Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

4 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

40 points first and then we can dream

Yeah I think that’s where we have to concentrate first, we’d realistically have to win 16+ games (and a few draws) of our remaining 25 games to be in with a shout of 6th or 7th place, that’s a pretty tough ask from where we are on 12pts with 3 wins, can’t stop us dreaming though! 

2 hours ago, messi11 said:

Brighton are beatable 

Absolutely.

It's not going to be an easy game, but a lot of people seem keen to downplay our chances. Ultimately, they're lower in the table than the redmancs, so if we can dominate them, we can beat bloody Brighton.

4 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

The win today covers one of the defeats against the easier teams we have lost to.

Our home form is actually really good. Terrible performances but solid wins v Everton and Southampton, a draw v Man. City which is pretty much a win given their superiority to all the league (and we were losing that), today was historic in its own way and we smashed Brentford. When you think of all those chances we missed v Chelsea really the only poor one was West Ham and even that was a tight margin game when we could've been leading if the corner had stayed in.

4 wins from first 7 at home so we've actually got a realistic chance of hitting double figure home wins in prem for first time since 07/08 season. Just 6 goals conceded is very good going aswell, that is actually top 6/7 stats.

Just a shame we don't really look like grinding out an away win anytime soon although I'm hopeful a manager of Emery's calibre will change that and we'll get some clean sheets as a building block.

Would be fine with a 0-0 at Brighton next week.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, messi11 said:

Top 6 home form
image.png

Without the two home win after Gerrard’s departure, we would have been 19th in home form too. I’m sure that when Emery have a few away matches under his belt, we are going to jump in the away table too.

6 hours ago, messi11 said:

Brighton are beatable 

With the mindset from the Gerrard area, the next 3 would have been a write off. Now when we have seen what Emery can do with our squad, suddenly the next 3 are winnable. I think you @messi11 predicted 4 points from the first 4 games under Emery, I thought it was well optimistic. Now it would be disappointing if we only managed 4 points from the Emery’s first 4 games. What a different one match can have.

• Like 2

We have a top 7 squad, I already believed that under Gerrard and since then it’s really been proven. We are better than Newcastle in almost every area on and off the pitch, but they are absolutely flying with momentum and are already a way ahead on points so will be difficult to catch this season.

We can certainly beat and finish above Brighton though. It’s **** Brighton.

5 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

We have a top 7 squad, I already believed that under Gerrard and since then it’s really been proven. We are better than Newcastle in almost every area on and off the pitch, but they are absolutely flying with momentum and are already a way ahead on points so will be difficult to catch this season.

We can certainly beat and finish above Brighton though. It’s **** Brighton.

You underestimate Newcastle I think. They have some really good players. They're not doing well by accident.

33 minutes ago, Rolta said:

You underestimate Newcastle I think. They have some really good players. They're not doing well by accident.

Don’t think I’d take any of their players over ours though, current form excluded and ages considered otherwise there’s a case for Trippier (good player, getting on a bit), Wilson (let’s be honest, he’s an average PL striker), and Almiron (form of his life).

Even Guimarães I prefer Kamara and Luiz. Many would make our squad of course.

Our best chance to get into Europe this season is to win a cup.  I think it will be extremely unlikely we finish top 7 unless we go on an amazing run of form.

But the like of West Ham, Leicester and Wolves seems to have stagnated or regressed, Newcastle and Brighton have slipped in there, so you never know.

• Like 1