Straw Poll: Gerrard In or Out?

Marka Ragnos

Straw Poll: Gerrard In or Out?  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Straw Poll (Aug. 2022): Gerrard In or Out?

I disagree with you utterly and entirely. I really can’t be bothered to even have a discussion about it because we could play amazingly well today and lose and the same people will be sniping again at the manager. At the same time, we could play shit and win 3-0 and the same people will be more than happy to highlight our inadequacies. 

Roll on the final whistle. As long as we win I don’t really care.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DakotaVilla said:

I disagree with you utterly and entirely. I really can’t be bothered to even have a discussion about it because we could play amazingly well today and lose and the same people will be sniping again at the manager. At the same time, we could play shit and win 3-0 and the same people will be more than happy to highlight our inadequacies. 

You disagree that the communities I detailed aren’t talking about it? Well given I’m in those communities day in and day out, I can tell you they are.

Fine if you don’t want to discuss it, kinds of defeats the purpose of this thread and the forum and what the Villa community are discussing at the moment not only in this thread but other threads on this forum and why it’s been talked about outside this forum.

4 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

What is your reasonable expectation for this season?

Sorry to jump in,

but I think this is part of the problem, a top 10 finish this season would have been adequate for me but all of the noise out of the club is a top 7 finish.

that’s not going to happen after the way we have started, their adding unnecessary pressure on to themselves.

15 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

I want good consistent performances.  I want to see cohesion between the players, that Gerrard gets at least some of the players playing well.  We have some great attacking talent but they currently look like they haven’t played together.  We get flashes but not sufficient.

In terms of league placing I hope for 10th, I don’t think we are good enough for a European place as we are missing a few players and we aren’t consistent enough.  I think a minimum of 50 points is a reasonable target.

I’m not convinced Gerrard will get us any of that at the moment.  My target wanted to be 60 points but I realised that was very unlikely a month or so ago during preseason specially without more investment so I dropped to 10th as a hope.  My worry though is even that looks a challenge.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I want good consistent performances.  I want to see cohesion between the players, that Gerrard gets at least some of the players playing well.  We have some great attacking talent but they currently look like they haven’t played together.  We get flashes but not sufficient.

In terms of league placing I hope for 10th, I don’t think we are good enough for a European place as we are missing a few players and we aren’t consistent enough.  I think a minimum of 50 points is a reasonable target.

I’m not convinced Gerrard will get us any of that at the moment.  My target wanted to be 60 points but I realised that was very unlikely a month or so ago during preseason specially without more investment so I dropped to 10th as a hope.  My worry though is even that looks a challenge.

I agree with 10th as a very reasonable expectation. I hope we will be better though.

Have faith, the points and performances will come and will hopefully exceed both our expectations.

1 hour ago, MellbergsBeard said:

that’s not going to happen after the way we have started, their adding unnecessary pressure on to themselves.

It’s two games in 😂

Not like we’ve lost seven of our first 11.

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

If we win I’m happy. If we play well I’m happy. We could win the Prem and champions league and I’d be ecstatic  I still don’t like Gerrard. I just don’t like him. It doesn’t mean I want Villa to lose. I’d love to be happy with our manager but I’m not going to let that stop me from enjoying when we win. 

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

To you it maybe a ridiculous question but to many it’s not a ridiculous question.  Even the ‘Ins’ have quite a few caveating it in the comment section.  

I also can’t agree this is an echo chamber because from my experience in and around the ground, friends, local pubs in the area and other forums I follow it’s fairly similar discussion around is Gerrard the right man to take us forward, do we stick with him or get rid now save wasting the season, do we give him more time and if so how long, what needs to happen to improve, why aren’t things clicking, do we need more players that will help his system, how do we get consistency.  These are common discussions and just like this poll there are people on both sides of the discussion but the negatives are definitely not a small minority.

As I said to the other poster it’s not a silly question it is silly we are in this position that the discussion is being had.  You may think it’s ridiculous but it’s being discussed honestly on a wider audience by hardcore villa fans in the wider community, so there is something in it.  Hopefully it will go away with a strong performance today and a run of good performances.

From a small community of Villa fans I know of about 7 mainly from a fan club, I think one is on the fence about Gerrard and the rest think he is shit

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, jim said:

It’s two games in 😂

Not like we’ve lost seven of our first 11.

we have lost 7 of our last 13 though picking up a disgraceful 13 points

Yes last season does count

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

since the last manager got sacked for getting 55 points I am expecting this alleged upgrade to at least hit 60 points

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Do points from last season carry over into this one?

well the performances were shit back end of last season, same as this season, its definitely fair to compare. A well run club would have sacked him at the end of the season

People used to slam Sherwood based on the Southampton game an FA Cup final and that was the season before. Why does this manager get so much rope compared to others?

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This Bollox again. Deep down you know bloody well this isn't the total picture, but carry on as it suits. 🤦🏿‍♂️

well if its because the last manager had a bad 2021

This manager has had an equally bad 2022

Double standards

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

well the performances were shit back end of last season, same as this season, its definitely fair to compare. A well run club would have sacked him at the end of the season

People used to slam Sherwood based on the Southampton game an FA Cup final and that was the season before. Why does this manager get so much rope compared to others?

Does he really?   I’ve havent seen a manager so disliked so soon since Di Matteo.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa