Straw Poll: Gerrard In or Out?

Marka Ragnos

Straw Poll: Gerrard In or Out?  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Straw Poll (Aug. 2022): Gerrard In or Out?

29 minutes ago, Dillon66 said:

Can we rename this poll to ;

'Am I a fickle end of a bell who's forgotten where this club was in July 2018 and don't trust our owners to appoint the right manager.'

Yes / No / Maybe

....mate.

By this logic, Smith shouldn't have been sacked. The owners aren't infallible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dillon66 said:

'Am I a fickle end of a bell who's forgotten where this club was in July 2018 and don't trust our owners to appoint the right manager.'

Yes / No / Maybe

....mate.

What a load of grade A bollocks. Fans with differing opinions on a message board shock. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

You really think we can get Europe? I’m thinking it’s going to be a hell of a challenge to get top half and I’m not confident.  Europe is a distant dream for me, think I have more chance of winning the lottery than us getting a European place.

I agree with that Nick.

but I have a different rationale to you, for feeling, Europe is beyond this team, right now.

Carlos, was a terribly unlucky scenario....but that leaves Kamara, as the only first team player, come in, in what is deemed as the Prime window....That has really surprised me.

So far, of course.....but I am far from enamoured with the links.

I don't know how anyone, can seriously expect European football on that basis, club and all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dillon66 said:

Yes / No / Maybe

....mate.

How long do we continue that mentality for then? Next season will we be saying yeah but remember 2018? No. Everyone’s improving, look at the signings wolves have made with a very good manager. Brighton will finish above us this season. Newcastle I would say as well as palace. But we can’t be critical because of 2018? No chance. 

20 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

How long do we continue that mentality for then? Next season will we be saying yeah but remember 2018? No. Everyone’s improving, look at the signings wolves have made with a very good manager. Brighton will finish above us this season. Newcastle I would say as well as palace. But we can’t be critical because of 2018? No chance. 

I take your point, but I also think people fail to recognise that the likes of Brighton, even Brentford have been building slowly and consistently for a LONG time, very well run clubs.

I remember at one point, it was looking like Southampton and even Sunderland would be the next clubs to be very successful with that method. Both made crucial mistakes which basically killed their progress.

Wolves have the obvious connection.

In our case, we were an absolute shambles when we went down, got taken over by nutters and scattershot with owners , personell and Managers.

This will be our 3/4th season back, yet we are still struggling to shift players from that era.

The likes of Brighton, Brentford etc have known their expectations and fans will all have been on board and patient with a slow build.

Building a strong and stable foundation and building with continuity in small increments. This allows them to use the PL money to make larger and larger steps forward on their foundation.

I feel like in many ways we have always gone about it the wrong way and are now trying to address that. It won't happen over night but I can almost guarantee that we will eventually be stronger than all those clubs.

Money and resources doesn't always equal success.

I feel like at points, instead of building upwards and correctly we've been trying to place crown jewels in shite.

Look to Man U for the best example of this.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

I have serious concerns about his management....

... but still voted "In".

He needs more time to succeed/fail this season before we can consider if he should stay or go. Another 10 games, perhaps.

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I take your point, but I also think people fail to recognise that the likes of Brighton, even Brentford have been building slowly and consistently for a LONG time, very well run clubs.

I remember at one point, it was looking like Southampton and even Sunderland would be the next clubs to be very successful with that method. Both made crucial mistakes which basically killed their progress.

Wolves have the obvious connection.

In our case, we were an absolute shambles when we went down, got taken over by nutters and scattershot with owners , personell and Managers.

This will be our 3/4th season back, yet we are still struggling to shift players from that era.

The likes of Brighton, Brentford etc have known their expectations and fans will all have been on board and patient with a slow build.

Building a strong and stable foundation and building with continuity in small increments. This allows them to use the PL money to make larger and larger steps forward on their foundation.

I feel like in many ways we have always gone about it the wrong way and are now trying to address that. It won't happen over night but I can almost guarantee that we will eventually be stronger than all those clubs.

Money and resources doesn't always equal success.

I feel like at points, instead of building upwards and correctly we've been trying to place crown jewels in shite.

Look to Man U for the best example of this.

Agree with everything you’re saying, but I don’t think Gerrards the manager who’s going to move us forward. I would be on board with it if I could genuinely say in the time he’s been here we’ve been improving, even if it was slowly. 5-10 games and we’ll be able to judge more fairly but our fixtures aren’t great. I don’t want to be in October and we’re clinging onto one or two good performances.  

3 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Agree with everything you’re saying, but I don’t think Gerrards the manager who’s going to move us forward. I would be on board with it if I could genuinely say in the time he’s been here we’ve been improving, even if it was slowly. 5-10 games and we’ll be able to judge more fairly but our fixtures aren’t great. I don’t want to be in October and we’re clinging onto one or two good performances.  

Out of likes but fair play.

Also, even before SG came here I always liked Potter and rated Brighton.

Watched quite a few of their games last season and season before.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Out of likes but fair play.

Also, even before SG came here I always liked Potter and rated Brighton.

Watched quite a few of their games last season and season before.

It doesn’t help how Brighton have lost their two best players and look the same, wolves have signed brilliant players, palace have improved, Brentford win games and the fact that Howes doing so well at Newcastle. It could be premature but with all our uncertainty I think it’s silly for us to look anywhere near 8th. 

Edited by IrishVilla10

3 hours ago, Dillon66 said:

Yes / No / Maybe

....mate.

Exactly. It's just a shame their last infallible appointment, Dean Smith, tragically died so young to vacate the position.

I do suspect the decision making on hiring managers will largely be delegated to Christian Purslow, the man who appointed Roy Hodgson at Liverpool.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

Would I honestly sack Gerrard right now? No. That's a bit extreme.

Do I think he's really going to turn things around though, take us forward and convince me to back him fully? Not at all. 

So... 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

I'm in the "bit too early for this vote" camp. Had we lost against Everton I would likely have felt differently but I saw enough to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. 

I really hope it works in one way, in another I can't help but feel if it does work it'll merely be a case of he'll be off to Liverpool sooner rather than later and then we are left high & dry again with yet another new manager situation which could of course at that point destroy everything he had built regardless. 

If it doesn't work then I guess it gives us the chance to try our luck with a top manager to handle a squad full of Brazillian, French & Argentinian internationals. In some ways you can't help but think we may as well take the plunge right now rather than wait for the inevitable Liverpool situation to rear it's head.

I think though there is not much option but to stick with it for now and maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised! 

• Like 1