Should I Just Whip My Hair Off?

alreadyexists

12 hours ago, ender4 said:

Hair transplant could be an option if you’re self conscious about losing your hair.

Lads I work with have gone down this route , been to Turkey for it, looks good but the first month after the op looked a bit sore.

Another option is a derma roller and Minoxidil, some people swear by it. I shaved mine off years ago.

The trauma of losing your hair is not to be underestimated, devastating for a few years. 

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

The trauma of losing your hair is not to be underestimated, devastating for a few years

I'm quite surprised that blokes still feel this way. It was different when I was young, bald men were definitely seen as old/ridiculous/unsexy. Definitely not attractive to women. But these days, it doesn't seem to be the case at all (at least past the age of about 25-30). Shaven heads seem to have been fashionable for many years now. 

I always had fine hair, not balding, just not massively full. The job I was in stipulated no severe haircuts, so if I grew it long it was during the winter off season and you couldn't have crew cuts. 95 I left that and by around 99 I was shaving my head. My brother and father were demonstrating what the future held for me. Between then and now I have gone from a number 3 all over to zero with a foil shaver. Fire it before it leaves is the adage. 

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm quite surprised that blokes still feel this way. It was different when I was young, bald men were definitely seen as old/ridiculous/unsexy. Definitely not attractive to women. But these days, it doesn't seem to be the case at all (at least past the age of about 25-30). Shaven heads seem to have been fashionable for many years now. 

I suppose it depends on how vain you are but I struggled for a few years when it started going, holding onto it and trying to hide it. I would be surprised if it hurt any less now, we seem more obsessed with our appearances than ever. I still feel a tinge of jealousy when I see a 70 year old bloke with a full rug ( must be a wig 😆) , I lost mine at 26! 

Between the ages of 18 and 22, I would have a grade cut every now and then. I didn’t need to, just experimenting with the look.

As a result when my hair really started thinning by the age of 30, it wasn’t particularly traumatic to lop it all off. 

Hair transplants or any sort of product were never considered. If I had my time again, I might have looked into it. I like having it super short, but occasionally it would be nice to have the option of something different.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Depends on the rest of your look, I think.

If you can pull off the rugged look with a bit of stubble or decent beard, it can look pretty cool, I think. I would look absolutely ludicrous bald, I have very fine, light hair, so facial hair just doesn't work. If I didn't have hair on top my head would look like a ping pong ball.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Hi all,

I’m 37 and my crown is thinning quite badly, my hairline isn’t receding too badly but the bald spot on the crown is pretty thin… long story short, should I just whip my hair off and go for a number 3 on the clippers all over? Or would it look worse? I don’t really want to bic it or shave close to the scalp, so I was thinking number 3 or 5 would look better.

Any help or advice is appreciated!

Oh man, we're so similar.  I'm 36 and my crown just (seemingly) suddenly started thinning out a few months ago.  I've always had a fair bit of hair, longer fringe in emo days etc and also aware that I think my head would be naturally egg-shaped without hair.  At the moment, I'm keeping all the hair... but I can tell the decision will be looming soon enough.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Depends on the rest of your look, I think.

If you can pull off the rugged look with a bit of stubble or decent beard, it can look pretty cool, I think. I would look absolutely ludicrous bald, I have very fine, light hair, so facial hair just doesn't work. If I didn't have hair on top my head would look like a ping pong ball.

Yeah, I guess I get that. My son-in-law (mid-30s) has gone completely bald, but he has a massive hipster beard. 

I'm destined to lose my hair on top, the kind where from above you'd look like a children's drawing of a flower. It's thinning already, and has been for a while - I can remember being sat on the bus going to work 7 or 8 years ago and noticing that I was sat in the seat with a camera right above it that was then shown on the screen by the stairs, and realising you could see my scalp through my hair then. It'll be worse now. 

I've still got a load of hair but the thinness right on top together with my having a head that doesn't suit any hairstyle is making me think I should just go for the buzzcut look.

Only read the first post, but the answer is yes. 

I guarantee you’ll feel 100 times better once it’s shaved off. 

Being paranoid about going thin on top is a horrible horrible feeling. I’ve been there. 

Once I bit the bullet and shaved it off it was an amazing feeling. 

Anyone who’s ever done it says they wish they’d done it sooner. 

It takes all the paranoia away, and it will actually Make you look LESS bald for quite a long time. Nothing looks worse than a balding bloke trying to cover it up. Just get rid of it. 

Go for a number 2 all over to start you off. Then as you get more bald over the next couple of years get shorter and shorter. 

Just get it done

• Like 3

14 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I did think about that… but if I get it done and then keep thinning I’ll have to get it topped up, plus there’s the expense. It is an option though I suppose, thanks mate 

I’d advise against it. It’s very expensive and like you said you have to keep getting it topped up. Unless you’re minted then I’d ignore that option. 

If you were adamant about not being bald then a better option would be these hair replacement things they do now, which is essentially a wig glued to your scalp that last for a few months. Still expensive as you’d have to keep going back and getting it done, but they generally look great. 

But honestly the best option is to shave it

• Thanks 1

I had to shave mine off at a younger age (24 I think). At first you will feel self conscious about it, and there are times you get singled out (airport security). But just embrace it, you’ll get used to it and it is so easy. Although be wary the first time you go out into the sun. 

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I get the impression that these days guys are more likely to get the piss taken out of them for their hairline receding.  Whereas before you wouldn't comment on it if it was happening to a mate, it seems like open season on social media and I can understand why the Instagram generation feel so anxious about it.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bickster said:

Wait til I change the title to Slaphead Convention ;)

On the one hand he's still got lots of hair, on the other, it's ginger, so you know, swings and roundabouts!

• Haha 1

I used to work with a guy that had quite rapidly lost his hair but hadn't really accepted it, so went for the comb over. Which I understood, I get why people go for it and up to a certain point you can make it work without looking like Bobby Charlton or Rab C Nesbitt. 

The problem was this guy had lost pretty much everything on top, his hairline was now on the nape of his neck, and his hair was fine and thinning all over where it was left. In the end he was combing over 5 or 6 thin strands of hair, unless you were stood right in front of him you couldn't even tell he was combing anything over, at any distance he just looked like a bald guy.

Eventually he realised himself that he was wasting his time trying to fight or hide the fact he'd lost his hair and just came in with the shaved look, and instantly seemed much more happy and at ease.

Â