FC Barcelona

Villaphan04

Or even just direct selling TV streaming rights through their own media channels. 

If teams could cut out the ‘middle man’ like BT Sport or Sky Sports and sell their matches directly to the public via ‘Barcelona TV’ their revenue would increase astronomically. It’s the model the US sports are adopting. 

45 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Or even just direct selling TV streaming rights through their own media channels. 

If teams could cut out the ‘middle man’ like BT Sport or Sky Sports and sell their matches directly to the public via ‘Barcelona TV’ their revenue would increase astronomically. It’s the model the US sports are adopting. 

The big teams would, but would the smaller teams be worse off?

Its a big reason why the PL is so competitive and successful top to bottom, even the minnows of the league get a huge pay day.

Comparing how sport works in the US compared to in the civilized world is almost pointless.

Closed leagues, drafts, salary caps, movable franchises instead of clubs with history and so on and so on.

I'm sure once we get the Super league the clubs will be able to have individual streaming rights along with whatever the league has. Having it in a proper league would kill it even more.

I don’t think Barcelona would be particularly worried about how it would affect teams at the bottom of the pyramid. In Spain the big two already take a much bigger share of the TV rights (more in line with the size of audience they draw, compared with the more distributed TV money in the U.K.).

If they could sell directly and keep it all they would be one of the richest clubs in the world. 

7 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I don’t think Barcelona would be particularly worried about how it would affect teams at the bottom of the pyramid. In Spain the big two already take a much bigger share of the TV rights (more in line with the size of audience they draw, compared with the more distributed TV money in the U.K.).

If they could sell directly and keep it all they would be one of the richest clubs in the world. 

I'm sure they would not care, no.

If they could harvest the bone marrow from orphans and sell what they don't use to treat their player I'm sure they would do that too. 

8 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The same would be true here for United, City, Chelsea etc. They would get a bigger slice of the pie, and widen the gap to the mid and bottom of the table. win/win from their point of view.

This is why the PL is so much better, it’s out of their hands, everyone gets the same slice (give or take). 

8 hours ago, Genie said:

The same would be true here for United, City, Chelsea etc. They would get a bigger slice of the pie, and widen the gap to the mid and bottom of the table. win/win from their point of view.

This is why the PL is so much better, it’s out of their hands, everyone gets the same slice (give or take). 

But it seems to be getting less and less competitive each season. Always the same top sides and City basically have a monopoly on the title with 4 out of the last 5 titles and they've now signed Haaland. How long will that stay interesting? 

City also got about £60m more competition money than Norwich did last year. It gets less even all the time and is only going one way. 

Edited by Rds1983

Just now, Rds1983 said:

But it seems to be getting less and less competitive each season. Always the same top sides and City basically have a monopoly on the title with 4 out of the last 5 titles and they've now signed Haaland. How long will that stay interesting? 

Brighton beat United last week, Brentford this week. Liverpool held by Fulham last week.

Allowing the bigger clubs to sell their own TV rights would all but kill any upsets. It’s not just more money for them, it’s less for the others.

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Brighton beat United last week, Brentford this week. Liverpool held by Fulham last week.

Allowing the bigger clubs to sell their own TV rights would all but kill any upsets. It’s not just more money for them, it’s less for the others.

Upsets are getting rarer. City and Liverpool will end probably up with 100 odd points this year. 

17 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Upsets are getting rarer. City and Liverpool will end probably up with 100 odd points this year. 

So you think the big / rich clubs getting more money and the poorer / small clubs getting less money will make the league more competitive?

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

So you think the big / rich clubs getting more money and the poorer / small clubs getting less money will make the league more competitive?

Not what I'm saying. 

I'm saying the Premier League is already broken and is only getting worse. 

Might be better than a lot of leagues but if nothing changes it won't be soon. 

12 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Fascinated to see how Lewandowski gets on. I think La Liga will prove a much tougher league than the Bundesliga. But I still expect him to score a good few.

Did they get them all registered in the end?

Still being held to 0-0 at home to Rayo, although to be fair it’s a bit of a miracle they haven’t scored. 

De Jong actually came on as a sub, which is almost surreal after everything. Playing quite well, too, putting a proper shift in for a club determined to get rid of him by any means. 

2 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Still being held to 0-0 at home to Rayo, although to be fair it’s a bit of a miracle they haven’t scored. 

De Jong actually came on as a sub, which is almost surreal after everything. Playing quite well, too, putting a proper shift in for a club determined to get rid of him by any means. 

They probably put him on so the fans could boo and jeer him.

On 13/08/2022 at 20:47, MachoFantastico said:

Fascinated to see how Lewandowski gets on. I think La Liga will prove a much tougher league than the Bundesliga. But I still expect him to score a good few.

Bayern are already looking better without him, as an example of when losing a prolific striker frees up the rest of the team. I expect Barcelona to try and sell him within a year.

Â