Ludwig Augustinsson

HalfTimePost

I don’t actually think he was that bad. He wasn’t good, don’t get me wrong, but I can’t remember him being any worse than Chambers or Konsa…?

Obviously not good enough to be a starter but this is a left back on loan who we won’t sign permanently I don’t imagine. 

Not too put out by him. Olsen on the other hand..

• Like 4

History suggested I would like more Swedish players at villa.

These 2 are proving me wrong. Backups are supposed to be able to challenge or at least decently deputise for your first choice. Neither Augustionsson or Olsen are at that level based on what we have seen. So begs the question was the reason we signed them financially it's all we could afford? That's the only excuse I can see for them being here.

12 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

History suggested I would like more Swedish players at villa.

These 2 are proving me wrong. Backups are supposed to be able to challenge or at least decently deputise for your first choice. Neither Augustionsson or Olsen are at that level based on what we have seen. So begs the question was the reason we signed them financially it's all we could afford? That's the only excuse I can see for them being here.

Signing a backup of equal or similar quality to your first choice is near impossible unless you're prepared to pay over the odds in wages like City do.  What left-back in his prime and as good as Digne is gonna come here and sit on the bench?  Augustinsson clearly isn't good enough, but we probably didn't have many options, it's either that or a youth player who will sit on the bench and wait for his chance or an old-timer looking a few more years at the top like Young.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, sne said:

Sweden national side really is an absolute mess thanks in no small part to Janne Andersson who keeps picking players who are not playing in their club sides and who rates seniority over anything else.

Is Janne Andersson the Swedish translation of Martin O’Neill?

27 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Signing a backup of equal or similar quality to your first choice is near impossible unless you're prepared to pay over the odds in wages like City do.  What left-back in his prime and as good as Digne is gonna come here and sit on the bench?  Augustinsson clearly isn't good enough, but we probably didn't have many options, it's either that or a youth player who will sit on the bench and wait for his chance or an old-timer looking a few more years at the top like Young.

Signing backs-ups with equal quality can also affect players confidence, for example signing ings when we had watkins seems to only have caused issues for both of them, one is not match fit, neither seem comfortable.

Augustinsson was a cheap gamble who doesnt seem the have worked out, the situation is by no means a catastrophe 

1 minute ago, Chicken Field said:

Signing backs-ups with equal quality can also affect players confidence, for example signing ings when we had watkins seems to only have caused issues for both of them, one is not match fit, neither seem comfortable.

Augustinsson was a cheap gamble who doesnt seem the have worked out, the situation is by no means a catastrophe 

Certainly not a catastrophe, it's only a loan after all.  But we were never going to get another quality left back after signing one for £25m in January.

I don't think we signed Ings as a backup, the intention I think was to use both him and Watkins, which we haven't really been able to thus far. 

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I didn't think he was that bad - just looked like a player who hasn't played that much.

Exactly. 

Really unfair to judge him when not match fit, he needs these games to get there.

Rotation is the best way to go for me.

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Earwig out

But seriously we need to be looking at better players than this. He just looked like a lump. It was like watching the swedish aly cissokho

That’s the issue with getting backup players. Just use youngsters or bring prospects, no good players will want to come and know they’re a banch players.

3 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

That’s the issue with getting backup players. Just use youngsters or bring prospects, no good players will want to come and know they’re a banch players.

100%.  Either young prospects, or older players like Young.  The chance are if we sign a player in his late 20s as a backup, he's not very good.

No decent player in his prime is coming to us to sit on the bench.  Only teams like City get away with that as they overpay wages and have multiple cup games the players know they will get some games in.

Edited by duke313

Â