2. 2. Manager's Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/10/22 at 22:59

6 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I admire your post a lot. But I would just quibble with this, because don't you think super narrow sometimes has its uses temporarily in a dynamic squad with creative, skilled midfielders who can penetrate up the center?

No if anything if you have super dynamic players through the middle you want to give them as much as space as possible as such you need to properly utilise the width of the pitch by being out by the bylines. Also note playing super narrow leaves you very vulnerable to counter attacks outwide by wingers and full backs.

If you want to play through the middle you need width and if you want to play down the wings you need width. Either way you need width to attack effectively. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm just back after being largely out of contact all day, plus or minus. Holy hell what a result. I never saw that coming in a million years, yet in another way it was as obvious as a skunk in a snowdrift. 

You know earlier when I said it might take weeks to coach the players into a workable system. Took Danks 2 or 3 days. Incredible. 

6 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I think this is only true if you contradobulate the spangleratchet handler first.

Yeah it's really hard to explain basketball concepts without the recipients having some knowledge of basketball. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Gonna watch and enjoy every second of this MoTD chat.

Shearer tried to put all the blame on the players, but at least it was mention that there were a formation change and that McGinn was dropped.

6 hours ago, nick76 said:

Yep such a difference in the way we played, from the press and playing in triangles which we didn’t do under Gerrard.  We played with more width and freedom as well.  

This just showed Gerrard up.  

It was only one game but these players can play well, Gerrard just got it all wrong.  

If we get the right manager this team/squad can be so much better because they have showed it.  

Yes we have problems with the squad but they are so much better than what Gerrard game us.

Gerrard’s media buddies will try to say this is because of Gerrard and shows he should’ve had more time but this showed what we can do when not shackled by Gerrard.  This was an embarrassment for Gerrard imo.  Thank god he’s gone.

Get the right manager and we hopefully can see more of today more often.

Not just that we did this weird thing of passing to players in the same colour jersey. First goal I dont think Brentford didnt even touch the ball except the deflection for a corner. We started and played pass and move it was bizarre and our players looked comfortable

• Like 1

Seems a few in the media are very mad at us for being so good just days after sacking Gerrard 

We're a " disgrace " 😂.

This is some of the most bizarre logic I've ever seen.

The Manager gets sacked, we go on to be great without him, but it's the players faults for not being brilliant for him apparently. Wtf??????

So us being good so quickly after he's left is " disrespectful " 😳

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Seems a few in the media are very mad at us for being so good just days after sacking Gerrard 

We're a " disgrace " 😂.

This is some of the most bizarre logic I've ever seen.

The Manager gets sacked, we go on to be great without him, but it's the players faults for not being brilliant for him apparently. Wtf??????

It just goes to show how few actually pay even the most basic attention to games. They just assume it was the same system, same group of players and that the only difference was the level of performance and PASHUN, ignoring the fact that we had a totally different system and a significantly different team out there.

• Like 2

Incredible how the footballing IQ of all the players skyrocketed unburdened by having to do stupid things.  Players with a lot to prove proved it very handily.  A mighty fine day indeed!

TODAY'S PLAYER RATINGS (season average in here)

MARTINEZ 7 (6.33) Largely untroubled, but nonetheless solid.  The penalty area, after a shaky couple of weeks, very much belonged to him.  His turf.  Arms once more seemed enormous.

MINGS 8 (6.7) After a pretty calamitous two-game streak looked fate in the eye and said "I'm having some of that".  A contagiously sweeping performance.

KONSA 7 (5.75) Slowly but surely we seem to be getting our boy back.  Intelligent but vital low-key interventions aplenty: the Konsa we know.

CASH 7 (6) Cash will run through walls for you.  Under Gerrard the walls seemed to win more often than not.  You can't run forever with nowhere to go and not get a little lost.  He's not quite there yet, but seemed to relish his enterprise having a purpose.

YOUNG 8 (6.86) He's roughly my age but something tells me he'd lap me twice in an 800 metres race.  Indefatigable, authorial, inspirational.  What struck me today, apart from his absurd energy, was his sense of timing.  Knows when to get stuck in, when to cool things down and when to keep it straightforward.

DENDONCKER 7 (5.5) With a strange gait and an almost wobbly running style it sometimes seems like Leo is playing half-cut.  I've struggled to warm to him so far, likely unfairly, but was essential to the organisation and bite of today's midfield.

LUIZ 8 (6.3) Absolutely committed, a bit box-to-boxy, alternatively silky and fierce.  If today had the feeling of the band getting back together and realising how good they can play, Luiz was practically the entire rhythm section.

BUENDIA 8 (5.64) Says so much about Buendia that in spite of much of what he's known for not quite coming off, his tenacity and busyness made such frustrations largely irrelevant.  Everywhere today.  The rebirth begins here.

BAILEY 8 (5.27) Looked a different player out there.  From hapless and lost mere days ago, Bailey today looked potent, dangerous and, perhaps most assuring of all, composed.  More of that please.

WATKINS 7 (5.18) Still a little shaky and timid, but where Watkins might previously have let it get to him, today he persevered, tried, tried and tried again, and finally got that all important goal.  Which clearly meant the world to him.

INGS 8 (6) A wily old pro today.  Effortlessly deadly, with some classy link up play, Ings operated like someone who still thinks like an elite player even though his body isn't quite there anymore.  That operation paid dividends today.

MCGINN 6 (4.5) Not appalling!!

COUTINHO 5 (5.25) You can't have it all, can you?

All other subs N/A.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Dendoncker solid fitted well with Luiz. I might not have taken him off so quickly.

I wasn’t surprised I doubt he was match fit enough to play the full 90 minutes.

9 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Yeah it's really hard to explain basketball concepts without the recipients having some knowledge of basketball. 

It's funny, I've never paid any attention to basketball outside of school PE lessons and always assumed it was a super simple, basic game. But any time I catch any references to it on TV it always seems layered with levels of complex technical discussion that literally sound like the nonsense that I wrote above.

Football isn't like that, but it feels like it's heading that way. 

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Without our change of manager, I think we'd have started out slow, and sloppy, given them the odd chance, the crowd would have got frustrated, and we'd have lost.

Brentford were absolutely shellshocked by how we started and by the time they got a grip, it was game over.

Also the team selection would’ve been different as both McGinn and JJ would’ve started, so the change made a difference.

• Like 2

Â