Should I Just Whip My Hair Off?

alreadyexists

26 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I get the impression that these days guys are more likely to get the piss taken out of them for their hairline receding.    

Good observation - had it happen to me at the weekend, but it has happened before, and it will do again from family, friends, and strangers alike. Had it when I had longer hair and it was thinning, shorter hair, and shaved hair. I even had fun poked at me when I had hair because I liked long hair off the back of liking grunge music. No escape. 

It tends to begin with glaring at the target zones (this is what I refer to them as) of hair loss when I am sitting down (fairly tall) before the inevitable mentioning like an itch that has to be scratched for them. This has happened for so long, the prediction it will happen in my head often turns out to be correct. With family and friends, it never gets to offensive stage because I just make fun of my own hairline and my misfortunes with it. I'd rather make the jokes rather than them getting the crowd on their side. 

As many allude to above though, and especially during those initial phases, it can be hurtful. Unfortunately many folk do not grow out of the school ground mentality of poking fun. Bollox to any niceties, straight to taking the mick at somebody else's expense. I'd have to confess to being at family events etc., having a nice time initially, and something being said that tarnished the event, thus sending me home feeling dejected. Today, I ensure that the distributor of my physical deficiencies receives some reciprocal treatment. If you're obese, hard lines. Even at the weekend though, it is logged, remembered, and resented. 

Fortunately most people are nice, grow up, or at least have the decency not to poke fun. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bielesibub said:

The way to do it. I also had mega hair, not a rocker but one of the goths about town. Got pissed watching an England game and had it cut off by a mate with a pair of kitchen scissors. 20 odd years later and have never regretted it. Bald is beautiful.

funnily enough it was after I watched England U21s playing Holland that I chopped mine off, watched it in the Troc in town, got home and bzzzzzz it was all gone

1 hour ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

It's so nice just waking up without the need to prepare the hair for the day.

Best part is cold water applied direct to the bonce on a boiling hot day. Can't do that with hair :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

image.jpeg.7086fddd6e3c031d3317f055019dc748.jpeg

I’ve only gone and bloody done it!! Thanks all, I feel so much better about going for it after reading this thread. 
This is a 4 all over, might go down to a 2 or 3 once I’m used to the change. 

You look great mate. Well done takes courage to do it then post a pic 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I’ve only gone and bloody done it!! Thanks all, I feel so much better about going for it after reading this thread. 

Yep that's the way to do it mate. As it gets thinner go shorter.

I would also imagine that if you've only just noticed that you're going bald, other people you know won't have noticed yet. You'll be far more aware of it than they are.

It was months after I shaved my hair before someone asked me if I was going bald (a mate, he didn't just come out and say it). It's not as noticeable as you think, and getting it shorter means it'll go unnoticed for longer

• Thanks 1

I shaved mine off mid 20's as I always hated my hair and by around 26 I was starting to go grey. 

Turned 40 last year and finally decided to embrace the full silver fox and let it grow back. 

I was happy with it shaved but it's only with age, marriage and kids that I've grown comfortable in my skin and don't care anymore. 

Genuinely wish I had that level of self happiness 15/20 years ago. 

• Like 2

Yeah I constantly get bald jokes. It doesn't bother me at all now, I'm completely at peace with being bald. But I don't think anyone who hasn't gone bald themselves realises how traumatic it can be. If people had made those jokes while I was going bald and hadn't accepted it yet I'd have been devastated.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

You’ll be on bare clippers in no time I reckon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Dunno what you looked like before mate, but this suits you 👍

• Thanks 1

Timely thread. I just did 6 mm job. Shortest I've had since the military 25 years ago 😮

I have a very round melon but It's getting very thin up top

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 1

I shaved mine off about 12-15 years ago as I was getting a bit thin on the ol' noggin. Do not regret it one bit.

Is a bit boring having the same look all the time but I compensate by having a beard or a mustache or a clean shave so that's always an option.

No idea what it costs to get your hair done these days but I imagine I saved a fair bit of money over those years. Which I of course wasted on other crap,

Â