Match Thread: Villa v Chelsea

limpid

2 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

All Mings is interested in is not making another mistake not looking to atone as some suggest.  Definitely hiding by only hoofing or playing backwards

Thought you were right in your initial post about Mings just standing put after his mistake, but he's not hiding. It's sensible to play safe after that. Maybe even been told to do so.

Playing really well...  No idea how we aren't ahead at this point.  Kepa and his posts are having a blinder!

Gerrard needs to build on this performance...  If he keeps his job after today and goes back to the same dross we've been served up all season, we'll be relegation favorites.  

Just now, AshVilla said:

Lets not pretend were playing like Barca shall we.

All i'm seeing is hoofball down the channels against a side that hasn't turned up.

If you haven't enjoyed us just be all over Chelsea and have about 5 fantastic chances to score, then I suggest you cease supporting Villa and do something else with your time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Sackwatch: This is not, so far, a sackable performance, with one ounce of luck we would be going in 1-1. Played really well 7/10.

The standards have dropped so low it’s frightening. An ounce of a luck a sprinkle of magic we’d be top 6

• Like 1

Just now, ozvillafan said:

We're doing much better with some width and against a team that isn't playing a low block.

If only we had 2 wingers.

Our width comes from wing backs - there's nothing wrong with that.

The more notable thing for me is that Watkins has actual support up top and, lo and behold, it means we're actually able to make the ball stick up there and create some chances.

Just now, bobzy said:

Real shame about the error, because that's been a great half of football.  We really deserve to be ahead, and comfortably.

If Gerrard can keep us playing like this, I'd be happy.

It sure has. Trust their goalie to have a blinder.

Mings has been woeful. I've never known a player make such costly mistakes. 

Just now, AshVilla said:

Lets not pretend were playing like Barca shall we.

All i'm seeing is hoofball down the channels against a side that hasn't turned up.

That’s utter rubbish. If you can’t see that our performance was good then you need to take your blinkers off. We have been good today and we should be in front against a very good team. We are going to win this. Come on Villa!

• Like 2

A better half. 

Having width is giving us some opportunities to attack without getting crowded out. 

A bit of a gap between the front three and the CMs, but when we go wide at least there is support for players there. 

It's clear were looking to go front to back very quickly. We're doing this too often but it does show that we're trying to be flexible and adapt for the opponent. Which is a good step.

Watkins needs to be stronger and learn how to control. Clips of Martinez telling him how to shield the ball after Sterling hit the bar tell it all. 

Ings looking sharp and Bailey providing a threat. 

Generally, a pretty good half that should've seen us get a goal or two.