Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think European football would be a bit of a stretch this season. Would be delighted with a top ten finish.

Having said that, every season since 2018/19, the difference between 7th* and 10th has been between 3 and 5 points. This suggests to me that if we find ourselves 10th at the end of the season, qualifying for Europe wouldn’t have been that far out of the question.

Although it’s worth noting that the six seasons prior to 2018/19, the point difference between 7th and 10th ranged from 10 to 16 points.

*As mentioned previously, there were some seasons among those when 7th wasn’t guaranteed European qualification.

If we end up about 10th, it would show that we should have been more proactive in sacking Gerrard off as we dropped at least 4-6 points under him.

Having said that I would take 10th right now.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yes and wasn't it typical Villa it happened the year we got to the Cup Final. I am sure Hull the year before qualified for it.

Our relegation team playing in Europe could have been comical. Knocked out by some fishermen from Faroe Islands as Richards and Lescott get schooled by a guy finishing a 12 hour shift

• Haha 1

I think people are getting a bit overexcited by us beating a Man Utd team that was missing Bruno Fernandes, had a lazy Ronaldo up top who allowed us to knock it around at the back, and has been mediocre away from home this season.

Unai has clearly improved the performance already, but I want to see how he gets on with the away trip to Brighton, and then whether we can sustain form through a few games before believing anything better than 10th is realistic.

Also an injury to Bailey or one of the back 5 could cause us some problems.

Still a work in progress, but am optimistic now that we can look up the table instead of worrying about what’s going on below us.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think people are getting a bit overexcited by us beating a Man Utd team that was missing Bruno Fernandes, had a lazy Ronaldo up top who allowed us to knock it around at the back, and has been mediocre away from home this season.

Unai has clearly improved the performance already, but I want to see how he gets on with the away trip to Brighton, and then whether we can sustain form through a few games before believing anything better than 10th is realistic.

Still a work in progress, but am optimistic now that we can look up the table instead of worrying about what’s going on below us.

We will beat Brighton! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

We will slap them up. 

Brighton without Potter is no magic! 

Brighton only turn up against the big sides. 
Lucky for us we haven't been a big side since Early 80's 

If we can beat man u tomorrow night I think we could have a decent go at the league cup. Chelsea, Tottenham, Man U and Arsenal out in the 3rd round. A few kind draws and we could be in with a shout.

Is it the case that the runner up gets the place in europa if the winner is already in champions league through league placing, or dont they do that anymore?

25 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Is it the case that the runner up gets the place in europa if the winner is already in champions league through league placing, or dont they do that anymore?

No, it then goes to the league.

10 hours ago, turvontour said:

If we can beat man u tomorrow night I think we could have a decent go at the league cup. Chelsea, Tottenham, Man U and Arsenal out in the 3rd round. A few kind draws and we could be in with a shout.

How do you get past Man City though that is the problem.

13 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Exactly how i see it. You dont magically turn around a atrocious away form like we have. Its going to take time.

Baby steps

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

How do you get past Man City though that is the problem.

Man City have bigger fish to fry, League and CL is their priority. Also we drew with them this season, and let a two goal lead slip last season.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Man City have bigger fish to fry, League and CL is their priority. Also we drew with them this season, and let a two goal lead slip last season.

Haven't they won the league cup 5 times in the last 7 seasons or something?

• Like 1

City beat Chelsea with ease going to be  avery hard ask to take them.best we can hope for is of we get through is they go away to Newcastle.

Think at villa park we can beat newcastle as if our finishing wasnt so abysmal that day the game could have been different 

You just never know. Pick up a couple of Unai players in January, get a strong restart in difficult games then it could be on. Think we are too much of a work in progress and other teams are really pushing on like Newcastle for it to be a reality though. 

• Like 1