Straw Poll: Gerrard In or Out?

Marka Ragnos

Straw Poll: Gerrard In or Out?  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Straw Poll (Aug. 2022): Gerrard In or Out?

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Sorry Nick, thats doesn't co-relate.

you say we have everything almost spot on...but these Owners who have most things right, don't get the manager right, is that what you are saying? you think a professional outfit like NSWE relied soley on a flashy name, come on Nick, you are better than that.

They will give him the time to prove, whether, he was the right choice or not.....and we jusy have to see.

I don't think the owners had much of a say. I think they've employed purslow and trust him to make the big decisions. 

I think it's quite clear that Purslow believes Gerrard is the next big thing in management and wanted him before another club jumped at the opportunity. 

We'll see if he's right. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Keane, Gary Neville, Shearer, Ince to name just a few we’re great ex players, all very driven but all poor managers

Again you are just blaming the players. I’ve acknowledged all that in the past but coaching isn’t there how to play together, we don’t have cohesion, we don’t have a way of playing, players don’t seem to be ready for plays.  If it was one or two players but it’s the whole team struggling with this.  

That’s coaching!  

Individual mistakes of course are happening but over the whole game you can see the coaching isn’t up to the level it should be.

I have already said.....it takes many, many attributes to be a good manager, not just one....but being a driven individual is a pretty darn important one.

but those individual mistakes have been having a profound impact on our results.

I am not saying you are wrong about the coaching.....but I am simply not sure, we have a new coach, without a pre season, it will take time.

Look the one thing, I do agree with, is managers have to take responsibility for results.....now that encompases a plethora of criteria.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

you say we have everything almost spot on...but these Owners who have most things right, don't get the manager right, is that what you are saying? you think a professional outfit like NSWE relied soley on a flashy name, come on Nick, you are better than that.

Why? Not everybody get things right, that’s life.  Gerrard is a big name from a football point of view, Purslow had a relationship with him and probably pushing in that direction, they want to enhance the profile of the club and Gerrard had just won the Scottish title.  It was a great hire from a profile point of view which was very attractive to them.  I guess that’s why they took the option.  Can’t argue with any of that can you?

Football management ability? They took a massive gamble

So they plumped for a flashy name as I said.

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm just disagreeing with the hypocrisy you've shown over the last 12 months. 

The fact you've done a full 180 turn on certain things simply because Dean Smith is no longer manager is embarrassing. 

I think you are the same...you need a mirror.

so What.

Edited by TRO

His style of football is boring, the results have been average at best, and for the life of me I can't work out the systems he is attempting to install. 

I'm ready for him to go but I know it's to early to pull the trigger on his dismissal. So I wait....

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm just disagreeing with the hypocrisy you've shown over the last 12 months. 

The fact you've done a full 180 turn on certain things simply because Dean Smith is no longer manager is embarrassing. 

Have to slightly disagree DC.

You guys seem more hung up on trying to discredit everything TRO says, simply because of his alleged  " Blind support for Bruce ", than actually focusing on his points.

Ironically, in reverse, a set of fans are hung up on discrediting everything re Gerrard, due to being hung up on Dean Smith?

How long can we actually use that as a beating stick?

I don't think TRO blindly supports any manager truth be told.

You guys are also conveniently constantly overlooking the factual differences between the 2 reigns, which whenever brought up, are then broken down into petty points.

Dean Smith was here 3 years, Gerrard has been here 9 months, I think this is the overwhelming donkey in the room.

Steven Gerrard progress or lack of cannot be compared to Dean Smith getting us promoted from the Championship. We had an embarrassingly strong squad, and that is no discredit to Deano. It is a totally different level under different circumstances.

A more favourable comparison is the best season points total Deano got with the 55 points. SG hasn't even had the opportunity to fail on that front yet either.

Performances and eye gauges aside, his ppg was 9th, factually, regardless of what we view as bad decision making, selections and performances etc 

Until he gets the total opportunity to fail, this is all semantics and opinions.

We are two game into his first proper season as Manager. One beyond woeful performance, and one decent performance.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Why? Not everybody get things right, that’s life.  Gerrard is a big name from a football point of view, Purslow had a relationship with him and probably pushing in that direction, they want to enhance the profile of the club and Gerrard had just won the Scottish title.  It was a great hire from a profile point of view which was very attractive to them.  I guess that’s why they took the option.  Can’t argue with any of that can you?

Football management ability? They took a massive gamble

So they plumped for a flashy name as I said.

Of course they did, but I suspect much ground was covered in a allegedly 5 hour interview......However, your reference to his name, seems derogatory....I would think it was central to their appointment to get a high profile name, and that has been vindicated in the recruitment, but still to find its way on to the pitch, granted.

They must have recognised, it was difficult to get to the next level, with a manager, who had never even played there...no disrespect to Dean, but that is the modern day players perception.

I am not in their ( hierarchy)heads, but I would assume much more than a flashy name took their fancy.

Edited by TRO

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You guys seem more hung up on trying to discredit everything TRO says, simply because of his alleged  " Blind support for Bruce ", than actually focusing on his points.

Ironically, in reverse, a set of fans are hung up on discrediting everything re Gerrard, due to being hung up on Dena Smith?

You guys are also conveniently constantly overlooking the factual differences between the 2 reigns, which whenever brought up, are then broken down into petty points.

Dean Smith was here 3 years, Gerrard has been here 9 months, I think this is the overwhelming donkey in the room.

Steven Gerrard progress or lack of cannot be compared to Dean Smith getting us promoted from the Championship. We had an embarassingky strong squad, and that is no discredit to Deano. It is a totally different level under different circumstances.

A more favourable comparison is the best season points total Deano got with the 55 points. SG hasn't even had the opportunity to fail on that front yet either.

Performances and eye gauges aside, his ppg was 9th, factually, regardless of what we view as bad decision making, selections and performances etc 

Until he gets the total opportunity to fail, this is all semantics and opinions.

We are two game into his first proper season as Manager. One beyond woeful performance, and one decent performance.

Correct....I support Aston Villa, but while our managers are in the job, I will support them too.

Thanks JV....perspective personified.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

Of course they did, but I suspect much ground was covered in a allegedly 5 hour interview......However, your reference to his name, seems derogatory....I would think it was central to their appointment to get a high profile name, and that has been vindicated in the recruitment, but still to find its way on to the pitch, granted.

His high profile name is from a different skill set 

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

They must have recognised, it was difficult to get to the next level, with a manager, who had never even played there...no disrespect to Dean, but that is the modern day players perception.

Sorry this is total rubbish, some of best managers aren’t elite footballers, some are.  It’s a poor argument, sorry!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

Correct....I support Aston Villa, but while our managers are in the job, I will support them too.

Awkward!

giphy.gif

Just now, nick76 said:

Awkward!

giphy.gif

Not really, there is a difference between  " Blind support " and supporting the Manager of the club you support, until you don't anymore?

" Blind support " suggests you support regardless of circumstances and reason.

I'm also in the supporting the Manager and club until it's untenable camp. lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

His high profile name is from a different skill set 

Sorry this is total rubbish, some of best managers aren’t elite footballers, some are.  It’s a poor argument, sorry!

I didn't say they have to be, some make their name as managers .....but a high profile name is what attracts them.

SG is still WIP as far as his reputation as a manager is concerned, so he relies on his playing days to attract top players.

Its their perception, Nick, not mine.....so its not rubbish at all.....its quite pertinent

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not really, there is a difference between  " Blind support " and supporting the Manager of the club you support, until you don't anymore?

He said while the manager is in the job…..his words not mine!

Edited by nick76

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

He said while the manager is in the job…..his words not mine!

Semantics time, now Nick?

I call Gyles Brandreth as my first witness.

Yeah, That means, when the club, pull the plug, ( They will know more than me about goings on) I will go with the flow.

Edited by TRO

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Like he did with Bruce 😉😂

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Semantics time, now Nick?

I call Gyles Brandreth as my first witness.

Yeah, That means, when the club, pull the plug, ( They will know more than me about goings on) I will go with the flow.

So you follow blindly?  

That’s what you are saying?  

It’s not semantics, it’s literally what you are saying.  

You follow exactly what the club choose to do, it’s the definition of following blindly than based on your own assessment.

Thats all I’m saying. @JAMAICAN-VILLAN said you don’t follow blindly but you’ve just confirmed you just follow whatever the club  do because they know more than you…thus you are following blindly.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Ironically, in reverse, a set of fans are hung up on discrediting everything re Gerrard, due to being hung up on Dean Smith?

Steven Gerrard progress or lack of cannot be compared to Dean Smith getting us promoted from the Championship. We had an embarrassingly strong squad, and that is no discredit to Deano. It is a totally different level under different circumstances.

No I don't think he blindly supports, but I do find it strange that he was so critical of Smith yet fully behind Bruce and now Gerrard. 

I think comparing the time they've had is a bit pointless as I said to TRO previously. For one Smith achieved everything he had to and more those first few years. No one was saying let's wait 3 years and see what happens. 

Gerrard was brought in to take us to the next level. There's a handful of fans who demanded so much from the last manager, yet now talk about lowering expectations or no can be negative or critical. 

I've never called for Gerrard to be sacked. I've said multiple times I'm prepared to give him time. I just think it's mad how some have completely changed simply because the man in charge is no longer called Dean Smith. And I wouldn't have too much of an issue with it, if those same people weren't calling others out for being negative. 

• Like 3

I don't like him. I don't respect him. There's no warmth with him. There's nothing to cling onto. He has no personality. He isn't really a coach in a world where major football sides are coached to within an inch of their life by the top guy. His football is wank. His outlook on players is archaic. 

Aye. Keep him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I don't like him. I don't respect him. There's no warmth with him. There's nothing to cling onto. He has no personality. He isn't really a coach in a world where major football sides are coached to within an inch of their life by the top guy. His football is wank. His outlook on players is archaic. 

Aye. Keep him.

So Youre Telling Me Theres A Chance GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY