Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

24 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

No way potter comes to us

Isn’t Potter a Villa fan? 

Even if he isn’t, I think he would definitely come here. The top 4 jobs are tied up for a while and I think in terms of ambition and backing we are as attractive as “the rest”

1 minute ago, AvonVillain said:

He's from Solihull, it's all Villa round there, so perhaps he's just not making waves for needless negativity.

Maybe. I don't care either way, I'm not one of these "we must have a Villa man" people, but him being a Villa fan gets mentioned loads, and at best it's unconfirmed

We would probably get Potter if we wanted him, Brighton can only go so far and when or if he gets a chance to move to a big club he should take it as all it would take is for them to have another bad season which isn't exactly the most unlikely possibility and his stock will have fall pretty bad and then might not get another chance.

But I wouldn't want us to go for him anyway, it's not that he would be guaranteed to be a failure, but we've gone down the route so many times in the past of appointing managers with the idea that because they've done well at a club with less resources then if we appoint them they will somehow be amazing for us because we've got more resources, these are exactly the kind of managers we've been appointing for the last ten or so years and hasn't really got us anywhere.

Next time we appoint a new manager, should be someone that's proven at the top level, as close to being a guarantee of success as possible, not someone who's done okay at a smaller club but hasn't actually achieved anything, in Potter's case it's not even as if he's been particularly amazing for Brighton, highest finish tenth, other three seasons no higher than fifteenth, there are managers that have spent less than Brighton that have done better in the Premier League.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, useless said:

We would probably get Potter if we wanted him, Brighton can only go so far and when or if he gets a chance to move to a big club he should take it as all it would take is for them to have another bad season which isn't exactly the most unlikely possibility and his stock will have fall pretty bad and then might not get another chance.

But I wouldn't want us to go for him anyway, it's not that he would be guaranteed to be a failure, but we've gone down the route so many times in the past of appointing managers with the idea that because they've done well at a club with less resources then if we appoint them they will somehow be amazing for us because we've got more resources, these are exactly the kind of managers we've been appointing for the last ten or so years and hasn't really got us anywhere.

Next time we appoint a new manager, should be someone that's proven at the top level, as close to being a guarantee of success as possible, not someone who's done okay at a smaller club but hasn't actually achieved anything, in Potter's case it's not even as if he's been particularly amazing for Brighton, highest finish tenth, other three seasons no higher than fifteenth, there are managers that have spent less than Brighton that have done better in the Premier League.

hard disagree.

3 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

For those arguing it's just one game - it really isn't. SG's record is quite poor since he came here despite having a solid squad and the club investing in some top talents. The tactics, lineups and play have all been very questionable. Despite the results, our play during the preseason was also quite poor. Think fans have a right to be genuinely worried. As some have mentioned, even the Villa content creators (i.e. vloggers, podcasters) - who generally are much more level headed than the anonymous keyboard warriors that frequent message boards, chatrooms and Twitter were fuming after yesterday's game and quite concerned about the future.

Yes I was hugely disappointed with the end of the season. From March 10th all we beat in the league were Norwich and Burnley. So many underwhelming performances in the last three months aswell. Worrying aswell considering we signed Coutinho and Digne in January rather than him just working with Dean's squad, Chambers also came in and impressed yet is behind Konsa in the pecking order.

There are loads of managers out there who could do much better than Gerrard. Some are gettable, some aren't.

I hope we beat Everton to settle everything down but feels like a sticky plaster season now, any wins will just paper over the fundamental flaws in our team.

It's about time we got a manager that has managed in high pressure situations. Proven manager,

Garde-experiment, di Matteo- Up and coming Chelsea fluke, Bruce- less said the better, McLeish- no explanation needed, Lambert - Unproven up and coming at the time, O' Leary- L**ds, O'neill- proven to a degree had a good profile and did give us a little bit of joy but wasn't used to a high pressure big budget job, , Smith -(Walsall and Brentford, no premier league level experience, albeit for the championship it was a big fish at the time).

Gerrard- good player.

Give us a proven winner of a MANAGER. Someone who knows what managing a big club means, can handle a good budget and isn't totally out of their depth. 

Potter again is another low resource manager. We need a proven managerial beast a manager that we consider has coached higher than us, this means a Poch (Paris, champions league finals, Tottenham (unfortunately they are bigger than us)) or I like a little shout for Umai Emery, a big occasion manager with a style of play. Like when Everton got Ancelotti we need a monster appointment, none of this promoting managers from lower teams, no experiments,

Give us an elite proven manager Villa!

8 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I’m going to beat the Marcelo Gallardo drum often. He’s an infinitely better manager than Gerrard. 

Or Sampaoli - we’d be orrible barstards to play against. 

He was my preferred choice before we got Gerrard. Don’t think he’ll come to a England, can see him in Spain if he leaves River.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Villarcana said:

It's about time we got a manager that has managed in high pressure situations. Proven manager,

Garde-experiment, di Matteo- Up and coming Chelsea fluke, Bruce- less said the better, McLeish- no explanation needed, Lambert - Unproven up and coming at the time, O' Leary- L**ds, O'neill- proven to a degree had a good profile and did give us a little bit of joy but wasn't used to a high pressure big budget job, , Smith -(Walsall and Brentford, no premier league level experience, albeit for the championship it was a big fish at the time).

Gerrard- good player.

Give us a proven winner of a MANAGER. Someone who knows what managing a big club means, can handle a good budget and isn't totally out of their depth. 

Potter again is another low resource manager. We need a proven managerial beast a manager that we consider has coached higher than us, this means a Poch (Paris, champions league finals, Tottenham (unfortunately they are bigger than us)) or I like a little shout for Umai Emery, a big occasion manager with a style of play. Like when Everton got Ancelotti we need a monster appointment, none of this promoting managers from lower teams, no experiments,

Give us an elite proven manager Villa!

Umai Emery great shout!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, av1 said:

I have posted before that I think Gerrard was a calculated risk. Use him to attract players and if he becomes a top manager great, if not at least he will leave some really good players which along with our ambitious board might help attract the sort of proven manager that would have been unattainable after Smith. 

I don't think Purslow sees it that way. I genuinely think Purslow sees Gerrard as the next big thing and wanted him here before other clubs jumped first. Smith losing 5 games gave him the opportunity to jump in. 

The only concern I have with Rodgers is how many goals Leicester conceded from corners last year.  It was almost a guaranteed goal and he and the coaches seemed unable to do anything about it.  Potter seems more on the way up and I'd prefer him, though I'd still take Rodgers over Gerrard.

Interestingly as I'm seemingly the only Villa fan anyone round my way has ever encountered, their first question they always ask me is 'what do you think of Gerrard?', to which I normally say I'm not convinced, I've never really liked him but he brought in Coutinho etc and they all agree.  Some of them have said we should go for Pochettino before I even broach the idea, so it's interesting that the casual fan thinks he might come here and it wouldn't be embarrassing to get rid of Gerrard this early in the season.