Straw Poll: Gerrard In or Out?

Marka Ragnos

Straw Poll: Gerrard In or Out?  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Straw Poll (Aug. 2022): Gerrard In or Out?

Depends on who we might replace him with.  If we could interest someone like Pochetino then it's out for me.  When we recruited Gerrard my thoughts were Meh!.  He was a big name but totally unproven as a coach (I don't count winning a one a and a half horse race in Scotland as proven).  But I decided to keep an open mind and give him a chance.  The plusses are he helped us to attract some sought after players like Diego Carlos and Kamara, as well as Coutinho - I'm not sure the latter was such a good idea though - and has raised our profile.  Not really enough though is it?   I can't say I've seen any improvement in style of play, creativity, defensive solidity or an overall game plan.  In some areas we've gone backwards.  He doesn't seem to know what his best 11 is, keeps picking Coutinho over Buendia when it's obvious to a blind man that the latter is way more effective,  and has handed the captaincy to a player who many feel should not even be first choice.  He seems to have frozen out or fallen out with some players and possibly caused some rifts in the dressing room.  He doesn't seem keen on giving youngsters like KK-H and Iroegbunam much of a chance in the first team and his transfer policy seems to be to mostly target experienced players at the older end of the scale.  The latter is a lot like what Ron Atkinson and Steve Bruce used to do.  It worked for Atkinson for a while, but Bruce had no tactics and just relied on the experienced player to "do something special".  To me Gerrard's approach resembles Bruce's at times.  The narrow formation and over reliance on the FBs for width isn't great to watch and is easily exploited.  The coaching and tactics seem naive and inflexible.   I think if we don't see significant signs of progress after 12-15 games then Purslow has to ask himself some serious questions about his mate.        

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah seems a pretty solid 2/3rds in and 1/3rd out on current trend.

I'm actually surprised the ins are so many based on how the threads go.

However it appears alot of people who don't post and probably just can't be arsed with the drama voted.

Tbf fair a lot aren’t convinced with Gerrard but appreciate it wouldn't really make sense to sack a manager after 2 games in to the season and he should have more time.  Then you have those that feel they have seen enough and the club are just wasting time keeping him around. 

52 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

@nick76 it’s leaning a lot more towards in now although most of the In’s are caveated.

From now until break will decide if he gets the rest of the season or not  IMO.

Still a third ‘Out’ (61/120) which surprises me.

I really want him to do well, I know my comments don’t portray that but I really do.  If he’s successful then Villa are and that’s all I care about.  

I didn’t even watch his presser today because he’s so good at media but it’s all just words now, I want to see action on the pitch not just words in the press conferences.

• Like 1

I voted out as however players play they always seem to be on the teamsheet the following week, we have no style of play, we play with no width it’s just turgid football, was lucky to get all 3 points against Everton as they can have easily had equalised in the last few minutes 

44 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

However it appears alot of people who don't post and probably just can't be arsed with the drama voted.

It seems more that many who voted ‘In’ have caveated it in the comment section.

19 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I really want him to do well, I know my comments don’t portray that but I really do.  If he’s successful then Villa are and that’s all I care about.  

I didn’t even watch his presser today because he’s so good at media but it’s all just words now, I want to see action on the pitch not just words in the press conferences.

I wouldn't consider sacking any manager so early into the season, but the talk of him being amazing at press conferences baffles me. As far as I can see he churns out a few of the old cliches and gets really defensive when questioned on specifics.

12 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I wouldn't consider sacking any manager so early into the season, but the talk of him being amazing at press conferences baffles me. As far as I can see he churns out a few of the old cliches and gets really defensive when questioned on specifics.

I guess amazing is the wrong word.  He says the right things, is articulate and well trained in media aspects.  

I agree that we are starting to see the narky defensive side.  My mate just sent me the clip of him biting back about Buendia starting and him snipping back about Bailey.

5 hours ago, Dillon66 said:

Nothing wrong at all with constructive criticism, don't think for one minute I'm some happy clapper. I was as pissed off as anyone with the tail off in performances over the second half of last season, but after 2 games of a new season ?....really ?.

For me it’s been pre season and an abysmal performance against Bournemouth. Tomorrow will be a good marker but things need to take shape very quickly if they’re going too because our next fixtures aren’t easy 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Like who? 

Coutinho is the only one really and that's based on a previous relationship not Gerrard being a big name. 

Leon Bailey? Danny Ings? Getting Buendia to turn down arsenal. Pretty big names IMO. 

and how do you think he got that relationship?

well the 3 are still to establish themselves with us, and pull up trees......I don't think DS would have got Kamara, or Carlos, but I could be wrong.....but the whole comparison is tedious.

SG is our manager, like it or lump it and The club was happy to get him......I suspect they have a rationale attached to that.

11 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Too soon and we're coming off a win

Exactly. Clearly Purslow has sent this guy in here to start a poll just after the Everton Win. Where was he after the Bournemouth loss?

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

I suspect they have a rationale attached to that.

Well I hope they share it one day because the fans aren’t seeing it.  Just looks like friendship/relationship and a risky gamble on a rookie manager whose got a big name as a player, not because of his coaching.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

We all want to see results Nick, its that ,that matters.

I have no idea, who could bring us success, if we got rid. I hear pochetino, but there is absolutely no evidence that he could succeed.

Even Conte who has worked wonders has been given the latitude to spend and he has spent well, and introduced a physicality, that Spurs have rarely been associated with.....He has changed Spurs, as has Thomas Frank at Brentford, and Eddie Howe at Newcastle

Where, I do agree, with some of the SG derogatories, is in some ways (Physicality, and the ability to be hard to beat) hasn't changed from Deans Tenure.....despite a different style, I still see many of the flaws, from previous....and that does surprise me, I have to say.

I am still in favour of giving him more time.....but as for the teams  shape and personnel and subsequently tactics, I am not convinced, yet.

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Well I hope they share it one day because the fans aren’t seeing it.  Just looks like friendship/relationship and a risky gamble on a rookie manager whose got a big name as a player, not because of his coaching.

I think that is a bit disingenuous.....He knows SG for sure, and that helps, but SG's Character is universally known.

I have to say, I am surprised somewhat, that his character has nor been able to find its way on to the pitch......I am not convinced in what I am watching, in terms of consistency...the first 74 minutes against City was encouraging and the first hlf against Spurs was the best we have played......Then we engage in Kamikaze football.

We are very much a jekyll and Hyde team, who can be sublime one minute and ridiculous the next....what causes that, I am unsure, I have my suspicions, but thats all they are.

I still think certain players we have get bullied too easily, without much response and subsequently, there normal game is negated.

I don't think its all coaching, I think recruitment has been questionable in the recent past.

Thats why I am still Gerrard IN.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I have no idea, who could bring us success, if we got rid. I hear pochetino, but there is absolutely no evidence that he could succeed.

It was the same when they got rid of Smith, why the hell did they pick Gerrard? There is even less evidence than Poch that he could succeed but they pulled the plug on Smith anyway.  

Letting Smith go was the right thing if we brought in the next level manager but all we did is bring in somebody because of their playing name, not the coaching experience and it’s biting us in the bum now. On the pitch we are no different now than 12 months ago, in some ways we’ve regressed.  Gerrard is a popular figure in the media and some Villa fans are starstruck by him but so far, as a manager for us on the pitch, there is no substance.

Yes somebody like Poch is a risk but he has so much more evidence of the type of manager he is, and if not him there was others out there we could’ve hired but it still baffles me we went for a rookie manager because of a relationship? a playing name? Limited time at one of the big two in Scotland? Not seeing anything to show he’s the next level up from Smith who was sacked for literally the same level of performances and results Gerrard has been delivering for months and seems to be getting worse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think the margin would be greater, in the ground.