Straw Poll: Gerrard In or Out?

Marka Ragnos

Straw Poll: Gerrard In or Out?  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Straw Poll (Aug. 2022): Gerrard In or Out?

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I'd say if all Villa fans were polled it'd be like 80% stay 20% out.

We have a special group of perma negative fans here. It makes sense as if you want to rant a forum is a great place to do that

It's been like it for years and years. Being a villa fan felt super negative when MON was finishing 6th. 

Last season left a lot to be desired. I was pretty hopeful early pre season as it seems we were prepared with the new signings.

So far this season, two games in and nothing has changed. We were diabolical vs Bournemouth and were the better of two poor sides v Everton. Even then we tried our best to throw it away. 

The overall team structure is concerning, better teams control play, they have width and have variation to their play. Our style of play is fast breaks, this hasn't changed since Smith left. If a team sits deep our outlets are our wing backs aimlessly crossing to Ings/Watkins. If we had a Benteke, then this is not so bad but their profiles as strikers don't support this.

As Bournemouth showed, and Everton if their finishing was better is that we are then very prone to counter attacks.

On top of that every set piece we defend is verging on a defensive crisis.

It's only 2 games in but this needs to improve asap. I don't see any difference from DS post Grealish and we've had further investment. It's the same style, same mistakes but we've signed proven quality where we should expect better.

I'm very happy with Kamara signing, Chambers was a steal too but the other recruitment can be questionable and will be questioned unless we demonstrate top 10 form. Signing players such as Digne, Coutinho etc have no long term value and we need results in the first 10-15 games of the season. We shall see...

If I had to decide one way or the other right now, I'd probably say out. But given a "shake it all about" third option, I'll be waiting to see how the Palace game goes. 

He lost me totally against Bournemouth, and Everton didn't really win me back.  Didnt give me any real confidence he'd learnt from his mistakes.  He's still got a long way to go to convince me he understands what team we should play, but time to do that is running out fast.

43 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It's been like it for years and years. Being a villa fan felt super negative when MON was finishing 6th. 

Very valid point.

MON used to drive me up the walls, even though we were doing relatively well. lol

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

VP felt super negative when we were finishing 6th regularly, let alone on here! We didn’t know how good we had it!

In (for now).

I don’t like him, never have and never will. Just can’t stand him. I wish he wasn’t our manager. I don’t like his managerial style and I don’t like his aimless featureless football. I don’t have faith that he will use the players we have effectively and my prediction is for as long as he is our manager we will never finish in the top half. He is Lambert and Bruce combined.  

I’ve already mentally prepared to write off this season as a wasted opportunity. That’s not to say I won’t enjoy us winning a few games when the players bail his crap tactics out and paper over the cracks. We won’t go down (barring something going catastrophically wrong) so he has the same amount of time as RDM for me (10 games I think) so Stevie G has 8 games left for me.

If he exceeds my expectations then that’s good for Villa, I suspect he won’t though because he is a shit manager and is completely out of his depth. 

But sacking him now or anytime within 10 games is totally unjustified unless we lose every game from Palace until then.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

Yeah I don't rate him either or think that he will get us anywhere close to where we want to be. But sacking him now would pretty much be admitting that they've made a mistake by not replacing him in the summer.

He's not really done anything to reserve the sack, on the other hand he's not done anything to show he deserves the job. At Villa or before.

He will get until the WC break most likely, and maybe he will get it right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

In. Ridiculous question at this stage. 

The poll current result suggests it’s not a ridiculous question with 77 people, over 35% saying Gerrard Out.  That’s not a majority but suggests it’s not a ridiculous question to a lot of fans.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

The poll current result suggests it’s not a ridiculous question with 77 people, over 35% saying Gerrard Out.  That’s not a majority but suggests it’s not a ridiculous question to a lot of fans.

It’s absolutely not - there are genuine concern as to whether he can take us to where we wish to be. I haven’t seen anything to suggest he can - he is no better than that clown Bruce, other than having a well deserved reputation as a player.

Eddie Howe was the man for the Job imo 

36 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah I don't rate him either or think that he will get us anywhere close to where we want to be. But sacking him now would pretty much be admitting that they've made a mistake by not replacing him in the summer.

He's not really done anything to reserve the sack, on the other hand he's not done anything to show he deserves the job. At Villa or before.

He will get until the WC break most likely, and maybe he will get it right.

Yeah he doesn't deserve to be sacked, but it's a matter of time really. Likely a long time, seeing as it would take the board some time to come to terms with the fact that they got it wrong given that I don't think we'll go on a 5 game losing streak or something that would jolt them into action. Plod along for another year, finish midtable...there might be an assessment then.

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

In. Ridiculous question at this stage. 

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

The OP agrees with you both, actually. I feel it is a silly question, but it's also a silly question some very committed and non-silly supporters are asking and making fairly elaborate and intelligent arguments to articulate -- which makes it kind of a real issue, for me. 

giphy.gif 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

4 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

The OP agrees with you both, actually. I feel it is a silly question, but it's also a silly question some very committed and non-silly supporters are asking and making fairly elaborate and intelligent arguments to articulate -- which makes it kind of a real issue, for me. 

giphy.gif 

The only silliness is not in the question but the situation we are in that causes the question to be asked and getting the response it has.

• Thanks 1

If I were Gerrard, I’d feel pretty damn good about the poll results. It was never going to be >90% positive after finishing 14th.

If anything, if you ask me, it actually reflects really well on supporters in general at VillaTalk. It shows they’re willing to look past some pretty massive recent setbacks on faith and still generally get behind him. There’s an amazing lack of cynicism, overall. You can’t call us negative. Sorry. No way. 

I think he should count his blessings, and get us some more wins, because I can see this poll result collapsing very quickly if he doesn’t. My 2 pence. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

12 hours ago, nick76 said:

It is an utterly ridiculous question. Don’t mistake an echo chamber for a genuine reasoned argument for a manager to be despatched. Quite frankly, it’s embarrassing. 

8 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

It is an utterly ridiculous question. Don’t mistake an echo chamber for a genuine reasoned argument for a manager to be despatched. Quite frankly, it’s embarrassing. 

To you it maybe a ridiculous question but to many it’s not a ridiculous question.  Even the ‘Ins’ have quite a few caveating it in the comment section.  

I also can’t agree this is an echo chamber because from my experience in and around the ground, friends, local pubs in the area and other forums I follow it’s fairly similar discussion around is Gerrard the right man to take us forward, do we stick with him or get rid now save wasting the season, do we give him more time and if so how long, what needs to happen to improve, why aren’t things clicking, do we need more players that will help his system, how do we get consistency.  These are common discussions and just like this poll there are people on both sides of the discussion but the negatives are definitely not a small minority.

As I said to the other poster it’s not a silly question it is silly we are in this position that the discussion is being had.  You may think it’s ridiculous but it’s being discussed honestly on a wider audience by hardcore villa fans in the wider community, so there is something in it.  Hopefully it will go away with a strong performance today and a run of good performances.

• Like 1