Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Southampton

limpid

Match Polls  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/09/22 at 22:59

7 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Definition of a Pyrrhic victory is 

A Pyrrhic victory (/ˈpɪrɪk/ (11px-Loudspeaker.svg.pnglisten) PIRR-ik) is a victory that inflicts such a devastating toll on the victor that it is tantamount to defeat. Such a victory negates any true sense of achievement or damages long-term progress.

So, kindly explain the devastating damage that was done to the team last night. 

Not sure all those talking of Pyrrhic victory have quite got the meaning right.

The damage is continuing with Gerrard when it's clear he can't get a tune out of this squad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

I wonder sometimes how when something is repeated a few times on here it influences other posters and becomes fact.

Mcginn in my opinion did quite well today much better than previous games.
Villa talk loves a scapegoat.One player who is responsible for a poor performance or general poor form.

Previous recipients of this award have been Elgazi,Trezeguet, Targett,Mings,Watkins etc.It’s strange that some of these players have left and we haven’t improved drastically.Mings for me is a classic example,when he doesn’t play we look considerably weaker but it was often discussed on here that he is the weak link in our defence.

We need to find one player who is responsible for all our woes who the manager still picks and when the manager realises his mistake and stops picking him we will be brilliant.

Unfortunately it’s a false dawn.When we drop this player and play the player everyone thinks should be playing we will still  lose.

Well, often they are a scapegoat because they are poor players. Trez and Elghazi. 

Mings (I am a big fan)made lots of errors and has since improved. 

Mcginn doesn't have the technical ability. 

The squad and players are slowly getting better, the issue is the manager , his system, and picking Mcginn. 

I think it was really important for us to get a win yesterday, following up the city draw with a professional win and clean sheet. I don't think we were particularly free-flowing and we still looked quite clunky in large parts of the game but defensively we were much better, especialluy Konsa, who won a lot of headers last night and looked like he did in his first season here. We still made quite a few sloppy passes in midfield but we did tackle a lot and manage to win a lot of the ball back in midfield, i think you need you be capable of putting in those performances.

The tribute to the queen and new king was great to be a part of and to witness aswell. We are in a much better place going into the international break too, I think we probably could have beaten leicester aswell, it would have been great to go into the international break with 10 points on the board.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Gerrard out army you have the floor. You have taken over all of VT already. 

Even when we win you'll trot out the same shite as always

Look at the 53 pages on the first day of the SG thread.....you will get the gist.

Edited by TRO

Under the circumstances, it was workman like, business like, industrious and prudent.....well fought 3 points

Southampton tried to out muscle us towards the end, but we held firm.

The candy can come later....food on the table ( points) comes first.

Well done to SG for changing his approach.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Under the circumstances, it was workman like, business like, industrious and prudent.....well fought 3 points

Southampton tried to out muscle us towards the end, but we held firm.

The candy can come later....food on the table ( points) comes first.

Well done to SG for changing his approach.

What did he change, looked the same old to me. 4 3 3 with digne pushing forward.  No credit for Gerrard here as we played awful

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Look at the 53 pages on the first day of the SG thread.....you will get the jist.

And pretty much everything people were predicting and anxious about regarding Gerrard has turned out to be correct.

• Like 2

Some of the comments on here give the impression some people are disappointed we won. The guy hasn’t even been here a year yet. Take a look at Alex Fergusons results in his first two years at Utd. They were really poor, can remember singing you’ll be sacked in the morning at him at VP. Buckle up people, this is a long term job. We’ve a lot of catching up to do. This is a guy who can get some big signings through the door. Have faith, up the Villa.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, skell said:

What did he change, looked the same old to me. 4 3 3 with digne pushing forward.  No credit for Gerrard here as we played awful

Do you think formations are the only thing, to constitute change.

He changed the approach, the mentality....less gungho, injected industry, quicker to the ball, more inclined to mix it....showed a points savvy mindset.

They pressed us, we showed more resistance to the press, than in the earlier games.

Watkins was holding the ball up better against 2 brutes, and winning more headers....worked damn hard with his running.....how he got one vote, is beyond me.

Mings was once again error free, maybe the captaincy was a shrewd move,after all,  allowing him to concentrate on his own game.

......thats what he changed.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Some of the comments on here give the impression some people are disappointed we won. The guy hasn’t even been here a year yet. Take a look at Alex Fergusons results in his first two years at Utd. They were really poor, can remember singing you’ll be sacked in the morning at him at VP. Buckle up people, this is a long term job. We’ve a lot of catching up to do. This is a guy who can get some big signings through the door. Have faith, up the Villa.

and you do know, that will be scoffed at.....nice to hear the Holte end behind him last Night.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

Do you think formations are the only thing, to constitute change.

He changed the approach, the mentality....less gungho, injected industry, quicker to the ball, more inclined to mix it....showed a points savvy mindset.

They pressed us, we showed more resistance to the press, than in the earlier games.

Watkins was holding the ball up better against 2 brutes, and winning more headers....worked damn hard with his running.....how he got one vote, is beyond me.

Mings was once again error free, maybe the captaincy was a shrewd move,after all,  allowing him to concentrate on his own game.

......thats what he changed.

He told them to try more, run more.and work harder. What a genius! 

But really, he gets no credit for any of the above. Any self respecting manager should be able to motivate a team.

Where are the forward patterns of play, creation of chances, incisive moves. Sadly nowhere to be seen

13 hours ago, MaVilla said:

that was a terrible performance, we just happened to play a team who played even worse, my lord what a bore that was.

Gerrard gets another reprieve, if he thinks that performance is gonna win anyone over he needs his head looking at.

He doesn't, it was a performance to gain points and regain confidence and belief.

wins breed confidence, he is getting us back up the league, slowly, but surely.....perfectly sensible to me.

Dour as it was, it was well fought physically, Southampton too, contributed to that spectacle, but I can see why they played like they did, too.

There will be time, for champagne football, right now, its not.

I notice the nihilists amongst us have gone from results, to style of play to further their narrative.

2 teams contribute to the spectacle of a game....not one.

• Like 3

Just now, skell said:

He told them to try more, run more.and work harder. What a genius! 

But really, he gets no credit for any of the above. Any self respecting manager should be able to motivate a team.

Where are the forward patterns of play, creation of chances, incisive moves. Sadly nowhere to be seen

Give Brendan Rodgers a call.....he might need your advice.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, romavillan said:

Terrible, just abjectly awful. Those 3 points will mean in they won't sack Gerrard so the rubbish football will continue. All the momentum and great feeling around the club has gone.

pull out the match report, for Stoke away...20 Apr 1981....1-1 draw.

I would imagine some fans would baulk at that football too.....it takes 2 teams to make  spectacle.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

We're just boring I'm afraid.

Play in a plodding manner with only real emphasis on getting crosses from deep which are mostly speculative from the distances the FBs or Bailey are hitting it from.

The odd occasion we string together decent one touch passing it all falls down when Ollie isn't quick enough to control or move the ball on. We play so slowly we very rarely get a one v one anywhere around the pitch.

All I can see this season is just doing the minimum of winning these type of games and hovering around 12-14th.

It's basically a replica of what we were like post cup final under Gregory, group of experienced internationals just trying to grind wins out every week and hoping a flair player can come up with something to win a game.

The managers, you are suggesting are in top jobs, and unlikely to chance their arm, with players of questionable ability.

When teams are intent in outmuscling us, shoving us flying from behind, without, any official intervention.....its hard to play football.

sure the alternative ( top teams) is to play around that, but with some of our players, without a decent first touch or ball control, that isn't easy either.

Edited by TRO

Â