Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

6 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Brentford and Brighton both winning and continuing their fine form will scupper us.

Villa had a great chance to keep up with them today and blew it.

Two tough games coming up, which if we lose them both could see us fall further behind.

After that though there are fifteen winnable games left.

What will we define us more is how we bounce back from games we are expected to win. It’s a bitter pill but I’m confident it will be a blip. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Liverpool will be having a goal difference of -6 very soon when they're losing 3-0 at Brighton and Wolves within a few weeks. They have basically chucked in the league season now.

I can't see us finishing above Brighton now as back to front they are a very good team this season but I can't see why we should just meekly accept finishing below Fulham and Brentford tbh.

Imagine saying that in August when the club aim was to finish top 8.

Our season expectations have greatly changed since start of season though as have been altered by ad dreadful start

Europe was never on the cards when Unai came in

• Like 3

Just now, Zatman said:

Our season expectations have greatly changed since start of season though as have been altered by ad dreadful start

9th-10th still should be though. That's not europe but still shows decent progression in six months.

Brighton are a good example from last season. Had a reasonable start then poor mid season when they lost six straight but in the end finished 9th on 51 points.

That should be realistic ambition for us. There are still 17 games left. Just picking up a point a game from this point matches last season's tally of 45 so surely expectation remains to do better than that?

It's not like we gave Gerrard the length of time Lampard had, we sacked him after 11 games.

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If we can hobble to summer after that Gerrard period >15th, I'd be OK. I think 10th-12th is very realistic. Would I be shocked if we had to scrap and scrabble to stay well and above the relegation fray? I would not. Europe? Hahahahahaha. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

I think a better question is what do people expect a realistic points range to be now?

Last season we limped to 45 points but even something as simple as holding on to the 1-0 v Palace at home and then claiming win v Man. City on final day would've got us to 50 points.

Results like today feels like it will be same again but I don't see why we can't be capable of winning another 7 games this season. Do that with a few draws and you're not far off 55 points.

Get that and you're still within range of Liverpool and Chelsea plus probably Fulham as no one can convince me they're all getting 60 + points this season with how they're playing (Fulham are good but they haven't scored for three league games now so lack of goals if Mitro isn't on it).

5 more wins at VP should be a target to get to 10 for the season and given we've won 3/3 away under Emery so far should be reasonable to expect two more away wins and the odd draw.

2 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Not strengthening in January killed top 7 aspirations. For me I think we will be looking over our shoulder for the rest of the season. It would be a big achievement to get top 12.

But, but we couldn't find anyone in the world that would make the team better in Jan????