Jump to content

Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Southampton


limpid
 Share

Match Polls  

215 members have voted

  1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

  2. 2. Manager's Performance

  3. 3. Refereeing Performance


This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/09/22 at 22:59

Recommended Posts

On 18/09/2022 at 07:21, AlwaysAVFC said:

Sorry yes did miss Bailey, nearly missed Ramsey too when writing it. He was a but frustrating to watch. Listening to the TV commentary though I think they were a bit harsh on his performance. He did have an impact and was a bit of a threat that didn't quite click. Southampton defended against Bailey quite well and he it got quite congested for him. 

It was in Craig Butlers mad rant but it was in part true about Leon Bailey being a winger and not being played as one. Partly down to Southamptons tactics as much as ours but I think we would get more from him if he played wider and had more of the ball deeper with more space to attack.

Players like Bailey will frustrate at times, so it doesn't bother me too much, there will be games that he doesn't get much joy, but him and the rest of the team need to still use the ball quicker in the space thats created by attention to Bailey.

I often wonder if this, " Playing a player in the wrong place, is just cop out"......I guess, it does have credence at times, but I am also sceptical too.

top players, make it happen......They win their duels, by hook or by crook, its desire.

Its always the lesser players, thay see to have an issue, with their deployment......The good ones just get on with it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/09/2022 at 17:45, TRO said:

I often wonder if this, " Playing a player in the wrong place, is just cop out"......I guess, it does have credence at times, but I am also sceptical too.

top players, make it happen......They win their duels, by hook or by crook, its desire.

Its always the lesser players, thay see to have an issue, with their deployment......The good ones just get on with it.

Colin Gibson comes to mind, cracking full - back and not a bad midfielder. 

Where are the John Robson's of today. No matter your position, just give your all. That's why Ashley Young has been catching the eye, not by doing anything spectacular but just giving us supporters some good, honest determination. There isn't a football fan who doesn't appreciate that quality. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/09/2022 at 12:42, danceoftheshamen said:

I liken that Southampton performance to one I witnessed many years back under a certain Ron Saunders, a few months before he infamously quit.  We were Champions at the time but had had a really poor start to the season losing at home 0-1 to a newly promoted Notts County on our opening home game as I remember (Having drawn at Spurs on opening day). The season was a real let down in the League with regular runs of losses, despite solid progress in the European cup of course which we infamously ended up winning. I seem to remember we had been on a really poor run in particular leading up to the game in question.

That was Brighton & Hove Albion away in December 1981. Coming off about 3 straight losses it was getting really worrying and I distinctly remember a very similar kind of dull, battling "dig your heels in" kind of performance on that day. It got quite a bit of criticism as I remember yet we won the game 1-0. I remember distinctly Ron Saunders saying that it was a "stop the rot" performance. Saying we simply had to dig our heels in and stop the rot and that whilst it was not a pretty game in was simply necessary to stop the run of defeats.

That game against Southampton felt exactly like that and was simply what was urgently needed in my opinion.

 

It's a crying shame the board didn't see it that way. 

I was at that game . Good old C - Crew days. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Never understood any of that xG stuff but I do know they didn’t manage a shot on target & didn’t really come close.

The xG would back that up. But it would also suggest we didn’t come very close either except for our goal. 
 

Basically one chance was the difference. I’d say that qualifies as scraping it. 
 

Dominate the game we did not 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The xG would back that up. But it would also suggest we didn’t come very close either except for our goal. 
 

Basically one chance was the difference. I’d say that qualifies as scraping it. 
 

Dominate the game we did not 

Just using the evidence of my eyes, I would say we were pretty much totally in  control but failed to make very much of that control. People can quote xG statistics as much as they like but that’s simply what I observed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
6 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Just using the evidence of my eyes, I would say we were pretty much totally in  control but failed to make very much of that control. People can quote xG statistics as much as they like but that’s simply what I observed.

Your eyes are subjective. xG is not ;)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/09/2022 at 19:37, sheepyvillian said:

It's a crying shame the board didn't see it that way. 

I was at that game . Good old C - Crew days. 

Thats amazing sheepyvillain, I didn't go but remember reading all about it in the papers the day after. I only managed a few of the more local away games back then due to lack of funds and being at school still lol! I remember the huge let down when we lost 0-1 to Notts County in the first home game though very clearly. As well as the massive drop of in results as compared to the title winning season. 

Did you watch the Southampton game by any chance? As from the description it sounded like a similar type of game (Less the undoubted crunching tackles which were allowed back then of course lol!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Thats amazing sheepyvillain, I didn't go but remember reading all about it in the papers the day after. I only managed a few of the more local away games back then due to lack of funds and being at school still lol! I remember the huge let down when we lost 0-1 to Notts County in the first home game though very clearly. As well as the massive drop of in results as compared to the title winning season. 

Did you watch the Southampton game by any chance? As from the description it sounded like a similar type of game (Less the undoubted crunching tackles which were allowed back then of course lol!)

Yes, I watched the Southampton game and I was one of the few on here that actually took heart from it. When players give their all for the cause, then, it's credit where credit is due. 

I sure do miss those halcyon days though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Yes, I watched the Southampton game and I was one of the few on here that actually took heart from it. When players give their all for the cause, then, it's credit where credit is due. 

I sure do miss those halcyon days though.

I agree it (Southampton) was a cause for optimism. A real line in the sand "thou shalt not pass" kind of performance which was what was required I felt personally...& better still it worked. Now we need a similar performance to grab something from elland road, which will of course be tough and we do not normally do very well coming off an international break, so it'll be interesting to see if there is any improvement on that too. 

I miss those days immensley too, the days of the old football special trains & police escorts with the c crew usually making an appearance in the oppositions end. In fact the first time I ever heard the "c crew where are you" chant was at Sundays venue Elland road!!  

That is all for another thread though of course.

Very happy with the 3 points against Saints & I just hope it's the turning of the corner finally.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â