Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Man City

limpid

Match Polls  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/09/22 at 22:59

Perhaps Gerrard has found his style.

Our narrow formation and compact positioning suits perfectly when you don't have much ball, making it that much harder to break us down. It took a superb cross from De Bruyne to undo us - and despite his class I reckon that was a "hope-and-hit".

Perhaps he should change his mind from "we want to be a possession team".

I thought Luiz, Watkins, Young and Martinez were outstanding.

Oh, and to the commentator who said "there are still 10 minutes left for Man City to turn 1 point into 3" - **** you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

His tackle on Haaland really got the crowd going

Not just the tackle... he ran him down, like Haaland was standing still, tackled/muscled him off and came away with the ball. I want to see that clip on the Villa bite sized highlights!

• Like 1

Games against ManCIty, Liverpool and the likes are just very  unsual, strange and not comparable to 85% of the games in the PL, and have no bearing on how we will do going forward. I still expect us to struggle big time next weekend against Leceister. It is just a complete  different game, almost a different sport. One clear conclusion from today is, though, that McGinn should not start. 

Edited by Hughes

16 minutes ago, Hughes said:

Games against ManCIty, Liverpool and the likes are just very  unsual, strange and not comparable to 85% of the games in the PL, and have no bearing on how we will do going forward. I still expect us to struggle big time next weekend against Leceister. It is just a complete  different game, almost a different sport. One clear conclusion from today is, though, that McGinn should not start. 

McGinn should not be a part of this side, he is way past his best. I don’t mean to be cruel but he looks like such an oaf out there, slow and clumsy… he simply has no grace or elegance to his game or movement, such an awkward looking player who seems to be struggling to offer much of a contribution other than trying to get “stuck in”.

It’s kind of sad to see and even more maddening that he has been given the armband… opposition players get away from him easily and he just can’t keep up. He looks like his fitness and energy levels have declined and that’s a killer for a player such as him who relies on those attributes…

We need agile, composed, technically proficient players in this side and that will help us to be better on the ball and control possession. It’s just been too much harrying and long balls which is not at all pleasant to watch nor even effective… we should be playing a technical, high quality passing game…

Just look at at Luiz’s ball to Watkins today… that’s the kind of quality we need and on a more consistent basis.

Maybe the signing of Dendoncker is intended too give us more of that grit, tenacity and ball winning ability (also very much required) and possibly some physicality?

All I see is more and more evidence that McGinn is not needed in this team and is more of a hindrance than a help. Maybe with an extended rest or time out he can come back stronger.

Right now, we must keep Luiz in the side alongside Kamara…

The best system we could go with atm is 4-2-3-1…

I hope this game and the changes bring about about a new, fresh approach that can be more effective for us going forwards..,

Maybe Ramsey can take that LW spot with Bailey at RW. I feel like Watkins and Mings reminded us how important or crucial they are for us…

Buendia/Coutinho ahead of Luiz and Kamara could really work… with Dendoncker as the other option to give us a bit more defensive resilience at the cost of quality on the ball, to suit different games or opposition…

Where does McGinn fit in? I don’t see a spot for him, not in the form he’s been in and he should never have been our captain. There are only two candidates : Martinez & Mings…

I really hope we don’t “revert to type” (as has so often happened) and lessons have been learned…

all I can do is hope…

• Like 3

Well, well, well, quite a curveball this game!  It could definitely be a turning point for our season.  Several of our players seemed to get their 'mojo' back, as it were, during the game itself.  A hopefully invaluable shot in the arm and legs for, in particular, Watkins, Konsa, Ramsay, Bailey and Digne.  In that order.  Incredible what can be done with a functional midfield, non-stupid tactics and the subsequent license it gives our players to play with a mite more consideration and confidence.  That mite, in the ungentlemanly tornado of Premier League football, goes a long way. 

I can only hope the club hierarchy ties up Gerrard and forces him to watch this game on loop all day and all night until he realises what a silly, silly man he's been.

TODAY'S PLAYER RATING (season's average in here)

MARTINEZ 7 (6.83) Perhaps a little flat-footed and irresponsive for their goal.  Otherwise made some strong, though quite standard, saves throughout the game.  Nice to see his trollish side emerge towards the end.

MINGS 8 (7.25) Played throughout with an unflappable assurance and authority.  His tough guy credentials were impeccable today.  Realised he had to 'get to' Haaland and largely succeeded.

KONSA 7 (5.3) Much better from Konsa!  Positionally much improved and playing without the little raincloud over his head that's been dogging him for some time.  Limited passing range still, but hopefully this performance will do him wonders.

CASH 6 (6.16) Largely played during the 'more chasing than an unspayed dog show' chunk of the game and was relatively untroubled.  Still suspicions that he's essentially a bit of a 'basic' player, he's gonna have to step it up in subsequent games.

DIGNE 7 (5.16) An atypically conservative performance reveals he might actually be a capable defender!  Kept it tight and worked hard.

KAMARA 7 (6.33) Obviously needs to play in midfield with his new best mate Douglas Luiz.  A silk boxing glove of a player.

LUIZ 7 (6.5) Obviously needs to play in midfield with his new best mate Boubacar Kamara.  Should get credit for his badgering for the goal too.  A limp midfield and the ball never even reaches Ramsay.  Energy, tenacity, a touch of class, thank god we really didn't need 25 mil.

MCGINN 5 (4.33) It ain't happening for the lad is it?  Got some decent tackles in (although he also shirked or missed a fair few).

RAMSAY 6 (5.16) Absolutely needed that sprint, that jink, that cutback.  Nervous ball control for most of the game, predictably fluffing his big chance, but if that moment can get him back on track then it's value far exceeds the point for the draw.

BAILEY 7 (5.8) Largely irrelevant to the majority of the game it's amazing what a jackhammer strike can do for a performance.  Hopefully, after many a false start, his Villa career properly gets going after his thudding intervention.

WATKINS 7 (5.4) Much more like it!  Never stopped running, had moments of decent link-up play and seemed to regain the edge and endeavour of old as the game went on.  Very nice to see!

YOUNG 8 (8) Excellent!  A wily, battle-hardened veteran's performance.  A club captain's performance you could say.  He dug in, balancing ruggedness and intelligence, and lead by example.

COUTINHO 6 (5) GOAAAAALLLLLLLL!!!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Raymond said:

This thread is wild. We were battered. We got a result based on one great sequence and City not taking their chances. .26 to 2 expected goals. 

I’m happy. We needed the point. But to act like SG finally taking McGinn off and us getting a fluke result was some managerial masterclass is ridiculous. 

"Everybody Loves ......".

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I’m one of the most consistent Gerrard out posters I would say, but there’s no way you can vote that very poor. The team selection was perfect. Mcginn got hooked first also. It’s a small step and you have to give credit where it’s due. Next weeks team will be telling 

True, what you say makes sense, if I voted in the poll now I would up it to average, I cant go higher yet as I am still puzzled at him keeping McGinn in the starting 11 let alone captain, its bound to have a negative influence when your captain is consistantly so bad on the ball.

59 minutes ago, Podster said:

True, what you say makes sense, if I voted in the poll now I would up it to average, I cant go higher yet as I am still puzzled at him keeping McGinn in the starting 11 let alone captain, its bound to have a negative influence when your captain is consistantly so bad on the ball.

True, hooking Mcginn for the first time ever then more consistently hopefully leads to him being on the bench from the start. I’m hoping critchleys pointed out his failings and we move forward from it  

• Like 1

I just got off work and I know I'm 7 hours behind you guys, also I think this isn't the best thread to throw this out there...but I never really rated McGinn.  He is tenacious for sure, but it doesn't resonate with the results we need.  When I saw he was given captain i knew Gerrard might not be our man.  And now McGinn is proving it true.  How can Ramsey get better on a team where he can't learn much from?  I think we beat relegation but do know it is in our future.  I "want" Gerrard to be our guy but I don't think it's in the cards.  I hope I'm wrong, because I want what Viera is doing w/ Palace to be what Stevie can do for us.  Because Palace and Viera look damn good.  

Ashley Young owned Foden.  His performance and confidence was amazing today.  

Watkins I think needs the confidence he had during corona.  He's lost it.  Working hard, mind, but it isn't there.

If McGinn doesn't start who does?  Because not only is McGinn not a captain at our level, he isn't a starter for me.

11 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Here’s a fun fact for you all: since being back in the prem, Villa have now got points from all of the big 6 teams 

Word...but losing to West Ham and Bournmouth this past month doesn't make all that matter, oui?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Django_Zooms said:

"When an immediate goalscoring opportunity is likely to occur, the assistant referee will keep their flag down if they think there is an offside until the passage of play is completed."  Unless that would help Aston Villa. The FA Premier League website.

The interpretation of the rules currently require the linesman to flag if the immediate goal-scoring opportunity has gone and he is clear that the player is offside. He thought a new phase of play had begun when Coutinho came back onto the ball and around the defenders and put his flag up

I think his error was that he believes Ramsey has passed to Coutinho 

A bigger error for me was the first half incident with Konza - definitely no foul on the keeper - ref was far too quick on the whistle - let VAR sort it out

If we can build on this now I think was can work our way up to where we believe we should be

• Like 1

I actually thought that was quite a dull game of football to watch  , city over passing , us trying to stifle them , it was effective all be it as much down to city being wasteful in front of goal … but  it’s a result driven game and compared to other games this season we have to be more than happy with the draw and the commitment shown , Young in particular 

probably saves Gerrard’s job but we need 6 points or more from the next 3 games , if we can do it with some free flowing attacking football then even better 

linesman got it wrong , but I think people are overlooking the fact Citeh stopped playing when the whistle went , keeper doesn’t make any real effort to save the shot.

Â