Unai Emery

PeterSw

5 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

4-4-2 is the most used formation in La Liga . Argentina played a 4-4-2 last night with a midfield 4 rather than wingers… just like we do, guess it didn’t die with the dinosaur after all.

Formations don't die, they get tweaked, and fashions change.....The best managers usually set the tone, and the others follow.

Its folly for folk to think formations do die.

Fans with a shorter time watching football, are the more likely to succumb to this notion, but when you go back, way before my time.....systems were being experimented with then.....The Vic Buckinghams, Rinus Michels, and our own Jimmy Hogan( Total Football) were the early Pioneers, Then the Johan Cryuffs, Bobby Robsons, and Ron Greenwoods influenced the Guardiola's, Morinho's etc.......Managers learn from those before them, just like night follows day.

Very little is new in the fundamentals of football, sure its more tactical, now and possibly more changes.....but much is also the same.

Its a mature sport, and Managers have been trying to steal a march on opponents since the game was created.....personnel usually influence a managers thinking, along with past successes.

I think many of us, get a bit hung up, on how much the game has changed.....In some aspects, yes......In other aspects No.

However, I do think, we now have a manager in UE, who is well versed in whats new and what went before him.....I understand too UE goes to 4-4-2 when we are out of possession

But I will finally say this, even the best managers in the world, have challenges at times, they find difficult to solve.....We have the hallmarks of a top manager, but he is not a miracle worker...He needs time, like the rest.

• Like 1

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/12/2022 at 02:12, Anything11 said:

We will be playing out from the back a majority of the time. Emery likes to create the triangle between CB-FB-CM to play around/through opposition press. Villareal Vs Bayern was a great example of this.

That's fine..But one of our central defenders is Konsa. He cannot pass the ball 🤣

Very off topic but that Madrid team back in early 00's 4 2 3 1 with Ronaldo up top and Figo Zidane and Raul behind. Makelele and Guti as the 2. 

Was some team that. I remember at the time thinking that formation was the future surely 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Little worrying how littlegoals we hace scored during the friendlies.

We desperately need some fire power in come jan. Im ok with cashing in on either ings ir watkins

Yeah tbh I'm a little worried now after the friendlies too. No goals in last two and was an OG wasn't it to beat Chelsea kids?

Friendlies don't mean anything in terms of results, or goals scored and conceded, they're merely training games to give the players some match fitness, the amount of changes made throughout the games and game time given to academy players skews things. Dat said, we obviously need to strengthen our attack, but we knew that before the friendlies, and would have been the case even if we had have been thrilling goal scoring form in those friendlies.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Little worrying how littlegoals we hace scored during the friendlies.

We desperately need some fire power in come jan. Im ok with cashing in on either ings ir watkins

I am not, we had a good record in pre season even though played bad and were absolutely atrocious when the season started

We scored 3 goals in 4 games or 4 in 5 if include the Cardiff memorial game

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

I am not, we had a good record in pre season even though played bad and were absolutely atrocious when the season started

We scored 3 goals in 4 games or 4 in 5 if include the Cardiff memorial game

Yeah that is a valid point. None of us know how the next few games are goung to turn out. Teams like spurs and Liverpool have had a lot of players at wc they could be very tired or veey fresh 

The one thing we can't underestimate and probably don't want to go through, is the amount of change that will occur if Unai succeeds enough to stay long enough.

I love this club, but on the pitch we have had a soft underbelly for as long as I can remember. UE will slow pull us apart and put us back together.

There will be moments of pain, that Arsenal weren't prepared to go through, that we must endure to change our general direction.

• Like 1

Bit disappointed in the friendly results to be honest - concerned about attitude and desire to win again. The only game I have seen is the chelsea one, and to win 1-0 against their reserves whilst we had a decent team out was, again, disappointing. I haven’t seen anything from the Villarreal, Brighton or Everton games. I guess we will have to wait and see how we get on in the league, but it is a tad concerning in my view!

38 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Maybe they should keep these behind closed door friendly’s private.  It’s just training really.  Some fans unnecessarily get worried.

Thats on the fans in fairness not the club

Match report I read Pickford won man of the match and made a number of good saves

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

Bit disappointed in the friendly results to be honest - concerned about attitude and desire to win again. The only game I have seen is the chelsea one, and to win 1-0 against their reserves whilst we had a decent team out was, again, disappointing. I haven’t seen anything from the Villarreal, Brighton or Everton games. I guess we will have to wait and see how we get on in the league, but it is a tad concerning in my view!

I thought our best performance was against Villarreal.  There is a structure and a sense that we know how we are trying to score, even though sometimes the luck runs against us.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I had a dream that we lost 4 in a row including a defeat to the worst team in the league at home 2-0. We had 3 goals disallowed by VAR. Nobody had turned on Emery yet but everyone was turning on Mings. 

Fixed for you😛

• Haha 2

Â