Should I Just Whip My Hair Off?

alreadyexists

I still have a full head of hair with no noticable signs of that changing any time soon, and I come from a long line of non-baldies on both sides of the family. Only my paternal grandfather was (is, actually, his severly demented mind is clinging on to life still) bald. Well, combover bald, anyway. And he was younger than I am now when he started losing his hair.

If and when the hairline starts receeding slightly, as it no doubt will at some point, I think I’ll be fairly relaxed about it and embrace it or just go even shorter than I already do. I already do skin fade sides into short on top, occassionally even buzz cut top, so it’s not as if it’ll make any drastic difference to my appearance. 

On a related note, though, my hair seems to be going darker somehow. I’ve always been a light blond, but recently I’ve had dark hairs, black almost, appear, like when other people find grey hairs. Has anyone else had the same? 

I am 35 and was going bald and just got fed up a whipped it all off! I used to look in the mirror before and get really self conscious about how shit it looked now I don't have any of that and people keep telling me how much it suits me so I say go for it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bickster said:

DId the milkman have hair?

If it wasn't for the picture of my dad in his youth that I found where he looks exactly like me I'd be asking this question myself!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

On the opposite end of the scale, nobody in my family is bald. I have 30 cousins on my mom's side and none of the males are bald. None of my uncles are bald.

My dad was 72 when he died and he still had a pretty good head of hair, despite several rounds of chemotherapy.

Grandad 94 when he died, almost a full head of hair (some thinning but come on he was 94). Other grandad died in his 80s, full head of hair.

Me? Balding at 22. Cool cheers.

Stevo was this your best mate in your teens?

Screenshot_20220607-172601_Chrome.jpg

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Scalp Micropigmentation. (Basically a tattoo on your head). One of the best things I ever did.

I did see that, so they tattoo the little dots on so it looks like you’ve shaved your head? The only thing I thought is that will it look weird when I’m 60 or 70, and I’ve still got a full head of black hair follicles…? It does seem like a good option though. I assume you also have to get the gaps filled in if you carry on balding?

I went in to the office for the first time since the clippers yesterday, a couple of people noticed but not in a bad way… so that was nice!

21 hours ago, Bizzzle said:

I am 35 and was going bald and just got fed up a whipped it all off! I used to look in the mirror before and get really self conscious about how shit it looked now I don't have any of that and people keep telling me how much it suits me so I say go for it!

Cheers bizzle!

• Like 1

On 31/05/2022 at 17:58, alreadyexists said:

Hi all,

I’m 37 and my crown is thinning quite badly, my hairline isn’t receding too badly but the bald spot on the crown is pretty thin… long story short, should I just whip my hair off and go for a number 3 on the clippers all over? Or would it look worse? I don’t really want to bic it or shave close to the scalp, so I was thinking number 3 or 5 would look better.

Any help or advice is appreciated!

Do it.

You will be surprised how quickly it grows back if you don't like it.

Do be aware that short hair comes with scalp maintenance what you are saving on shampoo should be spent on scalp conditioning - or else your head will end up in a spotty mess !!!

I shave mine around once a week - Obviously I rather not be bald but  now I hate it when my hair starts to grow - I prefer the clean - bald and proud look. I also think the only way to look good bald is to make sure the rest of yourself is intact - hit the gym and keep fit.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I did see that, so they tattoo the little dots on so it looks like you’ve shaved your head? The only thing I thought is that will it look weird when I’m 60 or 70, and I’ve still got a full head of black hair follicles…? It does seem like a good option though. I assume you also have to get the gaps filled in if you carry on balding?

I went in to the office for the first time since the clippers yesterday, a couple of people noticed but not in a bad way… so that was nice!

Pretty much yeh; looks like grade 0 all over from choice rather than because lost your hair.

To be honest it sort of fades so you need to top it up every few years but it’s relatively cheap if use the same company.  When you’re 60/70 it will just look like you still have your hair but keep a shaved head.   In my case I had lost most my hair on top so used to shave my head already . Now I still shave my head but I still have a hair line!  It’s amazing how many compliments I’ve had by women about how straight my hairline is lol. 

If you’re interested mate DM me and I’ll tell you who I used.

edit: sounds like you still have a lot of hair though so probably don’t need to go down this route yet.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Thanks 1

On 01/06/2022 at 17:01, El Zen said:

On a related note, though, my hair seems to be going darker somehow. I’ve always been a light blond, but recently I’ve had dark hairs, black almost, appear, like when other people find grey hairs. Has anyone else had the same? 

Yep, I was as blond as could be as a kid and it gradually got darker and darker, and now I'm seeing this weird greyish colour creeping in, although I'm sure it's only temporary and nothing to worry about.  Also had the will I won't I whip it all off discussion with myself years ago and am delighted I did. I'm now frankly gorgeous.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I noticed yesterday I was rapidly greying at the temples. Which on the plus side, I guess, means a Dr Strange cosplay is much easier if I don't just take the lot off eventually.

brody-drstrange.jpg

I decided to get in on this VT trend and gave myself a number 1 all over, on impulse more than anything.

After the third smartarse at work asked "so you've had a haircut?", I answered with a long pause and "actually, it's a health thing...."

Clarifying that it was a joke was somewhat awkward :blush:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 31/05/2022 at 19:32, leemond2008 said:

Also, I picked one of these up during the last black Friday, normally £119 and it was reduced to £80 and I had £45 Amazon vouchers from work (can't remember the reason for them giving us them) anyways, I paid £35 for these and I bloody love them.

Skull Shaver Pitbull Gold PRO Men’s Electric Head and Face Shaver - Electric Razor for Head and Face (USB Charger) : Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care

Skull Shaver Pitbull Gold Shaver for sale online | eBay

How good are these? I've wanted to buy some better clippers or one like the above but they aren't cheap and I like it as short as possible. Can't exactly test these things out and return them 😆

14 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

How good are these? I've wanted to buy some better clippers or one like the above but they aren't cheap and I like it as short as possible. Can't exactly test these things out and return them 😆

they are brilliant, I had a pair before that were only £30 and they were more than adequate, you aren't going to get any closer unless you take a razor to your bonce, I'd highly recommend the pitbulls if you can get a pair for around £80, I got an absolute bargain at just having to pay £35 for mine.

These are the ones I had before (unavailable now) and they worked a treat, they didn't get quite as close as the pitbulls when have a wet shave but they were still really good, only paid around £30 for them and they lasted two years so you could just get a cheap set and see how you get on if you haven't used skull shavers before.

I would just be mindful though, they aren't clippers, and it doesn't make your hair "short" they are for the baldest of baldies

super convenient as well, takes 90 seconds to shave me bonce and 30 seconds to clean it.

• Like 1

Â