Unai Emery

PeterSw

On 14/03/2023 at 09:59, Stevo71 said:

Sure we'd all love to see that piece of paper Nassef gave to Unai when he asked him to write down a team at the "interview". Fair to assume a) he didn't just write down a team from our current squad and b) Nassef didn't flinch at what that new team might cost. At the very least Unai was content that something like his imagined team might be achievable over the course of a few windows. And by extension would have had a few players already earmarked for upgrade. Maybe a few things changed once he finally got amongst the lads, but I have no doubt whatsoever the overall strategy will be crystal in Unai's mind.

So exciting. Villa and Unai are perfect for one another. UTV.

It's easy to share your joy.....but we have to wait and see who comes in.

We have had our fair share of false dawns, over recent seasons, with only a sprinkling of players who have been "Hits"......that's in reference to management before UE.

I simply don't know, who has had the major say, on who has been coming in, so its hard to be too judgmental, either way.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Yes, he commented recently and said he didn't want to create false hope. If he felt someone was ready, they would be there. 

Thanks. I only saw the comments about the extra GK. I still think it would be more beneficial to have a youth player there. Surely Kesler-Hayden could be a useful addition?

19 minutes ago, StuL said:

Has Emery mentioned anywhere why he continually has an empty seat on the bench rather than having a young player there?

16 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Yes, he commented recently and said he didn't want to create false hope. If he felt someone was ready, they would be there. 

seems he thinks Kaden Young isnt ready then?

2 hours ago, StuL said:

Has Emery mentioned anywhere why he continually has an empty seat on the bench rather than having a young player there?

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He prefers the extra leg room

We should do like F1.....

ie: a pay player, we have 9 spots on the bench, so what we do is, we allocate one squad place (and a guaranteed sub slot) to any person who is the highest bidder, they can get to train with the Villa first team, and have one spot on the bench for match days.

The plan, we get some mad lad who's father is a billionaire, and offers 100m+ a year to have their special petal son on the bench for Villa.

That 100m+ goes to our balance sheet, commercial gap bridged............profit?!!?

:P

Edited by MaVilla
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, StuL said:

I could be wrong, but he has hinted that he doesn't want to give anyone false hopes, and cause frustration...if he has no intention of playing them.

Personally, I am not going to tell him how to do it.....He seems well equipped, without my help.

It may well change, when we get to 40 points.

4 hours ago, MaVilla said:

ie: a pay player, we have 9 spots on the bench, so what we do is, we allocate one squad place (and a guaranteed sub slot) to any person who is the highest bidder, they can get to train with the Villa first team, and have one spot on the bench for match days.

The plan, we get some mad lad who's father is a billionaire, and offers 100m+ a year to have their special petal son on the bench for Villa.

That 100m+ goes to our balance sheet, commercial gap bridged............profit?!!?

you've been watching too many films.🤣

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Perugia did that with Gadaffi's son back in the day, made a couple of serie a appearances and all.

Edited by Kuwabatake Sanjuro
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

He’s missed man citeh out there. 

Our possession play is improving all the time, the players already seem more comfortable with it. Imagine how good we’ll look when we upgrade two or three of this team to real quality. The kind of quality that turns possession into goals is what we need. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The graph didn't show the Gerrard era. I don't recall us ever having more possession than anyone during his tenure.

Emery, what a man. 

What's funny is that I was just thinking that, Gerrard tried to speak the game whilst Emery has the knowledge and nous to apply it.

Some of SG's talk of what he claimed to want are actually similar to what Emery actually does.

Emery has also had the gravitas to stick with it, and the expertise to refine it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TRO said:

I could be wrong, but he has hinted that he doesn't want to give anyone false hopes, and cause frustration...if he has no intention of playing them.

Personally, I am not going to tell him how to do it.....He seems well equipped, without my help.

It may well change, when we get to 40 points.

Its no born winner Stevie G at least

13 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Not defending Gerrard, as i think Emery's system is vastly better in every way, but the possession stats dont tell the story really, Gerrard's possession in the 22/23 season was as follows:

image.png.233296ea3ad6ff0f107ccd327b690919.png

Emery's average Possession, as per your list, is 50.3%.

Gerrard had better possession in 6/11 games, or 54.5% of games.

Emery had more possession in 7/12 games, or 58.3% of games.

So from Gerrards 11 games in 22/23, and Emery's 12 games in 22/23, the possession stats are basically exactly the same (50% vs 50.3%).

Anyway, doesnt take away from the point that i prefer Emery 100%, my point was more that these kind of stats put out there dont always reflect what they purport to reflect, although i do agree Emery's possession is more effective, intelligent, easier on the eye etc etc, but he isnt really having "more" of it, Emery is just doing better with what possession he does have, than Gerrard did.

I hope you get what i mean.

You can have possession for 90% of the game if you keep the ball in your owne half.What is important is,NOT how much possession you have,but what you do with the possession that you have.

6 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

You can have possession for 90% of the game if you keep the ball in your owne half.What is important is,NOT how much possession you have,but what you do with the possession that you have.

thats pretty much exactly what i said?

1️⃣3️⃣ / 1️⃣3️⃣   

✅

I just read on the impartial BBC that since Unai became our manager we've scored in every single league game, all 13 of them! I like that! Blimey. How un-Villa-like. And even better, in fact...

• "They are the only team to have scored in all of their Premier League games since Emery took charge."
Edited by robby b
  • Like 2
  • Shocked 1

Â