Rennes a July 30th 18:00 CET

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i think 4231 would be our best formation, with Couts, Buendia & Bailey in the AM three roles.

Who is the 1 up front.  Because so far this pre-season Watkins has looked like a liability.  I'd like to have seen them try with Archer but that is expected an awful lot of the lad.  But he looks the most natural option.  I think it also rather blocks JJ.  If we went that way I think I would like to see JJ (possibly slightly deeper) flanked by Couts and Emi2 with Bailey ahead.  It's a bit Man City / Barca but I genuinely can't see what Ollie offers at the moment other than someone who runs around a lot.

Just now, Talldarkandransome said:

Gerrard has said none of the captaincy roles guarantees a start

It must be why gerrard got carried away with the Captain thing.

So far we have a

Team Captain

Club Captain

Vice Captain

Assistant Vice Captain

Captain doris the Tea Lady

Captain Jack Sparrow

4 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

It’s still playing very much like a pre season friendly - slow. Luiz summed up in a few seconds about his last few years here. He genuinely doesn’t care about losing the ball in dangerous positions. Somebody that repeatedly does that suggests to me that it doesn’t hurt him enough. 

He's been the best of our CMs. Kamara has been a little all over the place. McGinn has been nowhere and Luiz is the only one trying to link with the coutinho through the middle. I think your being harsh tbh. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

I hate the fact mcginn is always starting. He's our worst player 9/10 games but starts weak in weak out because he's a true lads lad. 

People are going to start wheeling out stats and insisting that you ignore the evidence of your eyes.

• Like 1

The issue I have at the moment is our passing patterns are very predictable. We drop Kamara into a deep central position and we push the fullbacks very wide and play the ball out to them. This leads to either a deep cross or cutting inside to McGinn/Luiz who are very deep and there is no connection between the midfield and the forward players. As soon as an opposition presses our fullbacks we run out of options. 

When Buendia plays we have that player to link the two together but he's nowhere to be seen. Coutinho has been better today but he doesn't drive us forward, Watkins for all his faults just doesn't seem to suit the formation at all, nor does Ings.

At this point I'd rather drop Watkins and play Buendia with Bailey and Coutinho.

EDIT: Forgot Ramsey can do this job as well.

Edited by VillaAlex

2 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Where are you all watching this? I’m back home now and wanna watch the second half shit show.

A range of options

1 hour ago, AV82 said:

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

58 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The game is free on the Rennais official site

https://www.staderennais.com/amical-5-srfc-aston-villa-le-match-en-direct

Edit: but I don't have sound, but as it is probably in French it doesn't really matter to me :)

• Thanks 1

Just now, MotoMkali said:

I hate the fact mcginn is always starting. He's our worst player 9/10 games but starts weak in weak out because he's a true lads lad. 

i dont like mcginn

i dont like mcginn

i dont like mcginn

dude we got it jesus christ 

Just now, allani said:

Who is the 1 up front.  Because so far this pre-season Watkins has looked like a liability.  I'd like to have seen them try with Archer but that is expected an awful lot of the lad.  But he looks the most natural option.  I think it also rather blocks JJ.  If we went that way I think I would like to see JJ (possibly slightly deeper) flanked by Couts and Emi2 with Bailey ahead.  It's a bit Man City / Barca but I genuinely can't see what Ollie offers at the moment other than someone who runs around a lot.

Archer would be up for it. He has done well every time he has been asked to step up.

He gets in to great positions. I love Watkins, but he really needs to improve. And Ings looks so far to be past it.

Coutinho has been ineffective so far. Team looks disjointed, just like last few seasons, though I realise it is preseason, but even so, slightly worrying. 

• Like 1

Â