Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Southampton

limpid

Match Polls  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/09/22 at 22:59

A very scruffy game and Gerrard had obviously set up so as not to lose it.

Therefore Watkins was completely isolated, and as has become the habit, Villa's final ball was poor, and the few chances they got they lashed at the ball, even when they were not under pressure.

I thought Coutinho was pretty good.

Villa defended well and the Saints only had one shot on target.

Ward-Prowse had a particularly poor game.

Villa were okay but by the end, comparing the two teams, it definitely felt like a six-pointer.

I was going to leave work early to watch the game, but took one look at the starting XI and decided that I didn't need to see the whole thing. I got some work done that I didn't want hanging around my desk on Monday and watched from midway through the second half.

From what I saw, and from what I've heard here on VT, I have no regrets. A lucky win from a lucky rebound off a corner. No creativity whatsoever. At least least we kept a clean sheet.

2 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

What do you think of the performances so far?

Don't get me wrong, it hasn't been great and I have no issue with constructive criticism. 

I thought every player showed the dog in him tonight, and for that I give credit. 

I'm just referring to the constant whingers. Three hard earned points and all some want to do is hate on the manager.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

We were clearly better than them.

Like comparing dung from two different wild animals, one will smell better than the other, but it's still shit your smelling 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, robby b said:

The way I see it, points and performance always both matter (unless it's nearly the end of the season and we literally can't go any higher or lower in the table, then points might not matter anymore). 

But today I think the three points were even more important than the performance because of how precarious a position we were in in the table. It's still precarious but a bit less now. So now there's a bit less pressure on the team maybe they'll play better in the next game, hopefully.

We'd have been in big trouble if we hadn't won today given how poor Southampton were... it's likely there will be very few games over the season in which our opponent plays so badly. So thank f*** we won it, phew ! :s

A win against a dia Southampton display is not gonna change our season. We may win the odd game, but we are shite under Gerrard , an it ain't gonna change, so look forward to the rest of the season, I can guarantee if we keep him, we will finish below midtable

• Like 3

For those hoping for an Arteta/Arsenal fairytale turn around, this Club is bumping along, and just. Their emergence was with a bang, we are desperate for even a uninspired scrappy 1-0 at home. The performance to build on was Man City, today despite the victory was a return to form, albeit against clueless opposition who other than the scrappy goal was difficult to differentiate. We are gash, no idea, no pattern, no promise, no identity, no future.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

A very scruffy game and Gerrard had obviously set up so as not to lose it.

Therefore Watkins was completely isolated, and as has become the habit, Villa's final ball was poor, and the few chances they got they lashed at the ball, even when they were not under pressure.

I thought Coutinho was pretty good.

Villa defended well and the Saints only had one shot on target.

Ward-Prowse had a particularly poor game.

Villa were okay but by the end, comparing the two teams, it definitely felt like a six-pointer.

Your bang on here. Gerrard knows he's in the shit, which is why he set defensive, smash and grab against a very poor Southampton.

I'm not annoyed and i'm happy for the win, but i'm not " inspired " either, if that makes any sense?

Meh is the mood.

Two things, a couple people have said, yeah what we needed most was 3 points etc, this is true, but if it's foreshadowing, not sure i'm overly confident as i feel the potential is being throttled.

So for example, even if we end up being decent and mid table ( 10th for example) you will always feel we are potentially several places and performances higher.

I will reserve judgement,

I'm just happy not being totally depressed right now.

that's probably in part to my shit mix home made Cider via Heineken and some random sparkling wine i picked up to make a cheap cider..

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

Â