FC Barcelona

Villaphan04

21 hours ago, villa4europe said:

thats what i mean, a short term answer to their long term problems off the pitch, they're not even trying to fix their long term problems which given they have 2 or 3 of the best U21 players in europe is stupid

they make so many bad decisions in the transfer market to keep the revenue going and to also permanently go all in on a "win now" mode to coin an american sport phrase

all they're really doing is kicking the can down the road

This reminds me of my favourite Mullah Nasruddin story, about teaching the horse to sing (apologies for butchering it to those who know it better):

'Nasruddin did something to anger the King, and was taken to the palace where he was put in a cell with another inmate. One morning, the guards came to the cell, grabbed Nasruddin, and took him before the King, who sentenced him to death. 'Wait!', said Nasruddin. 'You're making a big mistake, for I'm the best teacher in the whole land. Why, I could even teach your favourite horse to sing, if given a year!' The King was amused, so he said 'okay Nasruddin, you've got one year. If the horse can't sing by then, we'll think of something interesting to do to you'. Nasruddin was taken back to his cell, and his cellmate said 'Now you've done it. There's no way you can teach a horse to sing!' To which Nasruddin replied, 'Not at all. This morning I was dead, but now I'm alive for another year, and a lot may happen in a year. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die. And you never know, the horse might sing'. 

Sorry for that little indulgence, but anyway the point being that Barcelona are well into 'the horse might sing' territory these days. Once you're completely **** whatever you do, 'kicking the can down the road' is pretty much the optimal strategy - you never know, something might come up. Nasruddin's mistake wasn't promising to teach the horse to sing ('fixing his long term problems'), it was annoying the King in the first place, and similarly Barca are just choosing from a menu of bad options at this point; their real mistake was overspending in the past and once they made it they were pretty much screwed whatever they did. Now they need to keep making the bad decisions in the transfer market because they've sold a large proportion of their future media rights revenue to pay for current expenditure, so they literally can't afford to not buy players they think will get them CL football. The 'prudent financial decisions' option became unavailable quite some time ago now. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

If it was anyone other than Xavi, would he have been sacked by now? 

They are three points off the top having only lost once this season (to the current European champions).

I wish we were doing as terribly as them. 

11 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Bloody hell, where would they be this season without Lewandowski I wonder? Just got a 93rd minute winner at Valencia. 

The Europa League?  Oh. Right.  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Leaving on his terms before they make him the bad guy for having to large a contract.

He'll run for Barca President in future. 

Either that or he'll end up in jail. Or both.

20 hours ago, Zatman said:

One of the most overrated players can think of. Without Puyol or Ramos by his side he was very average

102 caps for Spain and Puyol himself called him the "best defender in the world"...

Some guy on the Villa forum: "vErY AVerAgE". 

Never change Zat.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

102 caps for Spain and Puyol himself called him the "best defender in the world"...

Some guy on the Villa forum: "vErY AVerAgE". 

Never change Zat.

Puyol is not going to criticise his mate and say he is shit

Pique was a good passer and a decent reader of the game thats it, weak in nearly every other aspect of the defensive game

Centre backs get better with age but he has declined. No coincidence

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/11/2022 at 06:11, Rds1983 said:

Leaving on his terms

Not sure this quite worked out.

He was on the bench for his final game and got sent off before he even came on.

His last words as a footballer were "I shit on your prostitute mother"

• Haha 1

This club is like my Championship manager 98-99 game where I had a first 11 with the likes Ronaldo and Zidane then a reserve squad of Giggs , Figo ect. The Barca president definitely used the add manager options when he was 12.

Just now, duke313 said:

Surely FFP will be alleviated slightly without Pique's £500,000 a week wages on the books now?

In a year it will.  FFP works on the past years.

Â