Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

54 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I hope Spurs smash Fulham into next week! Why would we want Fulham to win again?  Our chance of a top 10 finish depends on us catching Fulham, Brighton or Brentford.

There is a chance in catching Spurs, why don’t we take it? If it’s top 10 Brentford would be enough to overtake them. But as long as we have a chance for Europe we should play for it. 
Fulham will lose points, but we need Spurs to continue their bad form. 

3 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

There is a chance in catching Spurs, why don’t we take it? If it’s top 10 Brentford would be enough to overtake them. But as long as we have a chance for Europe we should play for it. 

We need to make sure we don't get relegated first according to Sky Sports!

10 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Because we are not going to catch Spurs. We may catch Fulham though. Looking at the table and the upcoming fixtures, it is looking very likely that if we beat Leicester we STILL won't be in the top half. Our poor start is the reason for this.

Hopefully we can finish top 10 and give the top 8 a real go next season. To finish 10th, we do need Fulham, Brentford or Brighton to slip up, but there is plenty of time for that to happen.

2 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

We need to make sure we don't get relegated first according to Sky Sports!

I like the media to think that way right now. Let’s keep winning and let them think what they want. 
A Liverpool fan wrote something yesterday and said (to know how bad Liverpool is doing, look at Villa who sacked their manager for being bad and they’re only a point to Liverpool). 
Most of people just look at the table, they don’t look into details. No one look at our position before Gerrard was sacked. No one think about how a lot of easy points were lost because of Gerrard. But if we can hopefully beat Leicester, we’ll most likely get above one or two teams, they’ll start considering us. 

4 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Because we are not going to catch Spurs. We may catch Fulham though. Looking at the table and the upcoming fixtures, it is looking very likely that if we beat Leicester we STILL won't be in the top half. Our poor start is the reason for this.

Hopefully we can finish top 10 and give the top 8 a real go next season. To finish 10th, we do need Fulham, Brentford or Brighton to slip up, but there is plenty of time for that to happen.

Games are there to be played. We can’t conclude that we can’t catch Spurs. We can’t just say that Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs are all going to wake up soon. Yes they will logically not continue to be as bad, but we can’t just surrender. If we win against Leicester, then we’d have given ourselves a good chance to compete. Wether we do it or not then that’s another case. 
We end our season by playing Spurs and Brighton, wouldn’t we want to atleast play those as a European place deciders? 

4 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I think I largely lie on this side of things, but at some point we have to stop writing off seasons and wasting time.

We're close to the European places (points wise) with Fulham, Brentford, and Brighton to chase down. That's not a forlorn situation. I don't think that they are the type of teams that we need to 'slip up'. They won't be going on any mad winning streaks...we just need to keep largely matching them and beat them when we play them. That'll have us pretty close. 

Chelsea and Liverpool also having stinkers push the chance even further into our sights. Let's go for it!

Just now, May-Z said:

I think I largely lie on this side of things, but at some point we have to stop writing off seasons and wasting time.

We're close to the European places (points wise) with Fulham, Brentford, and Brighton to chase down. That's not a forlorn situation. I don't think that they are the type of teams that we need to 'slip up'. They won't be going on any mad winning streaks...we just need to keep largely matching them and beat them when we play them. That'll have us pretty close. 

Chelsea and Liverpool also having stinkers push the chance even further into our sights. Let's go for it!

Exactly, and as bad as Chelsea and Liverpool doing, it’s Spurs that might stink more. So we hope all three lose points while we try to build momentum and get points.

Fulham to win against Spurs and draw against Chelsea are our best results. 

9 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I like the media to think that way right now. Let’s keep winning and let them think what they want. 
A Liverpool fan wrote something yesterday and said (to know how bad Liverpool is doing, look at Villa who sacked their manager for being bad and they’re only a point to Liverpool). 
Most of people just look at the table, they don’t look into details. No one look at our position before Gerrard was sacked. No one think about how a lot of easy points were lost because of Gerrard. But if we can hopefully beat Leicester, we’ll most likely get above one or two teams, they’ll start considering us. 

Yeah I agree, it's just hilarious. Obv still sore we turned over Man Utd and Spurs

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

I hope Spurs smash Fulham into next week! Why would we want Fulham to win again?  Our chance of a top 10 finish depends on us catching Fulham, Brighton or Brentford.

But our slim chance of top 7 might depend on overtaking Spurs.

11 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

@GlobalVillan

Here is one of them drawing as well (Brentford).

So all teams around us haven’t won. Even Palace and Newcastle (who are looking irrelevant right now) haven’t won.

We have more chance of catching Fulham than Spurs. That's just common sense if you ask me. As for Brentford, we could finish above them as well, making 9th or 10th a real possibility. But there is still a long way to go and we will no doubt suffer some bad results ourselves as we try and build under Emery. I am just being realistic.

7 minutes ago, ender4 said:

But our slim chance of top 7 might depend on overtaking Spurs.

Ah well that's the thing, I don't think we are going to finish in the top 7 this season and so I want Fulham, Brighton and Brentford to lose so that we can get into the top half. 

19 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Yeah it's crap but it's because we are in the bottom half.

I know but still bizarre, we are 11th, 3 points off 6th but 4 points off 12th, it’s so disingenuous by the media. They’d never say Chelsea with the point are now 12 points above the relegation zone, no, they talk about how they are off the CL places…not sixth or even fifth but a team that are 10 points ahead of them in fourth.  They are almost as close to relegation zone as they are CL and while they’d never get relegated, neither are we this season and we are almost four times closer to 6th than the relegation zone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GlobalVillan said:

We have more chance of catching Fulham than Spurs. That's just common sense if you ask me. As for Brentford, we could finish above them as well, making 9th or 10th a real possibility. But there is still a long way to go and we will no doubt suffer some bad results ourselves as we try and build under Emery. I am just being realistic.

Being realistic is good, but surrendering from now and letting 18 games only to fight for a top 10 when 3 of the top 6 are doing bad (which being realistic won’t be the case next season). I don’t think anyone would say Emery is a failure if he didn’t go to Europe, but while we can, fight for it. Hope all results to go our way in that case. Fulham will start losing don’t worry, we just need them to keep their form against Spurs and Chelsea. 😁

The way I see it, Fulham and Spurs will have played a game more than us, it’s either 3 points to Fulham and 8 to Spurs or 6 to Fulham, 5 to Spurs (which our best result) or a draw between them which won’t be the worse.

Pressure is on Conte, will they sack him? How their season is going to go? I’m not sure. Just win against Leicester and hope the gap keeps the same after City and Arsenal.

56 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Look at this crap from Sky Sports about being 11 points above relegation. We are only 3 points off of Brighton for 6th.

D85Vsav.png

I think it’s fair enough when a couple of months ago we were sacking our manager to avoid the drop. That’s the big story of our season so far. If we burst into the top half in the next month then that narrative will change, but it’s an ok narrative for now that Emery came in and saved us comfortably from relegation.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I know but still bizarre, we are 11th, 3 points off 6th but 4 points off 12th, it’s so disingenuous by the media. They’d never say Chelsea with the point are now 12 points above the relegation zone, no, they talk about how they are off the CL places…not sixth or even fifth but a team that are 10 points ahead of them in fourth.  They are almost as close to relegation zone as they are CL and while they’d never get relegated, neither are we this season and we are almost four times closer to 6th than the relegation zone.

In fairness, we are in the bottom half, with a minus 4 goal difference and haven't finished in the top half for more than a decade. Chelsea qualify for Europe every season and won the Champions League 2 years ago. It's up to us to keep winning and change the perception of our club.

Just now, GlobalVillan said:

In fairness, we are in the bottom half, with a minus 4 goal difference and haven't finished in the top half for more than a decade. Chelsea qualify for Europe every season and won the Champions League 2 years ago. It's up to us to keep winning and change the perception of our club.

Yeah fair enough! Also, others not expecting much from us could play to our advantage.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Being realistic is good, but surrendering from now and letting 18 games only to fight for a top 10 when 3 of the top 6 are doing bad (which being realistic won’t be the case next season). I don’t think anyone would say Emery is a failure if he didn’t go to Europe, but while we can, fight for it. Hope all results to go our way in that case. Fulham will start losing don’t worry, we just need them to keep their form against Spurs and Chelsea. 😁

The way I see it, Fulham and Spurs will have played a game more than us, it’s either 3 points to Fulham and 8 to Spurs or 6 to Fulham, 5 to Spurs (which our best result) or a draw between them which won’t be the worse.

Pressure is on Conte, will they sack him? How their season is going to go? I’m not sure. Just win against Leicester and hope the gap keeps the same after City and Arsenal.

I'm not surrendering. I am not on the pitch and have no influence on where we finish. That fact often get's missed on forums. What we say on here makes no difference whatsoever to where we finish. I hope you are right and we do finish in the top 7 but I think that's a fantasy at this stage and I wouldn't want to set myself up for that kind of disappointment when it doesn't happen.

I would absolutely back us to do it in the next few years though.

Edited by GlobalVillan