Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

The idea of a manager going from taking their team to the CL semi final last season to joining us is....Not entirely plausible.

They aren't in it this year?  they finished 7th, and if old uni fancies another go at the Premier league , who else is taking him on? He can turn us into the Villarreal of the Premier league. He's overachieved and I think he was hard done by with Arsenal.

32 minutes ago, daft said:

In the sense that he offers very little in addition to what we've already tried and failed with.

What, a defined system and philosophy that has produced results at several clubs, a proven track record as manager and coach? When did we last have that? 

8 minutes ago, El Zen said:

What, a defined system and philosophy that has produced results at several clubs, a proven track record as manager and coach? When did we last have that? 

We’ve had managers come in with those exact things and still they **** up. Maybe get DS back instead?

I ,mean I want those things too, I really do. But I think we need to change more radically to break the cycle. I bet you Rodgers would be sacked without accomplishing must beyond a few winning streaks and possibly a decent league position or two before running into the regular brick wall we always do.

We need something new.

Edited by daft

23 hours ago, M_Afro said:

My post is not hysterical in the slightest and I will never be a happy clapper. I do however recognise that we had two players making their PL debuts today, it’s only the first game of the season and we are not yet at the close of the transfer window. It’s not time to lose our composure after an admittedly poor afternoon. If things are no better in 15 games time then let’s start the conversation.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

How many did Bournemouth have?

That’s gotta be the biggest clutch and the smallest straw I ever witnessed!

2 players making their premier league debuts 😂😂😂

One of them happened to be our best player by the way.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, daft said:

We’ve had managers come in with those exact things and still they **** up. Maybe get DS back instead?

I ,mean I want those things too, I really do. But I think we need to change more radically to break the cycle. I bet you Rodgers would be sacked without accomplishing must beyond a few winning streaks and possibly a decent league position or two before running into the regular brick wall we always do.

We need something new.

Who, exactly? 

And, to be honest, a few winning streaks and two years of decent league positions sounds f***ing brilliant. 

A manager that can outperform the team would be great, last person to do that was Houllier and ONeil about 12-13 years ago. Ever since then we’ve either been worse or about the level the squad is at in the table.

There has to be someone out there that can get something more out of this bunch.

1 minute ago, El Zen said:

Who, exactly? 

And, to be honest, a few winning streaks and two years of decent league positions sounds f***ing brilliant. 

I have no **** clue as to who. And neither does our owners it seems. 

Yeah, me too, but then we'll change our tune when we drop a few places or don't progress and he's out and we start over again. 

Essentially, we're **** for eternity.

1 minute ago, AVFCDAN said:

A manager that can outperform the team would be great, last person to do that was Houllier and ONeil about 12-13 years ago. Ever since then we’ve either been worse or about the level the squad is at in the table.

There has to be someone out there that can get something more out of this bunch.

Christ, people hated MON, especially towards the end and how he 'botched fourth by not recruiting'. 

Still, agree with what you say.

6 minutes ago, daft said:

I have no **** clue as to who. And neither does our owners it seems. 

Yeah, me too, but then we'll change our tune when we drop a few places or don't progress and he's out and we start over again. 

Essentially, we're **** for eternity.

No, you said we’ve tried managers with Rodgers’ track record before. Who? 

8 minutes ago, daft said:

Christ, people hated MON, especially towards the end and how he 'botched fourth by not recruiting'. 

Still, agree with what you say.

I did, would describe more as being a stubborn word removed who even refused to use the players he bought while also recruiting poorly

He bought players he didn't need 

We can moan about sanson not getting a sniff but MON bought around 4 or 5 of him all on stupid money 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, El Zen said:

No, you said we’ve tried managers with Rodgers’ track record before. Who? 

Ah, sorry. I meant in the same vein as him, MON, Lambert, Houllier etc. It's essentially more of the same even if their CV:s aren't carbon copies. 

He might be just what we need, but I just don't see how appointing him would be a radical deviation from stuff we've already tried. 

2 hours ago, useless said:

We would probably get Potter if we wanted him, Brighton can only go so far and when or if he gets a chance to move to a big club he should take it as all it would take is for them to have another bad season which isn't exactly the most unlikely possibility and his stock will have fall pretty bad and then might not get another chance.

But I wouldn't want us to go for him anyway, it's not that he would be guaranteed to be a failure, but we've gone down the route so many times in the past of appointing managers with the idea that because they've done well at a club with less resources then if we appoint them they will somehow be amazing for us because we've got more resources, these are exactly the kind of managers we've been appointing for the last ten or so years and hasn't really got us anywhere.

Next time we appoint a new manager, should be someone that's proven at the top level, as close to being a guarantee of success as possible, not someone who's done okay at a smaller club but hasn't actually achieved anything, in Potter's case it's not even as if he's been particularly amazing for Brighton, highest finish tenth, other three seasons no higher than fifteenth, there are managers that have spent less than Brighton that have done better in the Premier League.

Does Nuno qualify then? Since promotion in 2018 two 7th place finishes, Fa cup SF and got to europa league QF and narrowly lost to that seasons's winners Sevilla. Also won stuff and got CL for other clubs he's managed.

Much rather watch Potter's style of football but I get the feeling he'll continue to be loyal to Brighton and only a CL club would tempt him.

35 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Surely Rodgers isn’t keen to go from challenging for a top 4 place to dropping down to sort out our issues?

He took over Leicester in Feb 2019 when they were 12th in the league. This was Puel's last match for Leicester:

Leicester 1-4 Crystal Palace: 'It is normal for fans to be worried' says Puel - BBC Sport

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

One thing I will say is that I don’t think we’re getting a new manager/ head coach anytime soon.

Really? I think he has until the WC break to show what he is made of. If this nonsense continues he will be gone. Gerrard has shown absolutely nothing so far, apart from getting a mate to sign, who tbh is keeping our best player out of the first team. Not exactly encouraging is it?

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I'd much rather we stopped buying more players and threw whatever money we have left at a top class manager - promise them a massive salary and a january and next summer budget that other clubs will envy

There is still plenty of time in this window too if they made a change of manager quick enough.  The key for me is just coach and improve the players we have at the moment.

• Thanks 1