Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

We can certainly finish above Brighton. They've been top 7 for most of this season. Missed the Japanese player today but if you can limit space to likes of Trossard they don't have many other ways of hurting you. 

We did a really good job of nullifying their attackers today.

• Like 2

I genuinely don’t mind this talk but i do find, especially here, that if it gathers pace and does so quickly it can turn a bit toxic when we lose a game or two. We’ve beaten two very good teams . Had to defend resolutely today. I’m enjoying it though and can’t wait until after Christmas 😊

• Like 2

On 28/10/2022 at 20:11, tomsky_11 said:

Who do we play and what points would we potentially need to finish with between 53 and 60?

Pre winter break - new MNU bha - 4 to 5 points - At least one win from these feels doable, with Brighton perhaps most likely. At least one or two points from the other games seems feasible if we play as well as we did on Sunday.

Part 1 completed +1 point!

Up next...

On 28/10/2022 at 20:11, tomsky_11 said:

Post winter break - LIV tot WOL LEE sou LEI mnc ARS - 12 to 15 points - 4 games we should be looking to win, bookended either side by 4 of the 'top 6'. We'll need to be consistently good against the weaker sides and then hopefully pick up the odd point against the stronger sides.

• 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

We need Man City to win the League Cup as usual to have an outside chance of Europe through the league.

Hopefully Man City win against Liverpool, then Chelsea beat them at the FA cup.

We should win the FA Cup & the League Cup!

Would be good to be pushing at the top 7 before end of Jan window. Table from 6th down is pretty tight...

image.png.019426045f75ab8b6738a5353854afa4.png

...and fixtures look somewhat favourable...

image.png.d81f7a36979b5c20efd3a13977483058.png

Lots of teams above us playing each other so guaranteed dropped points somewhere. Jumping the three teams just a point above us into 9th should be minimum aim I think. Three wins I think gives us a chance of leaping Brighton as well. Get anything from our next two games and 7th might come into play. Might be helpful with a week left of the transfer window to be in this kind of position.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lupinthe5th said:

No excuses

Not taking that at face value.

First three of Liverpool, Spurs and local derby of Wolves is probably the toughest restart in the league.

Leicester listed as 14 for us. They're a much harder game than Palace (9), West Ham (11) and Man Utd (7) IMO.

Southampton away (17) is much harder than Everton at home (16).

That's not a well made guide.

If I see good performances, I'll be happy.

Edited by Tomaszk

4 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Just hope people don't freak out when we lose to Liverpool, and struggle against Spurs.

We'll be ok after that. 

I'm fine with us dropping point in those games so long as we are taking maximum or close to it from the next four after that. Said before I'm expecting 12 from next 8 games, though not too worried if marginally lower given better than expected return from Emery's first games.

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

First three of Liverpool, Spurs and local derby of Wolves is probably the toughest restart in the league.

FTFY. Actual run a bit better. There's a bit of an unknown with the first few games for everyone given the break. Without the break I'd say this run would look better, with all three out of form and us on a high.

Leicester listed as 14 for us. They're a much harder game than Palace (9), West Ham (11) and Man Utd (7) IMO.

Right now I'm expecting a win from this. We should beating them at home. There form has improved but so has ours.

Southampton away (17) is much harder than Everton at home (16).

Definitely that table fails to factor in home advantage. If anything our run would look better if it did though I think. Eg. table says us and Brighton have equal runs, but factor in home/away and ours definitely looks better. We've got one more at home and their lower ranked opponents are mostly made harder by being away games.

• Like 1