Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Man City

limpid

Match Polls  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/09/22 at 22:59

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

That is a perfect example of when actually watching a game and understanding how it unfolded and looking at stats can yield very different interpretations. 

I watched the game, the stats just back up what I saw. Most the time the way that game played out we don't score and Man City actually score more than 1. 

We certainly didn't deserve to draw that game but we never will when we play Man City, it's always going to be a smash and grab.

delighted with the result today and if it's a turn around for Gerrard that's fine by me.  But he FINALLY adjusted a line-up and formation and tactic so that they were aligned.  He has not aligned those three well typically and that's why he needs to go UNLESS, he has finally learned.  I'm hopeful that he has, but suspicious that he has not.  I'm curious to find out.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

If I need to be more accurate, a below par performance from Man City today yes defo!

I thought they were disgustingly excellent, however we did brilliantly to stop them from having shots on target. 
I want to give Gerrard the Leicester game to see if we play like a side that wants to go out for the win rather than defend like today. We can’t do that for 32 more games.

Edited by Tayls

Organisation, credit to Gerrard.

Old man Young rolling back the years, thought he was brilliant. My MOTM.

Watkins was also excellent today, held the ball up well and some nice touches. One small error could have been costly though near the end.

Douglas Luiz also a stellar performance, he and Kamara form a nice partnership together.

Hopefully a confidence boosting performance to move forward and up the table.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jones1328 said:

Considering everyone was predicting a 9-0 riot, fair play Villa! Ashley Young was immense. Let's hope this us turning a corner. 

I gave Ash man of the match by a big margin. He's got pace that I thought he had lost, and he's an inspirational leader.

3 minutes ago, macandally said:

I don’t think they are, I think that after 3 wins in 17/18 games they still have a concern about “new dawns”.

Most will give credit and recognise it buys him time, how he uses that is down to him.  The owners would still be negligent if they were not looking at what Plan B might be.

I'm just enjoying the result for tonight. 

• Like 1

Just now, AndyM3000 said:

I watched the game, the stats just back up what I saw. Most the time the way that game played out we don't score and Man City actually score more than 1. 

We certainly didn't deserve to draw that game but we never will when we play Man City, it's always going to be a smash and grab.

We should have scored 2 goals: Couts and Leon but Couts goal is not included in the xG stats as the whistle had gone. Equally, Konsa, not included in the xG stats. Ollie early on too, JJ with the poor first touch. How can u say we play like that and don't score. Believe your eyes and not the stats

• Like 1

People talking about xG, just to put it into context, here are Man City's PL games this season from https://understat.com/league/Premier League:

• Villa 0.28 (1) - (1) 1.92 City
  • City 3.84 (6) - (0) 0.73 Forest
  • City 2.39 (4) - (2) 0.09 Palace
  • Newcastle 2.21 (3) - (3) 3.67 City
  • City 1.69 (4) - (0) 0.12 Bournemouth
  • West Ham 0.25 (0) - (2) 2.59 City

The only team that's done better than us defensively is Bournemouth, who just parked the bus (which we didn't do IMO). And people say Newcastle did a great job, but the margin between the two xG figures is similar to ours.

There's no shame in losing on xG to City. The main thing is that we held it together and grew into a difficult game. Plus we do have a good keeper and some decent quality in front of goal, so you'd expect us to slightly outperform our xG.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, daft said:

Also, this didn't really look like a team playing for a manager they hate. Didn't see all of it due to travel though. 

I have to agree with this. They worked very very hard today. Unlikley they would play like this if he had lost the dressing rokm. It could be they just severely  lacking confidence 

One thing that impresses me about a manager id not hiding when things get tough. Have to absolutely give gerrard that one. Despite his faults he sticks his chest out and tries to turn it around. He certainly did that tonight

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

VAR by the rules couldn't look at it as he blew the whistle BEFORE Coutinho strook the ball. Had it been blown after it had a duty to look at the goal.

As much as that's true, it didn't stop VAR a couple of seasons ago calling a penalty after the referee had blew for full time. 

Sadly VAR is run incorrectly, and referees and linesman in English football are the worst in any league in Europe. 

Just wait for ref watch on Monday morning, gallagher will come out with more defence for the officials. 

The the Premier league will back them or make a rule change like they did. After the digne handball, next game City vs Palace stones handles 3 times but nothing given as rule amended after the **** up on digne handball😡😡😡

Overall I’m pleased with the performance today. Interestingly  thought we improved with cash and Mcginn going off. I have been critical of gerrard for lack of a proper plan but credit today was a performance with a plan in my mind. Although we always seem to put in better performances albeit usually in a plucky defeat against the better sides. What we can’t tolerate is a poor set of performance in the next few games, back to having no plan again. We must use this as a spring board otherwise we will be back to gerrard out again 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Joshie2000 said:

As much as that's true, it didn't stop VAR a couple of seasons ago calling a penalty after the referee had blew for full time. 

Sadly VAR is run incorrectly, and referees and linesman in English football are the worst in any league in Europe. 

Just wait for ref watch on Monday morning, gallagher will come out with more defence for the officials. 

The the Premier league will back them or make a rule change like they did. After the digne handball, next game City vs Palace stones handles 3 times but nothing given as rule amended after the **** up on digne handball😡😡😡

For an infringement that happened before the full time whistle was blown.

Theres nothing wrong with the implementation of VAR here, you can’t just awarding things when the ball wasn’t in play and the players had stopped. The problem in this case is that play shouldn’t have been stopped.

Â