Match Thread: LC2: Bolton v Villa

limpid

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Cant believe people  are telling others not go celebrate a goal. Has this how villatalks becoming. Ridiculous 

No-one has to tell me. I find no enjoyment in getting bossed by a League One side and our only reply coming from a complete fluke of a corner kick.

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I can see luiz and McGinn are too wide. Why the effing hell can’t the guy who is paid £5/6million by Aston Villa football club?

its baffling, hopefully it will change in the second half but I was watching the center circle that half, we simply do not contest the center of midfield.

Our midfielders are too busy going to cover the full backs, who are playing as line hugging wingers. 

Why cant we just play full backs as full backs and central midfielders as central midfielders? I just dont get it.

• Like 3

Mcginn off Tim on switch Tim next to kamara and put doug in the middle.

Watch how we suddenly keep the ball, marvel at passes to our own players and gasp as we make chances to score.

Or just carry on kick and rush with fingers crossed for a freak goal and them missing the 4 good chances they will invariably get 

• Like 3

Tonight was the perfect chance to ditch this utterly pathetic formation and try something else. 

But no, let's keep on playing it when it clearly don't work along with our captain who is as pathetic as the formation. 

I've never hated a manager at this club as much as I do Gerrard, I honestly hope we lose so the away fans turn on him and hasten the process of removing him from our club.

• Like 1

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

We haven’t dominated Man City for a while. We went two goals up from very good counter attacks but we absolutely did not dominate them in that last game.

We played much better against them in the home fixture, early in Gerrard's tenure.

I think the closest we ever got to them was the game at the Etihad with the ridiculous Mings VAR decision. We were legitimately going toe to toe with them for much of it.

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think the Captaincy has actually had the opposite effect of what it was meant to, on McGinn

Definitely lol, I mean he wasn’t the best passer last season but this season he’s dogshit. I hate that this is happening to him because I’ve always liked the lad.

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I love and have always defend McGinn, but it's almost Impossible to anymore.

How has he gotten so bad? Something not right!

He worked in a counter attacking Dean Smith side. Really effectively. He shields, spins, moves the ball quickly to a player wide who has isolated a fullback on his heels. He gets aggressive and in the face of players when they’re not sure who to pass to.

He’s the anti-Pirlo, and we’re trying to control the football

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Has the " pre season " we needed, actually made us worse? 😕

Anyway, some slight signs that we got some sort of calm and confidence from the goal, but still worrying.

The kids might actually have been better 

To be fair to Bolton, they have been dogged and their keeper has been good 

Not on the corner.😂

Remember when people used to support their team?

Remember when fans appreciated that a game of football is a sport which can go either way?

Remember when it was the very unpredictability of the game that made it exciting?

I swear online football support depresses the hell out of me. It's 1-1 in a cup game. Just enjoy it for what it is rather than just moaning and trying to outdo each others pessimism for 90 minutes

And I know I'm gonna get abuse for this post but Christ it's tiring and I hope I haven't offended anyone 

• Like 3

Just now, ciggiesnbeer said:

its baffling, hopefully it will change in the second half but I was watching the center circle that half, we simply do not contest the center of midfield.

Our midfielders are too busy going to cover the full backs, who are playing as line hugging wingers. 

Why cant we just play full backs as full backs and central midfielders as central midfielders? I just dont get it.

Cos Gerrard thinks he's a Pep or Klopp when in reality he's a bloody Scouse Neil effing Lennon!!

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Has the " pre season " we needed, actually made us worse? 😕

Anyway, some slight signs that we got some sort of calm and confidence from the goal, but still worrying.

The kids might actually have been better 

To be fair to Bolton, they have been dogged and their keeper has been good 

I think the intention is to try and right some wrongs with a strong team but they look nervous and devoid of ideas. Worrying considering the players out there on paper 🤔

It's not even a strong Bolton line-up, I had a look on their forum before the game and they were fearing the worse because of how many changes they've made and how weak their midfield selection is for this game.

These match threads can have some over the top reactions, but that really was poor from us, really should be dominating a game like this it's not just a League One side, it's a weakened League One side, but we can barely string more than a couple of passes together.

Front three not working, need some creativity between the midfield and attack, maybe Buendia coming one would be a good idea, Ramsey as well to give us some drive in the midfield.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Not sure what to make of it.

In the three areas:

We still look weak at the back - Digne has had his third poor game of the season and his obvious understudy isn't even on the bench. Mings is holding this line together.

In midfield, the shape is still wrong, Doug needs to be deeper alongside Kamara, McGinn can play in front of them but someone needs to take one of his cookies away every time he tries a long Holywood diagonal. It would be interesting to see Ramsey there in the second half, but what I'd really like to see it Kamara and a new midfielder behind Luiz.

Up front, Watkins gets in behind defences in the corners, Ings has some knowhow around the box and Coutinho is capable of opening up defences - none of them are really doing that and they look like this is the first time they've ever met.

I think we'll win, we're more than a match for Bolton. 

But then they are a league one side.

We're going to get battered by Arsenal and Man City - the West Ham game is Gerrard's job.

Yep we have more than enough to beat these but not because of how we are playing it’s just we have significantly better players although we are doing our damn best to screw it up.  I don’t expect us to win 5-0 but after the rubbish we’ve had to put up with for some time we should still be able to win this.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

We played much better against them in the home fixture, early in Gerrard's tenure.

I think the closest we ever got to them was the game at the Etihad with the ridiculous Mings VAR decision. We were legitimately going toe to toe with them for much of it.

Yes you’re right my bad. I forgot about that game when Bertie made KDB sit on his arse. 

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

It's much more than that. 

When do you see nearly an entire squad out of form?

It was happening under Deano too. 5 games lost without hardly a fight. I'm telling you, there's some bad eggs at this club and their attitude is toxic.

• Like 1