Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Southampton

limpid

Match Polls  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/09/22 at 22:59

59 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Gerrard out army you have the floor. You have taken over all of VT already. 

Even when we win you'll trot out the same shite as always

Did you watch the game?

Because this really reads like you didn't watch the game.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I disagree. Southampton deserves our respect. Just as we learnt to our cost did Bournemouth. if it was a bannaskin game then we avoided it.

I'd argue southampton were even worse than bournemouth. Worst team to come to vp in a good while 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Agreed. I hope our confidence level improves a bit with that. It would make a world of difference.

It's exactly that. A team with self- belief will more often win than lose.

Yes, the first ,- half was dull but I thought in the second- half we bullied them, it's been a while since I saw us win that many second balls. I love that shit, I'll lap it up all day.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WHY said:

It wasn’t great but in truth we needed to steady the ship and grind out a few results which we have done. Coutinho was better, Mings was very good again and McGinn was a better, so a few positives. Actually thought the defensive looked pretty solid tonight. Hopefully Kamara will be back after the international break, UTV. 

Yes, I think you're right, it was an improvement. Clean sheet is always welcome and the bedrock of all decent sides. Signs of life from Coutinho. Personally I would start Buendia as well, but when you are in the shit 3points is very welcome, and we have a base to build from.

• Like 2

Didn’t feel like a win walking out of VP tonight. Felt much more positive after the City draw last time out. Obviously happy with the 3 points and clean sheet but that was a dire match. Hard to explain really as we were in complete control for the whole game but it didn’t inspire any confidence whatsoever in the current regime. 

I love John McGinn as next as the next villa fan but it is bordering on cruel to keep this up. He is woefully out of form and despite a couple of decent late challenges (one of which he was inexplicably booked for) he is a blatant weak link. What does Dougie need to do to get in ahead of him? 

Ollie did well in a thankless task and I voted Phil MOTM although it could’ve gone to Mings. We have a very good squad of players that are being made to look ordinary by a manager that needs to go. 

Final word for the ref who I thought was atrocious. Best league in the world? Need to improve the officials please.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

A win against a dia Southampton display is not gonna change our season. We may win the odd game, but we are shite under Gerrard , an it ain't gonna change, so look forward to the rest of the season, I can guarantee if we keep him, we will finish below midtable

ali diaWEB.jpg.gallery.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Seems like Villa fans weren’t alone in thinking it was a poor match overall. Some quotes from the BBC report:

Villa made nearly all the running in a game desperately short on quality 
… 
It was, to be brutally honest, a dreadful game lacking in quality, but Gerrard will not care as Villa will take wins any way they can get them at the moment after a poor start to the season 
… 
The winning goal from Ramsey was scrappy, totally befitting such a poor game 
… 
It was not pleasing on the eye but Villa fully merited the win

55 minutes ago, TomC said:

I was going to leave work early to watch the game, but took one look at the starting XI and decided that I didn't need to see the whole thing. I got some work done that I didn't want hanging around my desk on Monday and watched from midway through the second half.

From what I saw, and from what I've heard here on VT, I have no regrets. A lucky win from a lucky rebound off a corner. No creativity whatsoever. At least least we kept a clean sheet.

Enjoyable night then , sets you up for the weekend enjoy.

• Like 1

Â