Summarise the Season - 21/22

Tayls

In my opinion this has been a frustrating and irritating season full of so much promise but ultimately full of silly , stupid errors all across the team. It is clear that many of the current first team squad are not good enough to take us to where the owners want us to be so I expect some pretty major surgery down the spine of the team. 

For me this last game summed up the season nicely. Lots of false hope littered with a whole swathe of atrocious passing to the opposition, soft goals and awful forward play. 

Watkins has been great at harrying and pressing but shocking at most everything else. 

McGinn has been very hit & miss with a myriad of poor misplaced passes and silly dives littering his game.

Luiz has been careless in possession far too often.

Mings has been good on occasion but is so error prone at other times.

Konsa has been really poor in possession and has not been himself.

Coutihno has shown some top class play but seems really unfit

Buendia does one good thing followed by one bad thing.

Ings has real quality but appeared to lose his shooting boots at the crucial part of the season/

Positives

Ramsey looks a real prospect (Though i feel lost his way for several weeks)

Chambers looks a steal and a fabulous squad player

Cash has continued to improve

Digne looks very good lately

Martinez looks good still 

Oh! & the Premier League is still quite clearly taylored for the success of the scummy 6.

Same **** Different day.

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 2

Yea another season of Transition, it's always the same with Villa.

Looking at the table fourteenth is bad however if we had won against Watford twice and picked up a draw against Brentford we would have finished eighth.

All ifs and buts though.

11 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yea another season of Transition, it's always the same with Villa.

Looking at the table fourteenth is bad however if we had won against Watford twice and picked up a draw against Brentford we would have finished eighth.

All ifs and buts though.

What do we mean by this? I see it a lot, I may have even said it myself. This is not a dig at you, ZZ, but it’s the most recent example.

The previous three seasons have been constant progress. We’ve transitioned from an also ran in the championship to a midtable team in the top flight. 

This season has been one of consolidation or stagnation depending on your view point (I can see the arguments to regard it as either or both). 

I’m just not sure what’s meant by it. It’s clearly not being framed as a good thing. And if this season is one of transition, I don’t see how the seasons leading up to it can also be regarded as that, because we improved each time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

What do we mean by this? I see it a lot, I may have even said it myself. This is not a dig at you, ZZ, but it’s the most recent example.

The previous three seasons have been constant progress. We’ve transitioned from an also ran in the championship to a midtable team in the top flight. 

This season has been one of consolidation or stagnation depending on your view point (I can see the arguments to regard it as either or both). 

I’m just not sure what’s meant by it. It’s clearly not being framed as a good thing. And if this season is one of transition, I don’t see how the seasons leading up to it can also be regarded as that, because we improved each time. 

We’d hoped that this was the season that we pushed on into a top 8 side. However, we lost Jack, had a mixed transfer window, dreadful pre season, changed manager and have now spent this season ‘transitioning’ from the Jack and Dean era to the Gerrard era. So now we have to hope next season is the season we push on into a top 8 side.

I get your point re consolidation but I see last season as that…first season back scrape relegation, second season mid table, this should have been better but there we go. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CVByrne said:

That capitulation will be played over and over  and over for decades

It really wont. If was a United or Liverpool win then yes. 

Nobody will care about this game in 2 weeks

Looking back, losing Grealish, especially in the way we did (publicly and close to the season start) really stunted any chance we realistically had at improving on 11th. That’s not exactly earth shattering news, but we had no time or plan to replace him. That’s not a knock on Purslow, I don’t really know how you plan to replace the face of the club.

The January window treated us well. Chambers, Coutinho, and Digne all seem to be quality additions.

There were glimpses of brilliance, and plenty of lapses.

This season was a rollercoaster. Hoping (and expecting) more consistency next season after a less tumultuous summer.

• Like 1

• Apart from Grealish's departure, I was happy with our summer business
  • Wasn't happy with the start of the season
  • Wasn't happy with Smith's sacking
  • Wasn't happy with Gerrard's appointment
  • Wasn't happy with Gerrard's initial tactics
  • Was shocked when we signed Coutinho, Digne, & Chambers
  • Enjoyed a little stretch at the end of Feb/beginning of March were we looked like we turned a corner tactically
  • Was extremely disappointed to see Gerrard dismantle that formation in late March
  • Lost interest in watching us after losing 4 in a row
  • Happy to see we signed Coutinho on a permanent deal at a fraction of the asking price/wage packet
  • Very pessimistic about next season after that horrific collapse yesterday and Gerrard's pathetic record against the top 7 teams.  

I know it's a bit irrelevant but looking at the points tally for this season reminds me again of how absurdly unlucky we were last season to not break our top half drought. 55 points this season would've had us 8th and 1 point off West Ham, most other seasons in fact and we'd have been around that area.

Genuinely only with Aston Villa could a team gather that many points and still finish bottom half. 

Could of been worse, basically. 

To lose that many games and not get relegated is a minor miracle. Turn 5 or 6 of them defeats into draws or the odd win and we are comfortably top 10. 

We need some grit and steel in our Midfield. Add that and I think next season we improve drastically. 

What worries me, is that has been the glaring issue for a number of seasons now and has yet to be addressed. 

Overall, not impressed but there are signs of the team we could be, if the recruitment is better. 

Edited by UpTheVilla26

5 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

We’d hoped that this was the season that we pushed on into a top 8 side. However, we lost Jack, had a mixed transfer window, dreadful pre season, changed manager and have now spent this season ‘transitioning’ from the Jack and Dean era to the Gerrard era. So now we have to hope next season is the season we push on into a top 8 side.

I get your point re consolidation but I see last season as that…first season back scrape relegation, second season mid table, this should have been better but there we go. 

That’s fine. I can accept this season is seen as a transitional season for the reason you stated. But then as per the post I original quoted it’s been another transitional season. Which implies the previous seasons leading up to it were too. 

Unless the idea is that every season we’re not finishing in the top six is a transitional season. In which case every season since 2010 has been a transitional one.

I’m just nitpicking a term we as football fans use, ultimately I think it’s used so much that it has little meaning when describing how a season went.

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

It really wont. If was a United or Liverpool win then yes. 

Nobody will care about this game in 2 weeks

Yeah Martin Tyler was of course talking about the QPR game yesterday and he was saying a right back scored the first goal in that game too... Nobody outside of man City fans remembers that, we all know the aguero goal but the story of that game and what actually happened, I haven't got a clue

And then because that game exists this one yeah will be special again for them but no one will care, people will remember what man City did, they won't a remember a thing about Aston Villa 

Give it 10 years and villa fans will struggle to remember who played for us in goal yesterday let alone everyone else 

9 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Personally I think it means one or two things...

Firstly preseason was hampered by losing our best player so in essence Villa transition from pre-best player to pre-best player. How to evolve without them and change for the better.

Secondly Villa were looking at better signings than ever before (on paper) which hopefully would have improved us.

To me transition is moving from one phase to another, from relegation candidates to midtable.

It could be argued every season is a transition though as Villa will be expected to improve next season, hence yet another transitional season.

• Like 1

Mostly rubbish.

Pros:

1. Coutinho 

2. Ramsey

3. Buendia

4. Chambers

Cons:

1. Smith out 

2. Bailey, Ings

3. Konsa has been a bit of a mixed bag 

4. Watkins' finishing has been largely dire

Undecided

1. Gerrard

Devastated when Smith left, although seemed the right call at the time. Keep making good signings but not kicking on because we lost an incredible player. 

Something to build on, not at all bad but very difficult to stay interested when we were playing so inconsistently and were really mired in the bottom half of mid-table 

This was a season of excuses. With a full preseason, Gerrard solidly in charge and some major signings to support our fairly strong squad, next season there are no excuses. We should be crossing the 50pt mark and in the top 8.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Personally I think it means one or two things...

Firstly preseason was hampered by losing our best player so in essence Villa transition from pre-best player to pre-best player. How to evolve without them and change for the better.

Secondly Villa were looking at better signings than ever before (on paper) which hopefully would have improved us.

To me transition is moving from one phase to another, from relegation candidates to midtable.

It could be argued every season is a transition though as Villa will be expected to improve next season, hence yet another transitional season.

Yep that’s fine. 

As per the end of your post, it can be applied to a great number of factors. To the extent that the majority of clubs in the majority of seasons could be considered in transition

That’s what I’m getting at.

Â