Straw Poll: Gerrard In or Out?

Marka Ragnos

Straw Poll: Gerrard In or Out?  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Straw Poll (Aug. 2022): Gerrard In or Out?

To be fair this thread might be interesting to monitor to see how opinions on him being sacked or not will change as the season goes on.

The debate on the manager himself has been done to death in Gerrard thread but sacked or not sacked is interesting to see. 

Im pleasantly surprised the majority don’t want him sacked even if have doubts about him. That’s probably where I am too.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

He needs to get 9 points from the next 5 games to retain my support.  

Or at least 7 but with us playing fantastic tactical football.

Not an easy set of fixtures. I'd be happy with 5 from 5 but with some good tactical performances.

• Like 1

I've seen nothing from him to suggest that he has the tactical nous and managerial ability to get us into, or even near, european qualification. If the aim of the club is to get to that level then, yes, I feel he should be removed and a candidate more likely to succeed put in his place. However, I'm no longer sure the club is that worried about Europe and as long as we are safe midtable, I think Gerrard will remain safe as well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

You really think we can get Europe? I’m thinking it’s going to be a hell of a challenge to get top half and I’m not confident.  Europe is a distant dream for me, think I have more chance of winning the lottery than us getting a European place.

Ah yeah but should probably finish above United 😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Im pleasantly surprised the majority don’t want him sacked even if have doubts about him. That’s probably where I am too.

Not by much at the moment 35/22 which around 60%/40%, that to me says a lot.  

2 games into the season after a win yet a large amount say he goes and a lot in the comments who have voted ‘In’ have caveated it.

Not exactly confidence in the manager

3 minutes ago, picicata said:

I've seen nothing from him to suggest that he has the tactical nous and managerial ability to get us into, or even near, european qualification. If the aim of the club is to get to that level then, yes, I feel he should be removed and a candidate more likely to succeed put in his place. However, I'm no longer sure the club is that worried about Europe and as long as we are safe midtable, I think Gerrard will remain safe as well.

Good point. It depends on if we have serious European aspirations. If not, he's perfectly fine to stay on. We pretty consistently beat the relegation candidates under him.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, picicata said:

WOW spot on 👏👏 

Just wish we would stop signing managers still learning there trade. We are, an never have been a club to do some on the job learning. We need a manager with experience, who will hit the ground running and have the respect from the players due to knowledge of the game. Whether we can get him or not, we need someone like Poch, an before Manchester sack Van taag and bring him in.

Can you imagine Gerrard getting European football or top 8, he would be touted a genius, better than Klopp. I would prefer a manager to get us top 8 and be thinking, well yes, It was expected with his experience.

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is closer than I thought it would be.

The polarisation is real!

It's interesting for some reason for me to see the factions when you see them all grouped together, partly because I'm too dull-minded to remember who's who and who said what. There are some super long-time Villa Talkers in both camps, I see, some of the very earliest.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

It's incredible how nearly two-thirds of voters are in, yet 80% of posts on this board are out. Goes to show what the driving force behind expressing an opinion usually is. 😂

Its normal. Some fans are just obsessed with him and never will accept him. Ignore them, Villa fans and the club will.

No crazy anti Gerrard screed will make a difference. Just results. Most regular fans will just keep supporting the team and manager until results go badly then they wont.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

It's interesting for some reason for me to see the factions when you see them all grouped together, partly because I'm too dull-minded to remember who's who and who said what. There are some super long-time Villa Talkers in both camps, I see, some of the very earliest.  

What do you class as long time Villa Talker?

Sort of insane that this is even being discussed.  Last season didn't end great, and the Bournemouth loss was horrendous...  but let's give the man some time... especially now that one of his big signings is more or less done for the year.  That's not his fault.  I'm interested to see what SG/Lange etc decide to do over these next two weeks.  Regardless, I'm backing SG and the project unless it becomes painfully obvious that we need to go another avenue.  I think stability at a club is important.

• Like 1