Unai Emery

PeterSw

Just watched the presser, I really like him, honest, truthful, measured. Think he wants to crack on now and really get stuck in to the football.

As for the Emi baiting, I think he played it well. Basically insinuating it was a bit cringe at times and will be rained in here. I think he recognises his passion though and his in game shithousery for what it is, a thirst and will to win and won’t curb it too much. Perhaps he’ll fine him for excessive thrusting!

I might regret saying this but Im looking forward to Monday (and not just for the Xmas lunch leftovers). Bring the scousers on. 

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Good press conference, he's articulate yet he says what he thinks. He answered questions regarding Emi's celebration antics and Xmas day training carefully but with a straight bat.

What ever becomes of his tenure, I find it hard to comprehend how I could ever feel about Unai, the way I felt about the previous regime and it's end.

He’s been stitched up by the journos I think, trying to make out that he’ll give Emi a dressing down.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its pretty much the headline on the BBC and is no mention of it

Yeah the headline makes out he’s said he’s going to bring it up and then includes loads of criticism from other quarters, but it’s clear Unai just said “I’ll speak to him when he’s back” in the sense of… I’m not going to bother him while he’s celebrating.

Crass journalism, but imagine Unai being a Spanish speaker he’ll have no problems explaining himself to Emi and it won’t be a problem. Just classic mischief making from sports journos.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

It was one of those occasions where the journos have written their headlines before the question is even asked. 

Journo: Emi has been really naughty are you going to tell him off?

Unai: He’s been amazing we’re so proud, we’ll chat about controlling emotions when he is with us but his performances were excellent.

Headlines: Unai to tell Emi off 

Not exact quotes but you get the drift

This

On 23/12/2022 at 11:12, mjmooney said:

Thanks, interesting. But didn't you find that, in practice, the centre half played deeper than the two half backs, and the inside forwards deeper than the wingers? 

Screenshot_2022-12-23-12-09-21-38_6f8f7a6a69f2aa2976412416ecb84f7a.jpg

I think Unai will transform us, but to answer your point.

My understanding was the Inside Forwards and half backs formulated roughly todays midfield....

With one half back becoming the ball playing centre back and the other the defensive midfielder..... inside forwards was the attacking Midfielders and creators or the other a support striker, to play off the No 9.

The traditional centre forward has morphed in recent times, in to a kind of hybrid midfielder, but I think a renaissance is under way, and they will make a return, gradually.

it is very much like a manipulated 3-4-3

I see the game  like a games of 2's.....with little partnerships all over the field inter acting with the main group....those little one, two's being the essence of the play, and passing and moving being the basic building blocks of the philosophy.

Football is like a Kaleidoscope, you see what you want to see.....but I also think, players have to win their duels, they have to impose themselves on their opposite number, to gain control, and lose them to gain advantage.

I think our shape will change, when Unai gets to grips with things and he gets a few of  his own players in.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

I am expecting a much better, co-ordinated and orgaised team under UE

and I am expecting a much more intense, approach from our players, but I am equally unsure, if some of them will be long term.

I love being positive, and its great to wax lyrical, about our teams players abilities.....but we seem very slow or reluctant to mention the shortfalls.

Managers can only do so much, Players have to respond an up their game, some things currently, I think is beyond us.

We are where we are for a reason, and its not just all manager related.....our next signing will be crucially important to get right( I guess we always say that) but its what I feel.

a signing like a modern day Andy Gray, Peter Withe, John Carew, Cristian Benteke, Dion Dublin......will transform us IMO.....and it will also raise the profile of our other players too.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

My understanding was the Inside Forwards and half backs formulated roughly todays midfield....

With one half back becoming the ball playing centre back and the other the defensive midfielder..... inside forwards was the attacking Midfielders and creators or the other a support striker, to play off the No 9.

it is very much like a manipulated 3-4-3

Thanks. That's exactly what I was getting at. 

• Like 1

I’ve been a Villa fan ( and VT member ) long enough to know that the mood music can change from euphoric to despair in 45 minutes, never mind 90 minutes. I’ve seen enough from this guy in 3 games to realise he knows what he’s doing. I’m also grown up enough to know that miracles don’t happen in 5-6 weeks. I think he’ll of found out more about this group in the Dubai trip and the subsequent friendlies, than the 3 games so far. Their temperament, focus, ability to absorb, retain and put into practice - information ( huge for him i think ) technical ability. Appetite to work. I’m excited to see how it unfolds. Acutely aware though that this is the start, and we are playing a top side today who we just might not be good enough to beat. That can happen. Just ask for perspective though. He’s barely put his finger on the pulse with us so far - project wise. 

Edited by Johnnyp
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

‘’Play as one’’. I love that. The fans are finally all United again.  Let’s have a 12th man today. 

Sadly we are playing Liverpool who will have more than 12 men if include VAR

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

Roughly 16 + especially if you include the two on the sidelines with new flags for Christmas.  

Yep and there will be some Liverpool fans in areas they shouldnt be in the ground.  One of ours is sick with the flu at the moment and cant go today, so I was going to resell the season ticket for that game through the official ticketing but I figured a Liverpool fan would somehow get the ticket and I couldnt stand one of them sitting next to me today.  I couldnt go to the Chelsea game recently and the guy next to me said a youngish girl got my resell ticket and she was a Chelsea fan, with her Chelsea shirt on under her jumper.....in the friggin Holte End 🤬.  Bad enough having the officials on their side but having one of their fans next to me would be too much for me today!  I'm praying Emery gives us a great christmas present and stuffs these red scouse today and I would love it more if it was because of a bad VAR or ref decision.

Edited by nick76

Â