Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Southampton

limpid

Match Polls  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/09/22 at 22:59

Just now, srsmithusa said:

So. as good as newcastle is your ambition.  Fair enough, i suppose.  I hope for more.

Until their dodgy human rights abusers take-over I also hoped that we'd soon be better than Newcastle. But how is that going to happen now, realistically, now that they're the richest club in the world? Their take-over is a massive blow to us, I was gutted when I suddenly saw it in the news, I instantly thought about what it meant to Aston Villa and our top six ambitions. 

Fair play guess:

McGinn: " If I was watching on the television, I would have turned it off. "

"It's huge. We've been criticised for not grafting, and giving away cheap points, but we fought for every ball," he said. "It wasn't pretty, we know we can play better, but it was a huge three points for us and it feels good.

"It wasn't full of ability. If I was watching on the television, I would have turned it off. We owed the manager a performance and we've had a lot of criticism and you either go into your shell, or you puff your chest out. "

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/gerrard-mcginn-aston-villa-southampton-7597405

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

I didn’t count but I did think he did better than previous games.

He seems similar to Mings in some respects he takes responsibility.How often does Konsa give the ball away a few times but often he just passes to Mings and he is the one who has to take the blame if he misses a pass.

How often does Luiz make a forward pass.How often does he take responsibility?Rarely.

Mcginn and Mings have many similarities,both were in the Championship with us and both take risks with the ball.Often they make a forward pass and it doesn’t come off but who else is going to make forward risky passes.

I like players who don’t hide,who don’t give the ball to others so they can avoid making mistakes.

Mcginn for me has been poor this season but today he was OK.

The main issue I have with Mcginn is Douglas is clearly more comfortable on the ball and against city was much better and got dropped. Mcginn was appalling against city. I would rather we kept possession than McGinns lump a ball up the pitch 

3 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

How often does Luiz make a forward pass.How often does he take responsibility?Rarely.

Hmmmm - I don't think you can have watched Douglas Luiz play football if that's your take. He is one of 3 midfielders in our squad who are comfortable passing the ball and is the best one at it.

The through ball he played for Watkins against Man City was sublime (although everyone is talking about how Ashley Young chased KDB down to retrieve the ball - which was good, but he gave it to Luiz who then played an incredible eye of the needle pass)

Kamara is the other player who can actually pass, and sadly Sanson apparently persona non grata. McGinn has had an appalling 6-9 months or so and I really think his style of play and lifestyle has caught up with him. He needs a break from the team let alone being captain but you claim that means he's being scapegoated?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So the game was terrible, but even the best teams have to grind out results sometimes. Remember Arsenal before Wenger? It was all 1-0 wins and chants of “boring boring Arsenal” but those 1-0 boring games did their job. I know we lacked quality and I know it was tedious to watch but it was always going to be pretty hard to keep momentum after our game being postponed last weekend anyway but at least we kept the clean sheet and didn’t do the normal Villa think of conceding out if nowhere towards the end. Think West Ham only a few weeks ago. Yes it was scrappy, yes we can do better…but at least we won. 3 points in the bag and hopefully on to better days. Hopefully. 

Edited by CLARETANDBLUEFOXY

39 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

7 points out of 21.

6 goals in 7 games.

we have played 5 relegation candidates and 2 top teams.

and you find it funny that people are unhappy with the season so far.

how bad should the season have been before you think it justified to be unhappy?

palace and west ham are not going to be anywhere near the relegation spots come the end of the season. Worst case for both will be mid table mediocrity.

It was a shit and very unlucky start. Things have stabilised. Hopefully things will get better now. Maybe they won’t (I’m certainly not suggesting Gerrard is some kind of messiah) but unless we’ve got Pochettino or someone of his calibre lined up, we need to get behind the manager. The players certainly still seem to be behind him. 

• Like 1

Finally got back at 01:00 this morning thanks to closures of the A14.

MOTM Villa Park crowd and the minutes silence such an experience to see a packed VP at night with 1 light on the centre circle and not a sound....well done us

Awful, awful game, I cannot add anything to the comments mentioned on here....Gerrard football is dreadfull.

Yet people I talk to at work (who are not Villa fans) are amazed to hear that "most" of us want him out. .......

3 points = stay of execution for Gerrard (can prince William do anything about that?)

VTID

• Like 3

Yes game was awful, the stats prove it 3 shots on target in the entire game!

The manager still seems to be lacking tactical nous and playing favourites.

I still want Gerrard to succeed, but still don't see any real sign he is good enough. I Villa to do well regardless of the manager. The manager is not doing a good job, and so his job is still very much in jeopardy.

McGinn is in the worse from I have ever seen him in! McGinn was the main reason we gave possession away in midfield.

I remember at one point Digne went to close down Walker-Peters, and Djenpo had acres of space where Mcginn was meant to be marking. Mcginn just stood there in no man's land and Mings had to close down. Any team in decent form would have punished us there.

Mcginn is also still doing that stupidness of charging into tackles he isn't going to win and give the opposition a perfect opportunity to counter as a result. He makes loads of key passes and tackles. But misses loads of passes and tackles as well. 

I have no idea how he still starts as Luiz's form is good and Mcginns is atrocious!

6 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

I didn’t count but I did think he did better than previous games.

He seems similar to Mings in some respects he takes responsibility.How often does Konsa give the ball away a few times but often he just passes to Mings and he is the one who has to take the blame if he misses a pass.

Mcginn and Mings have many similarities,both were in the Championship with us and both take risks with the ball.Often they make a forward pass and it doesn’t come off but who else is going to make forward risky passes.

I like players who don’t hide,who don’t give the ball to others so they can avoid making mistakes.

Mcginn for me has been poor this season but today he was OK.

But you must recognise he doesn't have the quality. His work ethic is great but it's time for him to step aside

3 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Worst game? People must have watched a different game to me.

Was not great, I would agree.

Villa prevented Southampton from getting a real shot on goal, clean sheet. Does that count for nothing?

Villa's press forced Southampton to play a lot of hoof ball. (I can't help thinking Villa would almost be better off  playing on the counter attack).

Villa's problem is breaking down defences once they are set.

The worst Villa game I have seen? September 1968, watching from Tilton Road: Blues 4 : 0 Villa. People have no idea these days.

Yes but let's face it , times have changed and if we can't create  chances there us something drastically wrong. It's not just this game is it?  It's been all season and much of last.

47 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

It was a shit and very unlucky start. Things have stabilised. Hopefully things will get better now.

Yes shit but how was it unlucky? We were awful and we were given an easy early fixture run before we had to play Arsenal.  

Things haven’t stabilised at all, yes we have 3 points but that performance was awful and thankfully Southampton were even worse.  

We can’t really, with a straight face, say that we stopped Southampton from playing, they were just so god damn awful and we weren’t much better, thankfully we got a goal.  

We did nothing else and if those are the kind of performances for the future then other teams will beat us.

The one light has been the City performance but otherwise we are far from stable and yes we can build from the points because we certainly can’t build from the performance, cohesion, tactics, style or anything like that.  

Gerrard is on borrowed time and this has probably given him more time but the guy is lost.  That performance was hideous from a technical point of view.  I’m not even talking attractive, I’m talking technical and Gerrard doesn’t seem to get it in his interviews, blaming others.  He needs to be sacked.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

palace and west ham are not going to be anywhere near the relegation spots come the end of the season. Worst case for both will be mid table mediocrity.

It was a shit and very unlucky start. Things have stabilised. Hopefully things will get better now. Maybe they won’t (I’m certainly not suggesting Gerrard is some kind of messiah) but unless we’ve got Pochettino or someone of his calibre lined up, we need to get behind the manager. The players certainly still seem to be behind him. 

At the moment the form of palace and West Ham are relegation form, if their form improve later, it was lucky we played them now.

We have not lost any points this season because we have been unlucky. I would rather say we was lucky against Everton, they could have easily equalised towards the end of the game.

Not sure what you mean by stabilised, yesterday we played one of the worst games all season. Maybe you mean we have stabilised on a very low level, but I don’t see that as a positive thing.

Things cannot really get much worse, so the only way is up as they say.

Our players are true professionals, and they do they job they are payed to do. I also suspect a few of them play to get a transfer, and who could blame them.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Definition of a Pyrrhic victory.

Definition of a Pyrrhic victory is 

A Pyrrhic victory (/ˈpɪrɪk/ (11px-Loudspeaker.svg.pnglisten) PIRR-ik) is a victory that inflicts such a devastating toll on the victor that it is tantamount to defeat. Such a victory negates any true sense of achievement or damages long-term progress.

So, kindly explain the devastating damage that was done to the team last night. 

Not sure all those talking of Pyrrhic victory have quite got the meaning right.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

This is my main issue, the fans were there with them and its just been lost for now. Not sure who or what brings that back. Probably not Gerrard

Consistently trying to play good football would be enough to get the ball rolling. Having a fan as Captain and as Manager isn't going to happen again soon but a group that love being together and trying to outplay teams would get everyone back on board.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PaulC said:

Points more important than the performance. Thought Mings and Konsa were outstanding 

Don't agree, what we need is a way of playing, teamwork and interplay to create chances to beat teams. Shithousing 3 points playing filth is not going to get us where we want to go.

• Like 2

Probably for the first time in ages after a win I didn’t feel happy/excited. It was a terrible game of football and both sides were so poor. 

A win is a win, gotta take any 3 points you can get in this league but any half decent side would have beaten us comfortably last night. In a ideal world the owners would use this mini high to get a new manager in but I’m guessing he will be given a bit longer now 

The win reminded me of the type of wins under Alex Mcleish and Steve Bruce in the championship. Just not enjoyable to watch and it’s a big concern with the quality of players we have. 

Hopefully Kamara injury isn’t too serious, as we are now watching last seasons team. 

• Like 4

Â