Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

25 minutes ago, Tayls said:

But he is literally invested in the club, he won’t leave. He seemingly needs some proper guidance on hiring managers though. 

I think that's harsh on Purslow. Rumour is owners always wanted a name in charge to boost club's profile around the world so I think they were more than happy to let Purslow go with his Gerrard love in especially as it was a modest target at the time of just making sure we could move away from relegation zone.

Perhaps this is all part of the strategy, we just got Gerrard in to get in some big name players and now we'll move him on and get in a manager who can actually coach them properly on training pitch and this will be proven manager like Poch/Rodgers or even Potter who's proved himself as more advanced version of Smith at this level.

Intriguing times but what I don't want us to do is just let another season descend into mid table nothingness as last year did. When you sign a few players in their late 20s you just can't have that mindset so we need to be giving Gerrard 10 games (5-6 if we can't beat Everton) and quickly move him on as season is still young at that point and you also have six week break where a new manager could drill the non world cup players in how he wants them to play.

27 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Christ - should Liverpool sack klopp? We are 1 game in. It’s absurd to be talking manager change

I'm still 'Gerrard in' but it's more than one game. It's been 25 odd games and not much by way of style and performances. 

By the time the WC break comes (a sensible time to change) we'll be 17 games in and another season down the drain. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

I don’t see poch coming to villa - Rodgers  or potter may well make the move here but I think poch will wait for a bigger job with a top European  club 

I think he might. We have more money ambition etc than alotbof clubs in the league.  None of the top four managers are going anywhere.  (Possibly conte if he falls out with levy)

If he wants to come back to PL i think villa is a very attractive option

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Perhaps this is all part of the strategy, we just got Gerrard in to get in some big name players and now we'll move him on and get in a manager who can actually coach them properly on training pitch and this will be proven manager like Poch/Rodgers or even Potter

I have posted before that I think Gerrard was a calculated risk. Use him to attract players and if he becomes a top manager great, if not at least he will leave some really good players which along with our ambitious board might help attract the sort of proven manager that would have been unattainable after Smith. 

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

you also have six week break where a new manager could drill the non world cup players in how he wants them to play.

Well, plus the longer Gerrard is in charge the fewer players will be going to the World Cup. He’s already probably cost Mings and Watkins their place… maybe that’s the long game he’s playing ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

Dean Smith was the right man at the right time and he was instrumental in giving the fans something to cheer about after a really dark period in our history. Looking back,I would not have swapped Dean for anyone, as it was such a unique experience. 

I agree the Gerrard appointment was a big risk, but we didn't necessarily need a special manager. Rodgers, Moyes or Howe would have been good enough to get us into the European places. Then from there we could have gone for an elite manager to push us towards top 4. 

I can see that Gerrard isn't displaying the skills I would expect of a decent manager at the moment - certainly not one that is going to get us in the top 8. We can try and stick it out in the hope that he develops, but how long will that be?Long enough to lose all our best players? Relegation? I think it would be reckless to leave it a while before changing managers. It needs reviewing by the international break, to evaluate whether the board feel that he has shown enough over the best part of a year to warrant being kept on. My opinion is that he hasn't. 

Someone like Rodgers would be a good appointment for me, Leicester fans have been completely ungrateful for what he has achieved there, plus they're not backing him financially, if we couldn't get Pochettino then Rodgers would be a very smart and shrewd move. I think he'd have us top half at the minimum with this squad and maybe pushing top 7. 

Opinions on Smith are mixed I know that, at the time Rodgers was my preferred candidate but Smith was my 2nd choice, but my own personal view is he is overrated for his achievements here because he was a Villa fan. We can argue night and day about this but there is a reason he is now managing Norwich in the Championship. We played some good football under him at times and had some amazing results like the 7-2 against Liverpool, but ultimately he lost nearly half his games here and we were as much of a soft touch as we are under Gerrard. Averaging a point a game over the whole of 2021 wasn't good enough and then losing Grealish he looked lost. But that's the past.

I think if we're in a poor position by the time of the next international break in mid-September they have to let Gerrard go. We cannot let these poor results linger and have another dreadful season like the last one. I think he needs a minimum of 10-12 points from the 8 games up to Southampton at home and so far we have 0 from 1 so he needs 10-12 from the next 7 at least I'd say. We have to beating Everton and Southampton and one other team, maybe Palace, then drawing with someone like West Ham and maybe getting a point at Leicester to put us on 11 points. It's not inconceivable that will happen, but if we perform like we did yesterday then no chance. 

It's not even about the football and results going back to last season. Results aside we looked pretty crap in preseason as well, and didn't give me much confidence we'd have much of a cohesive style going into this season.

Pocchetino, Rogers or Potter for me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Someone like Rodgers would be a good appointment for me, Leicester fans have been completely ungrateful for what he has achieved there, plus they're not backing him financially, if we couldn't get Pochettino then Rodgers would be a very smart and shrewd move. I think he'd have us top half at the minimum with this squad and maybe pushing top 7. 

Opinions on Smith are mixed I know that, at the time Rodgers was my preferred candidate but Smith was my 2nd choice, but my own personal view is he is overrated for his achievements here because he was a Villa fan. We can argue night and day about this but there is a reason he is now managing Norwich in the Championship. We played some good football under him at times and had some amazing results like the 7-2 against Liverpool, but ultimately he lost nearly half his games here and we were as much of a soft touch as we are under Gerrard. Averaging a point a game over the whole of 2021 wasn't good enough and then losing Grealish he looked lost. But that's the past.

I think if we're in a poor position by the time of the next international break in mid-September they have to let Gerrard go. We cannot let these poor results linger and have another dreadful season like the last one. I think he needs a minimum of 10-12 points from the 8 games up to Southampton at home and so far we have 0 from 1 so he needs 10-12 from the next 7 at least I'd say. We have to beating Everton and Southampton and one other team, maybe Palace, then drawing with someone like West Ham and maybe getting a point at Leicester to put us on 11 points. It's not inconceivable that will happen, but if we perform like we did yesterday then no chance. 

Rodgers is the exact same template manager that has failed us long term so far. 

14 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Purslow picking the replacement is the scary part for me. It would most likely be another English manager, a well known ex-player and preferrably with some Liverpool connections.

Brendan it is then 

2 minutes ago, daft said:

Rodgers is the exact same template manager that has failed us long term so far. 

He's 500x the tactician Gerrard is. He's a coach as well. Don't really like him tbh, but he'd have a team this good playing football.

Watching some highlights of other teams yesterday. We absolutely played like the worst side in the league. Our middling 'rivals' Leeds, Newcastle, Wolves would have put 5 past us. God knows what the top teams would have done.

I've been fairly sure this isn't going to work because nothing has been shown, I didn't think we'd be quite that bad.

• Like 3

I've not been Gerrard's biggest fan but this thread is a bit much even after yesterday. We desperately need to see improvement but we're a couple of months away from needing this thread even if things go badly.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Podster said:

I can see how going from managing at Le Parc des Princes to manageing at Villa Park would be tempting.

His reputation has taken a hit since his final days at Spurs and his average showing at PSG.

People act as if we didn’t just sign top players from Champions League teams

Carlo Ancelotti went to Goodison Park ffs. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I haven't actually said sack him now. However if we don't win any of the next three we then have Arsenal and Man. City at start of September so you'd be looking at a very poor start to the season indeed (probably worse than 15/16).

Is it acceptable to sack manager at start of September after 5-6 games? We should've ditched Sherwood sooner, got in big Sam and then 15/16 may just have been salvageable with a good transfer window in January so that's one example of when we kept a manager on losing streak too long.

I would suspect if we fighting relegation after ten games gerrard will be gone. And he can have no complaints if that were to happen

• Like 1

For those arguing it's just one game - it really isn't. SG's record is quite poor since he came here despite having a solid squad and the club investing in some top talents. The tactics, lineups and play have all been very questionable. Despite the results, our play during the preseason was also quite poor. Think fans have a right to be genuinely worried. As some have mentioned, even the Villa content creators (i.e. vloggers, podcasters) - who generally are much more level headed than the anonymous keyboard warriors that frequent message boards, chatrooms and Twitter were fuming after yesterday's game and quite concerned about the future.

Edited by nepal_villan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1