Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

Outside the top 5, (and ignoring Palace and Forest floating around in no mans land), it's incredibly tight. 3 points across the bottom 6 and 3 points across our group of 6. There is likely to be a bit of a split in both groups before we get to the final run in. We aren't helped by a shit GD, but the gap does mean there are a few proper 6 pointers coming up so should keep things interesting for a while yet. 

I think it's unlikely we will keep such momentum going, but equally a couple of others will likely drop away. 9-10th most likely - anything above that would be incredible.

25 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Id be amazed if we got europe. This squad on paper doesntvlook strong enough for europe for me

I'd argue our 1st team is stronger than Brighton, Brentford's or Fulham's. 

And we are competing with them against the likes of Plop or Chelsea. 

We need to keep our good form and hope for a little bit of luck!

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The gap is small but that's down to our form. 

It would be crazy to expect title challenging form to continue

You know the faces who will be declaring the season has falling away and the manager blew it.

Yes. The ones who blindly backed Gerrard over the "losers" who have won 5 in 7.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Id be amazed if we got europe. This squad on paper doesntvlook strong enough for europe for me

Our form suggests it is possible...Brentford and Brighton are also in great form too!

I do not care whether our squad is strong enough for Europe, the focus from the management will be to get there.

We may fall short but we must be positive, Emery will be saying this too.

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

i agree, were on a great run of form, a run that is probably too good for a club in our position with this squad. It feels very unlikely that we can continue to accumulate points as we have done so Im expecting us to fall away a bit yet.

4 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Looking at recent results we should keep climbing. But we've really been quite lucky in some games and very much saved by Emi. I'd be happy if we average 1.5 points per game for the rest of the season which would give us 55 points. 10th place or thereabouts.

Tbh I’m happy that luck is falling on our side for once, may it continue. You do need a bit of luck on your side in this league.

It's good that we're only 3 points behind. If we manage to get level on points with 1 or more of the teams above us, it only becomes a matter of keeping up with them. It doesn't necessarily mean we'll need to continue with title winning form if they don't.

Fulham are going to be a real pain to beat at Villa Park. Outstanding pressing from them yet again tonight. It's no fluke at all they are comfortable top half.

Pretty much the perfect result though. Above Chelsea with three points tomorrow.

Edited by VillaChris

Might aswell lock this thread tbh.

Just not in the club's DNA these days.

Chelsea draw 0-0 and Liverpool imploding at Wolves and we contrive to defend like that today when we have chance to go above both. It's so Villa.

Can't choke in key weekends of the season like this I'm afraid especially with Man. City and Arsenal up next.

Hope for better in 12 months time but suspect it will be the same old story.