball in their own danger zone, often for up to 10 or 15 passes.

It is why De Zerbi’s teams frequently enjoy possession. But it is also the very thing modern football convention warns you not to do. It makes crowds nervous. Give the ball away and you’re dead. In his Coverciano thesis, De Zerbi argues that central defenders must “have the pleasure of holding the ball, of building the game, knowing that everything starts from them”.

The idea of this possession tightrope is to provoke opponents into overstretching, committing one too many to the press, at which point Brighton neatly play their way out”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/mar/10/roberto-de-zerbi-football-tactics-possession-brighton

Brighton were already a talented passing team when he took over so it was quick for him to apply his system to them. We aim to do the exact same as De Zerbi (I think Unai was one of the pioneers of this at Villareal). The idea is totally different from the top teams who pass as they aim to progress to progress the ball upfield to then patiently pass in around the opponents final third to create chances. What Emery / De Zerbi want is to entice the opposition and trigger their press only then is there space through the press to attack and pass quickly or go over the top direct to a forward. 

It means the team can almost counter attack from our own build up possession. The future masterclass session on how Emery and Villareal beat Bayern will show this approach in full effect. 

• Like 2

I thought he set us up well again and his in game decisions were proactive.

Won't always get the result but so clear what he's trying to do. Any other recent manager we'd be back to the walls losing today in the last 10 mins.

• Like 1

We are 5th in the table since Emery took over and the teams above have played 14 games(Arsenal 15). 23pts from 13 extrapolated over 38 game season is 64pts. We've lost 4 including Liverpool and top 2 teams in the league and were lucky not to get something out of 2 of the games. Emery will want to make signings to suit his system in the summer. If people aren't happy with where we're at they are perennially negative fans. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WHY said:

Emery came in and had the balls to try and implement his style on to a team that had little confidence and looking in real danger of getting relegated. He’s done it with practically the same squad the previous manager and his coaches couldn’t  get a tune out of. Not only has he done it but he’s done it mid season in the hardest league in the world.

He’s transformed a striker who couldn’t hit a barn door and had zero confidence. He’s kept SJM as captain and he again looks like the player we all loved.

We have been competitive in every game we’ve played with the possible exception of City away. Yes we’ve been beat by Liverpool, Leicester and Arsenal but could have easily have taken something from those 3 games. 

I’ve supported our great club for over 40 years and this guy is the best manager we’ve had in that time bar none, this guy will win us a trophy and give us some pride back, if he hasn’t already! 

Exactly - personally I'm very happy with keeping us out of a relegation scrap AND implementing his style at the same time. Would've been very easy for him to just write the season off and focus on survival by any means necessary.

• Like 1

Â