Straw Poll: Gerrard In or Out?

Marka Ragnos

Straw Poll: Gerrard In or Out?  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Straw Poll (Aug. 2022): Gerrard In or Out?

46 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

What have we done in the last dozen years that suggest that the bar should be a lot higher?  We are certainly more ambitious now but we have failed to reach a top half finish  since 2011, and haven't been in Europe since 2010. If we come 13/14th again I don't think the board would be that happy but I think they would give him another season at least.

Edit- got my years wrong.

This has been my argument the last few years but then we went and sacked Dean Smith when he had the first sign of not progressing. There was no second chance, no patience to see if he'd come through it. We jumped at the opportunity to bring in Gerrard. 

So surely with that and then the big investments in Janaury and this summer the expectation has to change. 

If he doesn't get us into the top half and challenging for Europe then what was the point in sacking Smith?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yep last manager waa criticized for not getting to Europe in our 2nd season since promotion.

Now the new manager with a better squad with a blank wage budget and with lots of Champions League experience and some potential World Cup winners, plus a so called born winner himself. A lower half position seems acceptable. Bizarre

Yep. This for me is one of the most ridiculous things on here. 

Many felt that 55 pts and 11th place wasn't good enough 2nd season back in the prem. When in reality it's quite clear that it was just about not liking the manager. Which many of those posters now seem to throw at people regarding Gerrard. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

Quite, it felt like we sacked Deano because we didn't want to wait for him to learn the lessons he needed to - and then replaced him with someone in exactly the same predicament. 

How can you learn a lesson of who you are?

SG has a profile in football, Dean could not emulate.....players want to be with Great football people, SG is learning his trade, you can't learn to be famous.

The only way Dean could have trumped SG's ability to attract high profile players, is to win trophies and thats catch 22.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

SG has a profile in football, Dean could not emulate.....players want to be with Great football people, SG is learning his trade, you can't learn to be famous.

The only way Dean could have trumped SG's ability to attract high profile players, it to win trophies and thats catch 22.

That is some bullshit. Just admit like with Bruce you are impressed by his big name in football and not his actual achievements

Better players than Gerrard became failed managers and didnt atrract big names

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yet you thought we were rounded enough 2 seasons ago to get Europe with Nakamba, Barkley and Trez playing that still got 55 points. 

Don’t forget Gresford, it’s hard to overestimate the difference he made for us. 

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

The only way Dean could have trumped SG's ability to attract high profile players, it to win trophies and thats catch 22.

Like who? 

Coutinho is the only one really and that's based on a previous relationship not Gerrard being a big name. 

Leon Bailey? Danny Ings? Getting Buendia to turn down arsenal. Pretty big names IMO. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

Hallelujah.

rest assured, if we don't win sufficient games, and the trajectory is doubtful/questionable.....my stance may well change.

I've never once in his time here called for Gerrard to be sacked. 

Not sure why you're surprised. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

It's not about who you are, it's what you can do. Also, by 'lessons learnt' I meant coaching at the highest level and implementing successful tactics. I don't care what a manager has done in the game as a player. Having a high profile can be an added bonus but it is not the foundation that a successful managerial career is built one - It is knowledge and the ability to convey it while you teach and develop players.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Nobody wants Roy Keane as their manager and he’s ten times the winner Gerrard is. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

@nick76 it’s leaning a lot more towards in now although most of the In’s are caveated.

From now until break will decide if he gets the rest of the season or not  IMO.

Yeah seems a pretty solid 2/3rds in and 1/3rd out on current trend.

I'm actually surprised the ins are so many based on how the threads go.

However it appears alot of people who don't post and probably just can't be arsed with the drama voted.

• Like 2