Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Man City

limpid

Match Polls  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/09/22 at 22:59

1 hour ago, Genie said:

It’s funny cos watching the Sky Sports coverage last night they agreed there was an offside before Coutinho scored.

Then on MOTD this morning they say he was certainly onside.

Sky have a product to protect, hence why they bring out Dermot Gallagher on a Monday to defend the weekend referee cock ups that keep the favoured status quo.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Surely, what u have just said suggests this is not his best? There are lots of managers that take some time to adapt. Just look at Arteta now, Gunners fans wanted him and Edu dragged out of Arsenal last season. There are not too many calling for their heads now

By that logic, why did we sack Smith then?

• Like 2

Just now, Keyblade said:

I wonder how much of it was simply down to the fact that we weren't getting forward as often and spent a lot of time behind the ball due to the nature of our opposition. There really wasn't much opportunity for our midfield too get pulled apart at we've seen so often this season because there wasn't much transition play. We were camped in our own half for most of it.

I thought our transition game worked much better last, probably a lot to do with having another defensive minded player on the pitch not to leave ourselves short at the back.

I thought in the second half we were not pinned back that much either.

I know a game against Man City and Leicester city is a very different proposition but one thing that’s consistent in every game is hard work and application. That should be a minimum requirement. 

One other thing, we grew into the game last night and we became more brave on the ball. We have to do that against Leicester. Get on the ball and make forward passes. Look what happened when Young dispossessed KDB and passed positively into midfield. 

I think a solid base of Kamara and Luiz will help with that! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Great result and we could see the tactics but let's hope the tactics change for other games. I wouldn't want to see us camped in our own half under a deluge of attack every game 

He said after the game, in some games its necessary to go with these tactics, we want our cake and eat it, and we are not good enough, yet, to do that.....we can't keep going gungho, and having no respect for opposing teams. We have to tighten up.

It wasn't a spectacle, but it was effective.....points don't just jump out at us, we have to fight for them, and we did.

It was a massive, shift, in mentality....lead by the evergreen Ashley Young and Tyrone Mings.

I was proud of the boys yesterday.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Shirtman said:

Hats off to Mings. He's been put under unnecessary pressure by his manager, but was immense throughout.

maybe the manager was right then.....He seems a different player to me.....Tyrone is playing the football that got him in the England team.

sometimes a shake up, works.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

maybe the manager was right then.....He seems a different player to me.....Tyrone is playing the football that got him in the England team.

sometimes a shake up, works.

Maybe a word in the Media for Mings performance from Gerrard would have been appreciated.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Much better. Often with Villa we look better against sides in which we are not expected to have much of the ball. In fairness to  Gerrard he got his tactics correct today. We actually had a shape unlike last week's shambles but then again is that easier when you are expect just to be deep and compact?

City on another day could have won the game with the chances they made, though we had a few with Ramsey and Coutinho's on-side goal. City are a good side and I expect them to win the league. I can't see Jack getting much of a run out for them this year but that's isn't my problem. Still doesn't stop me disliking them and what they are doing to the game. They are still just a nothing club.

Young made a difference when he replaced a struggling cash. His tackle on Haaland really got the crowd going. Rolled back the years. 

Hopefully we can take his point and move on but knowing Villa who knows.

It can't always be.....heads you lose, tails you lose.

But it wasn't another day, it was yesterday, and we played a game we had to play, and done it well.

One of the things you have to do when playing a better opponent, is put DOUBT in their mind and we did, we did at Arseanl too, until we succumbed to another piece of suicide defending....Arteta's face, after we scored.

City, didn't win because they wasn't good enough on the day to beat us.....and we could have done with some better touches and better officiating.

some of the things Villa Have been criticised for, we made a better fist of, yesterday.

Lets see, if we can build on it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Maybe a word in the Media for Mings performance from Gerrard would have been appreciated.

Maybe, yeah.

I thought the boy was immense.

• Like 1

Ashley forever Young was the turning point yesterday, what a game for a 37 year old to come out and lead us as club captain with Martinez making a decent captains role when needed. Mings played well up against a big man and looked far more relaxed concentrating on his own game, add to that 30% more effort by most players when they started to believe and watkins forever running gave their defence a torrid time. Have to say it again Ashley Young was the best player on the park.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, onmeedson said:

Ashley forever Young was the turning point yesterday, what a game for a 37 year old to come out and lead us as club captain with Martinez making a decent captains role when needed. Mings played well up against a big man and looked far more relaxed concentrating on his own game, add to that 30% more effort by most players when they started to believe and watkins forever running gave their defence a torrid time. Have to say it again Ashley Young was the best player on the park.

1000% right.

Ashley was that leader, they all gained belief from......He was the Roy Keane, the Patrick Viera.

What a tremendous performance, and it clearly rubbed off....best Game I've seen Dougie play.

It was dogged, it wasn't pretty, but this city team are the best around, what was we expecting to be like the old Barcelona.....It was a magnificient shift in belief, doggedness, commitment and a willingness to compete.

I was actually proud of them.

That was like watching, the old Ron Saunders teams.....for a sheer refusal to be mullered.

• Like 1

Kudos to the 42 people who voted Gerrard's performance on the day to be "average" or below, after a draw with Manchester City. The bias is strong with you 😂

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

Kudos to the 42 people who voted Gerrard's performance on the day to be "average" or below, after a draw with Manchester City. The bias is strong with you 😂

I mean we set up defensively as all teams do against Man C. We played tight and stayed deep allowing them to have the ball the whole game. We had something like 70% passing accuracy and that was pretty much defenders passing other defenders. We had 1 shot on goal and that went in (offside that wasn't an offside not counted).  9 times out of 10 this approach doesn't work against City, but it's the only realistic way that will ever work for a team in our position.

He started but finally took off McGinn and we looked better for it. Young had a great game after coming in due to injury.

But yeah, by Gerrard standards this wasn't average. It was much better than the usual stuff as we didn't leave a massive hole in the middle or on the flanks for once.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Dropping McGinn would really help us…

I wonder… would Ramsey be the right fit for LW?

Bailey RW…

Buendia/Coutinho ahead of the double pivot?

Luiz has to play…

This - by no means am I saying Ramsey is as good, but his strengths are quite comparable to Grealish who thrived off LW.

Surely has to be a 4-2-3-1 now - Luiz and Kamara seem capable enough in the 2 with those LW and RW roles pushing back hard defensively. The 4-2-1-2-1 Gerrard played yesterday basically seemed to be a 4-2-3-1 with extra steps.

Thought it was a really spirited performance by the boys and something which i definitely wasn't expecting. We were disciplined and although city dominated the ball we were able to maintain our shape for the most part and after the first 30 mins and first half, i thought we were able to compete well with them in midfield. our movement and passing was better than in previous games aswell. Obviously there is a huge gulf in class but we showed that we could get something out of the game.

I think the key thing now is we need to build on this and take another step forward, not go back like we do too often. The next 4 fixtures are a great opportunity and we simply have to seize it. I feel like Gerrard needs to get 2/4 wins as a minimum, there is no excuse not to get that with the squad we have. even that would be quite disappointing, and i hope the team can take some confidence from their performance yesterday going into the Leicester game. They are bottom of the league, our mentality has to be we are going there to win.

UTV

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, sne said:

I mean we set up defensively as all teams do against Man C. We played tight and stayed deep allowing them to have the ball the whole game. We had something like 70% passing accuracy and that was pretty much defenders passing other defenders. We had 1 shot on goal and that went in (offside that wasn't an offside not counted).  9 times out of 10 this approach doesn't work against City, but it's the only realistic way that will ever work for a team in our position.

He started but finally took off McGinn and we looked better for it. Young had a great game after coming in due to injury.

But yeah, by Gerrard standards this wasn't average. It was much better than the usual stuff as we didn't leave a massive hole in the middle or on the flanks for once.

Yeah I can see why average would be ok here. He did what any decent manager would have done against Man City and it worked. Did he do something better than the average Premier League manager?  

Of course he was miles better than his own average, but that’s not saying anything useful.

Oh and this is the first Villa match this season I didn’t watch, so I can only go off the match thread, MOTD and general comments on this forum.

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1

Â