Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

It makes sense I think.

The games where we dominate possession are against weaker and more defensive sides, and typically we lack a bit of cutting edge to break that down.

The games where we’re out possessed are against stronger sides, but also play to our attacking strengths on the counter, so tend to be more goals at both ends.

The thing with Emery is he doesn’t play a “park the bus” setup when he concedes possession. It’s conceding possession with a view to scoring goals - leaving players up, full backs overlapping on the counter, etc. That’s what makes it quite interesting.

The setup where we try to play on the front foot is more conventional, and less exciting tbh. That could change with a bit more quality in the front 6 but for now I don’t think we scare teams when we control possession.

I think he intends to play it more like Crystal Palace when we are at home. Lots of passing along the back to draw opponents in and keep opponents from parking the bus.

The problem is that we've also tended to concede first and quickly at home which is probably what drives Unai mad. Then you have no choice but to continually enter the final third against 11 men.

I think you'll see that pattern emerge a lot at home with a very ho-hum start (unless we're playing one of the top sides) to kill off any fireworks in the beginning and work our way into the match against more defensive sides.

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, but as it kinda relates to Emery's style I'll put it here.

There's a huge difference in total goals (for both sides) in the games where we out-possess our opponent versus being out-possessed. Games where we get out-possessed are absolutely bonkers games.

There's an average of 2 goals per game in the 12 games where we have had more possession.
Compare that with an average of 3.46 goals per game in the 13 games where we've been out-possessed.

I guess when you look at the calibre of opposition holding us to less possession, it shows we're far worse at capitalising on our possession against the lesser sides than the top sides are at capitalising against us. Ho hum, just thought the discrepancy was interesting.

65% 0-2 L @ Bou
63% 1-0 W @ Sou
63% 2-4 L v Lei
60% 1-1 D @ Not
58% 1-0 W v Cry
57% 0-1 L v Wes
57% 2-1 W v Eve
56% 0-0 D @ Lee
55% 1-1 D v Wol
53% 2-0 W @ Eve
53% 2-1 W v Lee
52% 1-0 W v Sou

49% 1-3 L @ Cry
48% 1-3 L v Liv
45% 4-0 W v Bre
41% 3-1 W v MUn
41% 1-2 L @ Ars
41% 0-2 L v Che
40% 2-0 W @ Tot
40% 0-4 L @ New
39% 0-3 L @ Ful
34% 2-1 W @ Bri
33% 2-4 L v Ars
32% 1-3 L @ MCi
27% 1-1 D v MCi

Does this look the same with just Emery's games?

Edit: Actually I've done it myself

image.png.81bad369f7c96721f702d1c4857310c4.png

Edited by tomsky_11
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

Does this look the same with just Emery's games?

Edit: Actually I've done it myself

image.png.81bad369f7c96721f702d1c4857310c4.png

Yeah the pattern is the same basically. 2.5 versus 3.83. I'll take the 2.17ppg all day though :)

47 minutes ago, BOF said:

Yeah the pattern is the same basically. 2.5 versus 3.83. I'll take the 2.17ppg all day though :)

Given the distribution of goals and the points return under Emery compared to Gerrard, I'm not sure the view that big teams capitalise on their possession over us more than we do in possession against teams below us holds up.

image.png.1d390b2f454f80fcd6182eca00a5d659.png

We are doing better in terms of % of available points won and proportion of goals scored when we have more of the ball, compared with our opponents when they do.

Had a dream (nightmare) last night. It was all over Twitter and VT that Emery would be leaving Villa 'in a number of hours' due to a fallout with people at the club.

Thank God I wake up to see it's not true 🤣

4 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Had a dream (nightmare) last night. It was all over Twitter and VT that Emery would be leaving Villa 'in a number of hours' due to a fallout with people at the club.

Thank you for proving Freud right...the Villa supporter mentality is reflected in our dreams...we have only nightmares...🙂

• Like 1

It’s starting to cut through to neutrals - I was listening to the Football Ramble today and they were saying how amazing our results have been since he came in, and Football365 had him in the top 5 or 6 best performers of the 30+ managers who have had a PL job this season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

It’s starting to cut through to neutrals - I was listening to the Football Ramble today and they were saying how amazing our results have been since he came in, and Football365 had him in the top 5 or 6 best performers of the 30+ managers who have had a PL job this season. 

The reason it may go under the radar... is because whenever we are the " featured " TV game we tend to be shite 

So our good performances and results go unnoticed.

Plus our place in the table slightly shows a false narrative of his tenure.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tom13 said:

you need to stop sleeping.

• Haha 1

On 07/03/2023 at 20:49, joshharris12 said:

We are so lucky to have this guy as our manager. I don’t get to high when we win or complain when we loose I see what he’s trying to build here 

Yes.......but he will make mistakes, he is human.

We have to accept that..... when his overall job, is brilliant.

Folk could say, Thomas Franks made mistakes, playing us....but his overall work is brilliant too.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

He could be a Manager of the Year contender, I still believe the muppet would have got us relegated and now in about 12 games we have a big cushion over relegation and just a few points behind the medias golden team Newcastle

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Zatman said:

He could be a Manager of the Year contender, I still believe the muppet would have got us relegated and now in about 12 games we have a big cushion over relegation and just a few points behind the medias golden team Newcastle

I like Emery, but he is nowhere near manager of the year this season. 

Â