Rennes a July 30th 18:00 CET

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I remember one of O'Neil's preseasons had gone really well. We finished at home by beating Fiorentina 2-0 with a midfield 2 of Petrov and a very young Fabian Delph.

The following week, expectation was at fever pitch as lowly Wigan Athletic rolled into town for what was a rare opening day home fixture at Villa Park.

We lost 0-2 :D

Rodallega with a 30 yard volley, remember it well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

How many clubs’ fans are happy with “every performance”?

Very few, which is kind of the point. I don't think we've had a larger ratio of good performances over the course of Gerrard's tenure than Smith's. 

I still have a concern of McGinn and Luiz featuring in our midfield......I am not convinced, with this in terms of balance.

We lost 19 games last season, with them featuring heavily, not all down to them of course......but still teams do find an easy passage through our midfield.

Midfield this pre-season shows little signs of improvement, and yes, pre-season is what it is, but the signs from last season are still visible.

I actually think we look better when Tim comes on, despite his rawness and early years.....He does add a bit of strength and power, needed to deter willing opponents.

I hope we find something to render my thoughts unfounded and get off to a good start.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I still have a concern of McGinn and Luiz featuring in our midfield......I am not convinced, with this in terms of balance.

We lost 19 games last season, with them featuring heavily, not all down to them of course......but still teams do find an easy passage through our midfield.

Midfield this pre-season shows little signs of improvement, and yes, pre-season is what it is, but the signs from last season are still visible.

I actually think we look better when Tim comes on, despite his rawness and early years.....He does add a bit of strength and power, needed to deter willing opponents.

I hope we find something to render my thoughts unfounded and get off to a good start.

McGinn is now higher profile as captain. I can see him being ripped apart by the fans if we don't see a improvement on last season, I'll be one of them. As for Luiz, I know he has talent, but plays for us like it's not his priority in life.

7 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I remember one of O'Neil's preseasons had gone really well. We finished at home by beating Fiorentina 2-0 with a midfield 2 of Petrov and a very young Fabian Delph.

The following week, expectation was at fever pitch as lowly Wigan Athletic rolled into town for what was a rare opening day home fixture at Villa Park.

The season we nearly went down we beat Lepzig 3-1 in a final pre-season game.

• Like 1

I just watched the extended highlight and I thought we looked good against decent opposition who probably felt they should be beating us. 

So either the highlight didn’t give the full picture or the doom and gloom on here over the performance is a bit over the top. 

I suspect the truth is a combination of the two.

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I just watched the extended highlight and I thought we looked good against decent opposition who probably felt they should be beating us. 

So either the highlight didn’t give the full picture or the doom and gloom on here over the performance is a bit over the top. 

I suspect the truth is a combination of the two.

Just came here to post the same: just rewatched the highlights and we could/should have scored about 4 or 5 on good chances created. We seemed better second time around!

After our customary slow start, after the first 10 minutes we controlled the game albeit a bit scruffily and disjointedly, but hopefully the fluidity and understanding will develop. 

Rennes are a decent side, in Europe and were at home. The positive is our subs work well and we others unavailable too. As others have pointed out, this season becomes a squad game with the increased subs, and we have some top half depth and quality now.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

i just have last seasons opener burnt in to my mind, losing 3-1 to Watford.

I felt like i was undergoing some form of new age torture.

• Like 2

On 30/07/2022 at 20:55, TheAuthority said:

I remember that, its nice we can we laugh about it now.
tenor.gif?itemid=4838507&f=1&nofb=1

• Haha 1

Â